Which of the following Social issues do you see a possible Conservative shift in (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:26:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which of the following Social issues do you see a possible Conservative shift in (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following Social issues do you see a possible Conservative shift in
Abortion

Immigration

Recreational Cannabis

SSM

Assisted Suicide

Death Penalty

None of the above

Other(please Specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 119

Author Topic: Which of the following Social issues do you see a possible Conservative shift in  (Read 5745 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: October 25, 2015, 08:38:06 PM »

Why do you guys see conservatives shifting on abortion, as opposed to say SSM? On SSM, many younger republicans support it, whereas with abortion there is much less of a generational gap.

The problem is the way this question is worded. I can't tell if it means "society is going to be more conservative on these issues" vs. "Conservatives are going to change their mind on these issues".

For the former, abortion and immigration.

For the later, SSM and maybe weed.

I don't know about immigration. I agree abortion might become a lot closer, especially if people like Joe Manchin and Brian Sandoval get a bigger national platform.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 12:04:19 AM »

Abortion: In the long view, I expect that the levity with which we treat abortion will be viewed with horror by coming generations. In the shorter term, I don't think Roe will stand for very much longer.
Immigration: The shift has already happened.
Recreational cannabis: Recreational marijuana will be universally legal throughout the West very shortly but I can imagine it acquiring the same social stigma as tobacco. I know many young people who already view cannabis and cannabis "culture" in a very negative light.
SSM: A done deal.
Assisted Suicide: If anything, a 'liberal' shift will occur.
Death Penalty: I don't envision much movement at all.

I actually agree with all of this except for the death penalty ... I'm personally in favor of capital punishment, but I see that going away eventually.

I'm glad we were finally able to agree on something, Tom.

I'm glad you are the voice of our generation!

It is a heavy burden but one that I accept gladly.

smilo! clash is spawn of the Great Satan!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies