The Politics Test: #9
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:25:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  The Politics Test: #9
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Religious matters are not within the jurisdiction of the government
Strongly Agree

Agree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: The Politics Test: #9  (Read 647 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2015, 04:03:02 PM »

1. Strongly Agree. 71/29, 54/16/15/15
2. Agree. 52/48, 43/10/26/21
3. Disagree. 21/79, 4/17/38/42
4. Strongly Agree. 70/30, 55/14/14/16
5. Strongly Agree. 87/13, 58/28/5/8
6. Strongly Agree. 87/13, 60/27/7/7

Keep voting on proposition 7
Keep voting on proposition 8

Strongly Agree. Only when someone's religious liberty is violated should government step in.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 04:07:04 PM »

Depends on context
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 04:09:29 PM »

Strongly agree.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »

Strongly agree, with certain caveats.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 06:03:11 PM »

Strongly agree, although I don't consider the Kim Davis issue and others of her ilk a "religious matter."
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 06:11:32 PM »

Disagree, the government should fund churches, religious charities and religious school in the communities, as well as protect and preserve the major religion in that country. The religious views of a religious entity can be taken in account by legislators when making a law, and the justification for this law can be religion,this can be the case as long as this doesn't hurt or harm others and put people in an unequal footing.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 06:26:49 PM »

Disagree, the government should fund churches, religious charities and religious school in the communities, as well as protect and preserve the major religion in that country. The religious views of a religious entity can be taken in account by legislators when making a law, and the justification for this law can be religion,this can be the case as long as this doesn't hurt or harm others and put people in an unequal footing.

If your only justification for a law is religion, you have a bad law.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »

Strongly Agree
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 07:23:46 PM »

I mean you can justify why you like this law for your religious beliefs, while the law must have secular backing in it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »

Disagree, the government should fund churches, religious charities and religious school in the communities, as well as protect and preserve the major religion in that country.

Why should that be the government's job?  Especially when not all of the citizens who pay taxes to it follow that religion?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 07:33:56 PM »

Agree in the sense that there should be a separation of church and state, but I agree with Crab. The question is very vague and depends on context.

I guess this would be consistent if you want completely abolish organized religion, but I don't see how you can totally divorce religious beliefs and their influence on public policy, as long as religion does exist, even under total separation of church and state. If someone believes in a certain religion, that religion is going to have an impact on their views in some form or another.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 07:53:10 PM »

Poverty, banking practices, warfare ... religions have things to say about all these matters.  I really have no idea what this question is supposed to be asking.  It could mean opposite things depending on how you interpret it.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 08:08:36 PM »

Strongly Disagree. This is an idiotic question because religion is an integral part of our society, and certainly should not be wholesale ignored. As shua points out, "religious matters" is pretty damn broad!
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 10:09:07 PM »

Strongly disagree; religious practices should be heavily regulated by the federal government. Of course, that's not to say that people should be punished for practicing religion, but government policy should be strictly opposed to allowing adults to indoctrinate children with religious beliefs that they do not, in all honesty, get to choose for themselves.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 10:40:26 PM »

Which is why I disagree rather than take a strong position
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 10:40:58 PM »

What the hell does this even mean? I'll vote "agree" but I find this statement to be incredibly vague.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 10:50:35 PM »

What the hell does this even mean? (...) I find this statement to be incredibly vague.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 03:41:40 AM »

The interpretation of this question is up to you. Some of these are like that, honestly I thought it was pretty simple. Just define what 'religious matters' are and then agree or disagree to the jurisdiction to whether the government can get involved. For me, religious matters are ones that are most personal, like going to church and raising money for charity, so I don't think the government should get involved.

Isn't this religious favoritism, strictly against the 1st amendment?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 03:44:24 AM »

The interpretation of this question is up to you. Some of these are like that, honestly I thought it was pretty simple. Just define what 'religious matters' are and then agree or disagree to the jurisdiction to whether the government can get involved. For me, religious matters are ones that are most personal, like going to church and raising money for charity, so I don't think the government should get involved.

I mean if I was in the US, a bit, I mean protecting the major religion of the country, while allowing religious freedom and the freedom of religion. Alas, I am not in the Us but I don't know Australian constitution, so I have no idea what it states in the Australian Constitution.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 03:50:31 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2015, 03:53:11 AM by ElectionsGuy »

I mean if I was in the US, a bit, I mean protecting the major religion of the country, while allowing religious freedom and the freedom of religion. Alas, I am not in the Us but I don't know Australian constitution, so I have no idea what it states in the Australian Constitution.

Then again, it depends on 'protect and preserve'. I assume that means treating the major religion in a different way than others. Many candidates in the US could and have run on 'Judea-Christian' (probably botched that spelling) values, not many have run on 'protecting and preserving' Christianity since its not really necessary.

You could also just answer the question in Australia's context, which is probably what you did (and I realize that questioning you was unnecessary if that's the case Tongue)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies