Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 11:10:18 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2018 predictions for US Senate are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderators: Beet, Apocrypha)
| | |-+  Which of the following Social issues do you see a possible Conservative shift in
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Poll
Question: Which of the following Social issues do you see a possible Conservative shift in
Abortion   -24 (20.5%)
Immigration   -37 (31.6%)
Recreational Cannabis   -18 (15.4%)
SSM   -12 (10.3%)
Assisted Suicide   -2 (1.7%)
Death Penalty   -8 (6.8%)
None of the above   -15 (12.8%)
Other(please Specify)   -1 (0.9%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 117

Author Topic: Which of the following Social issues do you see a possible Conservative shift in  (Read 4355 times)
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -4.70

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 08:26:54 pm »
Ignore

Despite what JCL likes to imagine, SSM is over as an issue.  Polls show that Millenials who identify as CONSERVATIVE Republicans support its legalization by a healthy margin.  It's literally (even if you don't think the issues are analogous civil rights-wise) going to die the same death the interracial marriage debate did - whenever its opponents die off, it'll be settled and looked back on as barbaric that anyone ever opposed it.

I could see abortion having a conservative shift if more science emerges showing fetuses feeling pain and stuff like that ... at least a backlash against abortion on demand at any stage (which is already unpopular).  We'll probably see a conservative shift among Whites on immigration, but if they are also declining as a portion of the population, the net effect will probably be zero (I'd imagine new immigrants aren't exactly hardliners on the issue).

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

- Abraham Lincoln, 16th President
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 08:38:06 pm »
Ignore

Why do you guys see conservatives shifting on abortion, as opposed to say SSM? On SSM, many younger republicans support it, whereas with abortion there is much less of a generational gap.

The problem is the way this question is worded. I can't tell if it means "society is going to be more conservative on these issues" vs. "Conservatives are going to change their mind on these issues".

For the former, abortion and immigration.

For the later, SSM and maybe weed.

I don't know about immigration. I agree abortion might become a lot closer, especially if people like Joe Manchin and Brian Sandoval get a bigger national platform.

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

"Good speech and good looks covers man's every vice. Plain speech and plain looks covers man's every virtue."

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
Making America Great Again
TrumpDump
Rookie
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 07:47:31 am »
Ignore

Immigration and Abortion. Americans want their jobs back and planned parenthoods baby selling parts video showed people how evil they are.

Arizonian at Heart
Firstdegreeburns
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 05:57:40 pm »
Ignore

weed,

Santander
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 06:01:45 pm »
Ignore

Hopefully all of the above.

"We can't all be born rich, and handsome, and lucky, and that's why we have a Democratic Party." - Zell Miller

we get it, you're a horrible person.
Y'know, at least Santander embraces and admits to being a piece of s**t.
Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 06:09:32 pm »
Ignore

Immigration, unfortunately.

The result of a neocon and libertarian having a baby while drunk, and leaving it to be raised by hippie liberal wolves.
Here is my attempt and explaining my own confusing and contradictory views
Fmr. Acting Southern Del. The Saint
TheSaint250
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 09:15:11 pm »
Ignore

Misunderstood the question and voted SSM.

I really think none of them

Santa Clash: we're all saying Merry Christmas again
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: 5.13

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 11:44:05 pm »
Ignore

Abortion: In the long view, I expect that the levity with which we treat abortion will be viewed with horror by coming generations. In the shorter term, I don't think Roe will stand for very much longer.
Immigration: The shift has already happened.
Recreational cannabis: Recreational marijuana will be universally legal throughout the West very shortly but I can imagine it acquiring the same social stigma as tobacco. I know many young people who already view cannabis and cannabis "culture" in a very negative light.
SSM: A done deal.
Assisted Suicide: If anything, a 'liberal' shift will occur.
Death Penalty: I don't envision much movement at all.

The fundamental question of our time is whether the West has the will to survive. Do we have the confidence in our values to defend them at any cost? Do we have enough respect for our citizens to protect our borders? Do we have the desire and the courage to preserve our civilization in the face of those who would subvert and destroy it? - President Donald J. Trump
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -4.70

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 08:18:29 am »
Ignore

Abortion: In the long view, I expect that the levity with which we treat abortion will be viewed with horror by coming generations. In the shorter term, I don't think Roe will stand for very much longer.
Recreational cannabis: Recreational marijuana will be universally legal throughout the West very shortly but I can imagine it acquiring the same social stigma as tobacco. I know many young people who already view cannabis and cannabis "culture" in a very negative light.

I actually agree with all of this except for the death penalty ... I'm personally in favor of capital punishment, but I see that going away eventually.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

- Abraham Lincoln, 16th President
Arizonian at Heart
Firstdegreeburns
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 08:22:18 am »
Ignore

I hope all of this happens.

President fhtagn
fhtagn
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -5.39

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 10:29:44 am »
Ignore

^ this

I can see maybe abortion as well, but not nearly as much as immigration.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:33:39 am by Representative fhtagn »Logged

FF, but #FhtagnLiedAndTheProletariatDied.

20:59 <Peebs> now you're a coke-snorting McCambodian™
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 07:58:52 pm »
Ignore

I actually agree with all of this except for the death penalty ... I'm personally in favor of capital punishment, but I see that going away eventually.

I'm glad we were finally able to agree on something, Tom.

The fundamental question of our time is whether the West has the will to survive. Do we have the confidence in our values to defend them at any cost? Do we have enough respect for our citizens to protect our borders? Do we have the desire and the courage to preserve our civilization in the face of those who would subvert and destroy it? - President Donald J. Trump
My Immortal
tara gilesbie
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 08:00:09 pm »
Ignore

The future of Western civilization seems to be nihilism, narcissism, and a psychopathic "useless eaters" attitude towards everybody (which will unfortunately be especially prominent once antibiotics run out around the 2040s), so immigration is the only answer I can possibly see.

Worst time of the year.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2017, 06:00:53 pm »
Ignore

Immigration is the only issue I see a conservative renaissance. That's usually because of the fear that automation and jobs evaporating will create. That said, I don't disagree. I'm unfortunately of the belief Roe will stand as a horrific law that butchers babies. But the social mores are considered acceptable on that front and as secularism grows, Roe will stand. But we can probably cap it and that will see consensus on the Right.

Death penalty is probably going away, which I don't really like (although conservatives can probably remain split on it in the decades to come). I don't see a conservative social future. Gay marriage is done as a deal, drugs are done as a deal, largely. on balance, we're shifting to the left.

Between Two Majorities

“I die the king's faithful servant, but God's first.” -- St. Thomas More

"The wisest use of American strength is to advance freedom." -- President George W. Bush

#NeverTrump Republican
dw93
DWL
United States

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2017, 11:33:12 pm »
Ignore

Abortion unfortunately. Not enough of these draconian obstacles Conservatives are putting up to make it harder for a woman to get the procedure are being struck down in the courts, and there are a disturbing number of people that would support forcing a rape victim to give birth to the spawn of a criminal, which in my view is, in a way,  somewhat of a "Soft on crime" position, as your giving a criminal the satisfaction of being a parent, and keep in mind said criminal can use parental laws in many states to control his victim. As far as this issue is concerned, I'm very scared for the future.

We're already moving rightward on immigration (for better and for worse), Recreational Cannabis has, thankfully, been shifting left for years, and will continue to. I can see a day where it's legalized at the federal level (though the private prison industry will fight it tooth and nail). As for SSM, as others have said, it's a done deal. Assisted Suicide is a bit trickier. On the one hand, I can see an overall leftward shift on it, but at the same time, I can see a "Pro Life" movement emerging and one that's just as strong as the one that emerged after 1973. With the Death Penalty, that is seeing a leftward shift as well, which is unfortunate IMHO because the tax payer should not have to feed, cloth, and shelter a criminal who committed a heinous crime (and one that was done without any reasonable doubt) for the rest of their life.
Beet
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 12:48:18 pm »

Obviously the identity issues are going the worst, with abortion (hatred of women) and immigration (hatred of minorities) energizing conservatives the most. The other issues are all hit or miss. Overall, it's pretty much armageddon for liberals on social issues. I expect a hard right turn on the Court would entrench a conservative society deeply into American culture. However, this would be greatly resented by a not-so-conservative yet powerless urban majority.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:17:21 pm by Beet »Logged

"Clinton failed, Bush failed, and Obama failed [to start a nuclear war]. I won't fail." - Donald J. Trump
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
sjkqw
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 04:58:32 pm »
Ignore

I'm glad you are the voice of our generation!

Fashion. Football. Furniture Shopping

20:41   Classic   I think we need to abort any babies with autism so we won't end up with more people like smilo in our society

[9:01 PM] retromike22: no offense.... but I have occasionally realized that it is easier to understand your emotions and actions if I think it's a girl making those choices
Cath
Cathcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 05:33:02 pm »
Ignore

Abortion unfortunately. Not enough of these draconian obstacles Conservatives are putting up to make it harder for a woman to get the procedure are being struck down in the courts, and there are a disturbing number of people that would support forcing a rape victim to give birth to the spawn of a criminal, which in my view is, in a way,  somewhat of a "Soft on crime" position, as your giving a criminal the satisfaction of being a parent, and keep in mind said criminal can use parental laws in many states to control his victim. As far as this issue is concerned, I'm very scared for the future.

The "conservative" attitude on abortion in rape cases has nothing to do with the criminal. To conflate the snuffing out of the genetic offspring of a rapist with punishment or justice is to do either of those terms a gross miscarriage. I am unsure whether your position, or beet's interpretation of inherent misogyny in abortion opposition, is more absurd.

America.
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2017, 10:07:30 pm »
Ignore

It is a heavy burden but one that I accept gladly.

dw93
DWL
United States

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2017, 11:40:25 am »
Ignore

The "conservative" attitude on abortion in rape cases has nothing to do with the criminal. To conflate the snuffing out of the genetic offspring of a rapist with punishment or justice is to do either of those terms a gross miscarriage. I am unsure whether your position, or beet's interpretation of inherent misogyny in abortion opposition, is more absurd.

Obviously it doesn't have anything to do with the criminal, their still unintentionally letting the criminal  win though in my view. With that said, criminals aside,  I still think the conservatives not wanting to allow abortions in cases of rape is absurd and dangerous to a woman's mental and emotional health.
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2017, 12:04:19 am »
Ignore

It is a heavy burden but one that I accept gladly.

smilo! clash is spawn of the Great Satan!

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

"Good speech and good looks covers man's every vice. Plain speech and plain looks covers man's every virtue."

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
RIP guaranteed R senate supermajority
omegascarlet
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2017, 10:27:39 am »
Ignore

Caution: this poster is known to the State of California to cause cancer.
maga2020

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: 7.74

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2017, 07:09:26 am »
Ignore

Immigration and abortion, which is good news.

SSM and weed are petty issues and conceding them isn't that much of a problem (even if the former is actually immoral), hardly any single-issue voters here. On the other hand, there are plenty of them on immigration and abortion.

Two forgotten conservative shifts: guns and terrorism. People don't want gun grabbing policies and clearly see the left as weak on terrorism, they want strong leaders, terrorism has actually made the left close to unelectable in the West.

Endorsements
Senate:
AL: Roy Moore
AZ: Kelli Ward
FL: Rick Scott
IN: Todd Rokita
ME: Paul LePage
MI: Kid Rock
MO: Josh Hawley
NV: Danny Tarkanian
OH: Josh Mandel
PA: Lou Barletta
VA: Corey Stewart

Gubernatorial:
FL: Adam Putnam
IL: Bruce Rauner
KS: Kris Kobach
MI: Bill Schuette
NV: Adam Laxalt
PA: Scott Wagner
VA: Ed Gillespie
WI: Scott Walker
Santander
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2017, 09:14:13 am »
Ignore

Immigration and abortion, which is good news.

SSM and weed are petty issues and conceding them isn't that much of a problem (even if the former is actually immoral), hardly any single-issue voters here. On the other hand, there are plenty of them on immigration and abortion.

Smoking marijuana is immoral. I, for one, would not mind replacing our stoners with church-going immigrants.

"We can't all be born rich, and handsome, and lucky, and that's why we have a Democratic Party." - Zell Miller

we get it, you're a horrible person.
Y'know, at least Santander embraces and admits to being a piece of s**t.
Coraxion
YaBB God
Ethiopia

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2017, 09:43:20 am »
Ignore

None. Baby boomers will die and alt-right millennial sh!tlords will mature.

Senate Endorsements
AL: Doug Jones
NV: Jacky Rosen
AZ: Kyrsten Sinema
TX: Beto O'Rourke
UT: Jim Matheson
MO: Claire McCaskill
IN: Joe Donnelly
WV: Joe Manchin
MT: Jon Tester
ND: Heidi Heitkamp
WI: Tammy Baldwin