transgender individuals in the girls HS locker room?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:54:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  transgender individuals in the girls HS locker room?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: transgender individuals in the girls HS locker room?  (Read 9891 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2015, 08:52:03 AM »

I earned my SJW card today. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2015, 09:42:33 AM »

Torie: please change the title, it's actually worse than the old one, as you are implicitly misgendering the student instead of  using a mildly offensive word

Done. Thanks for pointing it out.
Transgendered

It's hard to teach on old dog new tricks. Sad
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2015, 10:02:03 AM »

Biological male in the boys room, biological female in the girls room.

For one thing, I'd be very worried about a girl in the boys room being harassed badly, and a boy in the girls room would make the girls feel very, very uncomfortable. either way there are lots of liability issues. In any event, I don't think we need to open this can of worms, so anatomy dictates where you shower. I think that's reasonable.

And outside of Catholic schools, I haven't really heard of an American HS shower room being anything other than a military style group shower. That's not to say that shower rooms offering more privacy don't exist in your posher areas, but they are unusual.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2015, 11:45:47 AM »

Biological male in the boys room, biological female in the girls room.

For one thing, I'd be very worried about a girl in the boys room being harassed badly, and a boy in the girls room would make the girls feel very, very uncomfortable.

Your second sentence is a good point, but contradicts your first.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2015, 11:58:11 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2015, 12:01:51 PM by DavidB. »

So it's okay to misgender people as long as they aren't present? wow.
"Misgendering" is obviously just a point of view. There are different opinions on that. And again, I'd always call people on this forum as they wish, but I think it should be allowed to call non-forum members with male biological characteristics men.

(And even if people disagree about that, a sincere debate about this should be able to be held, which is why I find it bizarre that someone took the effort to report my last post.)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »

One day, there will probably just be one unisex locker/bath room for everyone, or a bunch of individual unisex locker/bath rooms.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2015, 12:06:26 PM »

How long until Cultural Marxists begin to normalize pedophilia as being just an alternative form of sexuality that people are born with, a lifestyle that should be respected?

I fully expect this to be the SJW cause celebre in a couple of decades yes

In my experience it's the MRA/anti-SJW types who tend to be more "supportive" of pedophilia, if anything.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2015, 12:07:07 PM »

First world problems.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2015, 12:31:53 PM »

Those can be hard enough for the ones affected.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2015, 12:38:47 PM »

mmh. transgender people, as we all know, literally don't exist outside of "developed" countries.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2015, 12:42:59 PM »

mmh. transgender people, as we all know, literally don't exist outside of "developed" countries.

Sure, but the issue would never be raised in fx an African context, so in that sense it is a first world problem. You need to get well past mere survival to care about these things.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2015, 12:54:21 PM »

Sure, but the issue would never be raised in fx an African context, so in that sense it is a first world problem. You need to get well past mere survival to care about these things.

Well, as you know as well as I do, we do see transpeople in the context of non-western cultures, in developing countries; so I would hardly call it a first world problem. Even so, it's a bit ridiculous for someone like kataak, who basically embodies first world problems, to complain.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »

Well, as you know as well as I do, we do see transpeople in the context of non-Western cultures, in developing countries; so I would hardly call it a first world problem. Even so, it's a bit ridiculous for someone like kataak, who basically embodies first world problems, to complain.

Of course we see transpeople in developing countries, but they act differently, to some extent think differently and would never raise an issue like this. It would be far down they list of problems. So in that sense it is a first world issue - something that you need a certain level of material security and a certain amount of freedom to focus on.

Agreed on kataak btw.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2015, 01:13:08 PM »

Who cares about stupid locker rooms.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2015, 01:17:10 PM »

Lots of people. Locker rooms are traumatic places.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2015, 01:21:15 PM »

The people saying that transgender individuals shouldn't be allowed to utilize them.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2015, 01:57:29 PM »

"This issue doesn't effect me personally so it must not matter"
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2015, 01:57:58 PM »

My high school just had a third locker room for people who felt uncomfortable changing in either of the gender-specific locker rooms. As far as I know, it never lead to any problems.
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2015, 03:17:27 PM »

My high school just had a third locker room for people who felt uncomfortable changing in either of the gender-specific locker rooms. As far as I know, it never lead to any problems.

Next reason to think that US is strange country. Many students in high school thinks that they are adult but that doesn't mean that they should be allowed to smoke cigarettes in school. Similarly with people who thinks that they are opposite sex while they are not. I don't see any reason for allowing them to both use locker rooms of the opposite sex or some other than the rest. The first case is pretty simple - it will make other student feel not comfortable and may lead to inappropriate situations and protests of both students and parents. Second case is just wasting school's money on whims of people who have problems with their identity/mental health/are just attention hungry.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2015, 03:19:35 PM »

Next reason to think that US is strange country. Many students in high school thinks that they are adult but that doesn't mean that they should be allowed to smoke cigarettes in school. Similarly with people who thinks that they are opposite sex while they are not. I don't see any reason for allowing them to both use locker rooms of the opposite sex or some other than the rest. The first case is pretty simple - it will make other student feel not comfortable and may lead to inappropriate situations and protests of both students and parents. Second case is just wasting school's money on whims of people who have problems with their identity/mental health/are just attention hungry.

Roll Eyes
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2015, 03:36:14 PM »

Roll Eyes

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »

I played some sports (not super serious, but for fun), I've been in a locker room, shower room, etc., and this is just not something I would want. It would affect a lot of interpersonal stuff in addition to what I mentioned earlier.

I totally support SSM and so forth, but this is an area where I draw the line. It would create dysfunction, and I'm willing to bet the people who support this have never functioned in a locker room. Professionals have a hard time with this, kids would go bonkers.

Please burn it promptly. Tongue

I disagree. At least, you have to make an effort to fit in like you do anywhere.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »

You literally said "a girl in the boys room would be harassed badly" which is correct! A transgirl in the boys bathroom would be harassed badly!  Likewise, you suggested that "a boy in the girls room would make girs feel uncomfortable". I also agree! A transboy in the girl's room would certainly make many girls uncomfortable.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2015, 05:36:41 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2015, 05:38:18 PM by low-energy loser evergreen »

see the thing is, dempgh,
if we put aside human rights every time someone felt ~uncomfortable~ about them, we wouldn't have any form of human rights.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2015, 05:43:56 PM »

see the thing is, dempgh,
if we put aside human rights every time someone felt ~uncomfortable~ about them, we wouldn't have any form of equality.
How did going to a locker room/bathroom of the opposite sex if you feel like it suddenly become a "human right"? Smiley

To me, the solution seems clear: people who have fully transitioned should be able to go to the bathroom/locker room of their new gender, and people who haven't yet fully transitioned shouldn't.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies