Wiping all current laws. (ADOPTED)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:35:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Wiping all current laws. (ADOPTED)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Wiping all current laws. (ADOPTED)  (Read 21843 times)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2015, 04:39:14 PM »

These laws can be passed in the new Atlasia.
I understand where you're coming from, but in the interim, we would temporarily be legalizing rape, murder, etc. and allow people to get away with the with no consequences.
The expectation would be that if we do a legislative repeal, we will simply revert to the status quo in America right now, then work from there. Laws are already in the books on those things. Smiley
This seems reasonable.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 03:33:49 PM »

For the sake of continuity, I would advise against using post-2004 U.S. laws as the basis for the new statute.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 03:37:22 PM »

So, things we need to decide...
1. If we do the legislative reboot, at what year in US policy do we start?
2. Do we get rid of judicial rulings as well?

For 1), I would recommend doing it now - the biggest piece of legislation we have recently had is Obamacare, and I am reasonably certain something similar to it would easily pass anyways (See Fritzcare). As for 2), I would say yes, since many of the rulings are based on laws that we would be repealing.

Therefore, I propose that we leave a section out requiring that legislation and rulings to roll over. Since this is non-binding I don't know if any more than that is required to get a vote on it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 04:06:23 PM »

These laws can be passed in the new Atlasia.
I understand where you're coming from, but in the interim, we would temporarily be legalizing rape, murder, etc. and allow people to get away with the with no consequences.

We would most likely just use United States Federal Statute as our base. If you were to check, you would find that Atlasia has never passed a law prohibiting murder; that's because it was already illegal through American law.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 06:25:41 PM »

We need a complete legislative reset I've said this before we've done everything we could've as a nation, we've solved almost every issue.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 07:13:27 PM »

We need a complete legislative reset I've said this before we've done everything we could've as a nation, we've solved almost every issue.

It's not just having solved every issue, but even knowing what's been done. The statute is so large now, it's nearly impossible to know everything that's in it. As such, you get laws that overlap incoherently because they were passed without knowing what came before.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 07:25:25 PM »

Exactly we have to many laws on the boasks about the same subject and since we also use the former U.S. Law we have a lot more than we need.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2015, 11:14:27 PM »

I like Evergreen's idea in theory, but I agree with Classic Conservative that it would be overly confusing. Perhaps we could allow 2/3 of the Regional legislatures to veto federal legislation instead?

That's similar to some reforms proposed in Mark Levin's book The Liberty Amendments I'd make it 3or4/5 for an override on federal legislation been as we're sticking with 5 regions.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2015, 05:49:37 PM »

I'd also add that for simplicity's sake it would make sense to simply adopt the current US legislative situation, like we did back in 2004. It might be fun to have people argue about Obamacare.

I fully support this. On a regional level, however, I'd like to have a vote of the people on wiping laws.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2015, 07:57:18 PM »

I'd also add that for simplicity's sake it would make sense to simply adopt the current US legislative situation, like we did back in 2004. It might be fun to have people argue about Obamacare.

I fully support this. On a regional level, however, I'd like to have a vote of the people on wiping laws.

The new Constitution will have to be approved by the voters, so this is already in place.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 08:17:05 PM »

I'd be fine with using the current US laws as a base. I don't think wiping them completely is a good idea. We have to start somewhere and go forward.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2015, 05:16:34 AM »

Wiping laws? Count me in! Cheesy

Seriously, though, a legislative reboot makes sense. The echo-chamber is a bit ominous--I'd love to hear someone give a devil's advocate critique on it--but I guess that isn't always a bad thing.

I disagree it's our own country we aren't the U.S.

Well, we need to start somewhere, right? Unless I've missed something (which is always a possibility) we'll need to choose some pre-existing set of laws. Modern-day US makes the most since, doesn't it? That's what the founders of Atlasia did.

If anyone has any creative alternate ideas, I'd be more than happy to hear them!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2015, 01:08:41 PM »

I guess the devil's advocate point of view is that people become attached to their accomplishments. Wiping them all out would alienate long-time players who would effectively be left as if they had never existed.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2015, 08:20:55 PM »

I would go along with the policy of wiping all laws from the records, using the existing United States laws as a base, allowing for a new beginning for a new Atlasia.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2015, 03:23:14 AM »

I guess the devil's advocate point of view is that people become attached to their accomplishments. Wiping them all out would alienate long-time players who would effectively be left as if they had never existed.

Not really. I suppose it depends on how the wiki is restructured. It would be more hope that the old laws are left on there under the Senates on the Statute page, but with a divider or something seperating it from the new era's statute's and a note stating the terms of the legislative reset. That way they are part of the historical record, even if they no longer have the force of law.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2015, 03:24:40 AM »

The purpose of a legislative reset is so that new players have a better idea of where to start from without having to dig through 11 years of wiki pages. Deleting all the US statutes as well goes to the other extreme and once again fails to accomplish that primary task behind the legislative reset.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2015, 03:49:38 PM »

Would you be open to support wiping regional governments's laws too, in order to let regional governments be more active?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2015, 04:03:35 PM »

Would you be open to support wiping regional governments's laws too, in order to let regional governments be more active?

this has to be part of the deal, yeah. there's a lot of old stuff that's awful in various ways (and in the pacific's case, plenty of new stuff as well)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2015, 05:34:26 PM »

If our concern is having 11 years of statute confuses new players then it is probably even more important to reset at the regional level, where many new players get their start in the game.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2015, 10:08:40 PM »

If our concern is having 11 years of statute confuses new players then it is probably even more important to reset at the regional level, where many new players get their start in the game.

Agreed.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2015, 08:19:58 PM »

Most definitely.

Wiping all federal laws and all regional laws is really the only way to go for a new Atlasia.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2015, 06:06:28 PM »

I move for a principle vote one wiping all current regional and federal laws and replacing them with the US laws up until the moment the constitution goes live.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »

I move for a principle vote one wiping all current regional and federal laws and replacing them with the US laws up until the moment the constitution goes live.
I second this motion.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 03:10:25 PM »

I second this motion.
I third it - although I don't support wiping every law.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »

This step must be taken for a truly new Atlasia.

Otherwise, Atlasia will forever be mired in the swamps and wastelands of the past.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies