Powers of federal govt (Senate) and of regional govts. (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:25:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Powers of federal govt (Senate) and of regional govts. (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Powers of federal govt (Senate) and of regional govts. (Debating)  (Read 25415 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: October 10, 2015, 09:27:41 AM »

The problem (which I think is continued by just changing each individual section individually) was that the constitution basically stipulated almost every important detail of atlasia so to change anything had to be done via a constitution (there is no reason, for example, that the constitution rather than legislation should stipulate the activity standard for voting in elections, say). That plus the awful quality of the writing meant the flow of amendments.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 10:52:22 AM »

If we're going to have a constitution like the one we do now, which covers almost every issue under the sun in oppressive detail (which, disappointingly, seems to be the track we're on) then we need to have, if anything, a lower threshold to pass. It was borderline impossible for us to change anything before due to a combination of gubernatorial inaction, vested interests, uninterested zombies and unthinking conservatism and if we repeat the same thing again, you can mark my words that the game will be gone within a year.

Either we have a minimalist US style constitution and then we can talk about a higher threshhold or we have a constitution like it is now with better grammar and a lower threshhold. Anything else would be disastrous.

I do agree with set aside days and SOFE implemention, and frankly the consistent,crazy, opposition to the latter was always one of the most depressing aspects of the old atlasia.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »

History has indicated that the threshold for amending the Constitution needs to be high to mitigate the high levels of extremism in Atlasia. Being vague is perfectly fine.

Well the fact that no reform measures, whether consolidation, districts, bicameralism, giving control over amendments to the SOFE and so on and so on and so on, despite them all having more than majority support and in most cases supermajority support among active players, passed suggests that it already is a really high threshold and in fact, too high.

Again though, this would be far more bearable if it weren't for the fact that to change anything in the game of any importance requires changing the constitution.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 12:16:17 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2015, 12:18:01 PM by President bore »

I think the senate is overmighty as it is when it comes to the federal government, and we shouldn't be giving them even more powers.

Also, seeing as we're going for a new and clearer constitution there's no need to reproduce the archaic language and archaic sections of the old one.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 01:57:54 PM »

I object, for the reasons mentioned above.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:58:59 AM »

Nay
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 06:17:54 AM »

I support Truman's proposal.

JCL's would lead to a federal government that's larger than ever without the power to actually do anything, which would lead to a lot of thumb twiddling.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 05:12:21 PM »

1. AYE
2. AYE
3. AYE
4. AYE
5. AYE
6. AYE
7. AYE
8. AYE