Proposals Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:28:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Proposals Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Proposals Thread  (Read 21175 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« on: October 08, 2015, 05:20:05 PM »
« edited: October 08, 2015, 05:22:17 PM by Senator Truman »

To avoid cluttering the convention with two dozen or so threads dealing with minute details of the Constitution, I would propose opening five main "mega-threads" on the following subjects:

1. The Regions (consolidation, devolution, powers held by the Regions vs. the feds, etc.) NOTE: ALREADY CREATED
2. The Bill of Rights (rights held by citizens, powers denied to the government)
3. Plan of Government (structure, size, and powers of the federal government)
4. Elections (regulations and methods for electing the federal government)
5. Transition (transferring power from the new government to the old, possibility of a reboot, etc.)

Once a rough draft has been agreed to, I would also suggest appointing a "Committee on Style" to put it all together into a concise, logical document.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 01:47:42 PM »

Mr. President and fellow Delegates:

While I heartily commend Cris for his thus-far phenomenal performance as Presiding Officer of this Convention, I must object to the current direction - or rather structure- of the ongoing debates. We have made the mistake of tying ourselves too closely to the model and text of the existing Constitution, with the result that debate has become chaotic and proposed reforms mired in the inadequacies of the status quo. I have attempted, over the last few days, to remedy this situation by proposing amendments to scrap each Article of the current Constitution individually; however, it has become evident that this approach is inadequate. I therefore propose the following resolution:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 03:05:51 PM »

I think that wiping the existing text is the right thing to do, it's only that we divided the debate on Article I into 2 threads (one for structure, size and elections of Senate and the other for powers of Senate and regions).

I think we can wipe all Article I and then rephrase it. It's only that we should respect the current formulation.

That's my proposal:

- Thread on Structure, size and elections of Senate: wipe and rephrase Sections 1, 2, 3, 4 of Article I.
- Thread on powers of Senate and regions: wipe and rephrase Sections 5, 6 of Article I. Also we might wipe Section 7 and create another Article interely focused on powers denied to the regions, instead of keeping it in Article I (there's not a real link). Also we might insert Section I of Article VII (about Amendments, that's a Senate thing) in Article I in place of Section 7.

What do you think?

I'm fine with this, but I still think it would be best if we agreed to erase the existing Constitution entirely before going any further.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 03:36:11 PM »

I would like to reiterate once again the absolute necessity of clarifying that we are drafting a NEW Constitution, not amending the existing document. The current process of offering amendments to the current text is confusing and counterproductive, tying the Convention to what all acknowledge to be a failed charter of government.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 11:08:45 AM »

I would like to reiterate once again the absolute necessity of clarifying that we are drafting a NEW Constitution, not amending the existing document. The current process of offering amendments to the current text is confusing and counterproductive, tying the Convention to what all acknowledge to be a failed charter of government.

We are already wiping the content of current Constitution articles. So we are re-writing the articles.
I think we should keep a minimum the current structure (Article I about Senate, Article II about Presidency/VP, Article III about regions).
About Article I: there are sections of Article I (regional rights) that have nothing to do with the Senate, and so we might insert that section in Article III (that's already about regions).

About the Cabinet: there isn't a Constitution article about Cabinet, but there are only amendments about it. So we might create another article about that.
But let's start with determine the number of regions and regional rights.

A sensible approach. Thanks for the clarification!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 07:11:16 PM »

In order to keep the Convention from going on forever, I would suggest that in the future we agree on a basic rough draft for each Article before proposing an official amendment. Rather than proposing five virtually identical amendments all dealing with the same issue, delegates would submit proposals/questions that the Convention would then vote on. In the event of competing proposals, a STV election would be held.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Once this rough draft is complete, the Convention would then appoint a "Committee on Style" to draft the final text.

Thoughts?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 11:07:54 AM »

Also, an idea for how the powers debate should proceed: to avoid having twenty-five separate amendments differing only in their allocation of a few powers, I propose that we give delegates 48-72 hours to discuss what powers should be vested in the federal government/the Regions. After that time, the P.O. will open a final vote. On their ballots, each delegate will list the powers they feel should belong to the federal government; all powers that are mentioned by a majority of the delegates will be included in the final draft of the Constitution.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 03:40:38 PM »

People have been talking about whether regions can be trusted over certain things and this issue of regional activity. I think we should look at having a clause that if a region becomes inactive that it falls under direct rule, until the inactivity issue is sorted - this would prevent having a one person legislature (for example).
This is an interesting idea. The U.S. Constitution has a clause that guarantees every state a "republican" form of government; perhaps we could tack this proposal on to the end of such.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies