Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:59:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 72
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 190135 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: May 12, 2018, 06:49:29 PM »

Yikes what a crapshow. Any ideas for a name for the new parti?
The ex-Bloc MPs will registere under the name Québec Debout.
Some have said they would welcome federalists wanting to work with them to defend Quebec's interests, that they are not stricly for sovereignists. The new Bloc VP called the new party crypto federalists.

Mario Beaulieu has decided to stay in the Bloc but will work to defeat Ouellet. 
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1426 on: May 13, 2018, 01:38:00 AM »

Wait I thought Beaulieu was a hardcore seperatist, what's his beef with Ouellet?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1427 on: May 13, 2018, 03:20:49 PM »

Wait I thought Beaulieu was a hardcore seperatist, what's his beef with Ouellet?

He considers her management of the crisis to have hurt the party and, as such, is a terrible party leader who brought division into the party.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1428 on: May 13, 2018, 03:25:46 PM »

Bit rich from what I remember of his leadership of the party.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1429 on: May 13, 2018, 07:01:21 PM »

Bit rich from what I remember of his leadership of the party.

To be fair to him, he actually stepped down when he realized it wasn't working well for the party.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1430 on: May 17, 2018, 06:48:15 AM »

Angus Reid has released a detailed poll about the Trudeau government's summer job abortion attestation.

The results are decidedly mixed. Opinion of the policy is divided exactly 50/50. When polled further, Canadians generally oppose the attestation when applied to things like churches running a soup kitchen, but support it when applied to political activism (which is fair IMO, so long as it's applied to all political activism).

I was surprised at the relative lack of partisanship on this issue. A large minority of Tory voters support the attestation and large minorities of Liberals and NDP supporters oppose it. I guess there are more pro-choicers absolutists on the right and more civil liberties absolutists on the left than I thought.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1431 on: May 17, 2018, 05:55:06 PM »

Angus Reid has released a detailed poll about the Trudeau government's summer job abortion attestation.

The results are decidedly mixed. Opinion of the policy is divided exactly 50/50. When polled further, Canadians generally oppose the attestation when applied to things like churches running a soup kitchen, but support it when applied to political activism (which is fair IMO, so long as it's applied to all political activism).

I was surprised at the relative lack of partisanship on this issue. A large minority of Tory voters support the attestation and large minorities of Liberals and NDP supporters oppose it. I guess there are more pro-choicers absolutists on the right and more civil liberties absolutists on the left than I thought.

There is also a very significant part of Tory voters which are pro-choice.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1432 on: May 17, 2018, 06:27:37 PM »

Patrick Brown's being wooed to run for Peel Region mayor but is noncommittal so far. Could be a comeback perch if he ran and won.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1433 on: May 18, 2018, 06:22:24 AM »

Will believe it when I see it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1434 on: May 18, 2018, 07:11:22 AM »

There is also a very significant part of Tory voters which are pro-choice.

Oh I'm aware of that. I just figured that if they were that attached to abortion rights, they wouldn't vote Tory and therefore would be more partisan on this attestation issue. The same goes for why I'm surprised at how many Liberals and NDPers opposed the attestation.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1435 on: May 19, 2018, 12:06:35 PM »

Regions do not have mayors. He would be running for chair.

Good call. Now if they could only re-name the provincial riding Duplessis to something less offensive.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1436 on: May 19, 2018, 02:44:08 PM »

Why do they even name ridings after people in Quebec? Anything newer than Sir John A is bound to be controversial.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1437 on: May 19, 2018, 06:34:36 PM »

Another name change for federal riding.. Saint-Hyacinthe-Bagot will become Saint-Hyacinthe-Acton so the MRC d'Acton feels included and represented.

https://www.lavoixdelest.ca/actualites/nouveau-nom-meme-identite-40d819ad72b947ec0d620530d9ce48b7

The article says it's part of riding name changes wanted by MPs in bill C-402 that looks to be in Senate now and take effect in next election.
http://www.parl.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&billId=9831496

Nova Scotia:
Cape Breton—Canso becomes Cape Breton—North Nova
South Shore—St. Margarets becomes South Nova
Sydney—Victoria becomes Cape Breton by the Sea

Quebec:
Bellechasse—Les Etchemins—Lévis becomes Lévis—Bellechasse—Etchemins
Jonquière becomes Jonquière—Haut-Saguenay
Manicouagan becomes Côte-Nord
Saint-Hyacinthe—Bagot becomes Saint-Hyacinthe—Acton

Ontario:
Mississauga—Streetsville becomes Streetsville—Meadowvale—Lisgar
Nickel Belt becomes Greater Sudbury—Nickel Belt

Manitoba:
Charleswood—St. James—Assiniboia—Headingley becomes Winnipeg West—Headingley

Saskatchewan:
Regina—Lewvan becomes Regina West

Alberta:
Calgary Signal Hill becomes Calgary West
Fort McMurray—Cold Lake becomes Fort McMurray—Lac La Biche—Cold Lake

British Columbia:
Burnaby South becomes Burnaby—Douglas
Langley—Aldergrove becomes Langley—West Abbotsford
Mission—Matsqui—Fraser Canyon becomes Abbotsford—Mission—Fraser Canyon

While looking for C-402 I came across another riding name change but it's not at the same legislative stage.  C-377 would change Châteauguay—Lacolle to Châteauguay—Les Jardins-de-Napierville.

http://www.parl.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&billId=9096762
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1438 on: May 19, 2018, 07:19:16 PM »

Why do they even name ridings after people in Quebec? Anything newer than Sir John A is bound to be controversial.

I imagine historically it was a way to honor political or historical figures and names are now kept because of history. For example there are 13 names of Premiers When Montreal ridings with people name merged instead of finding a new name both names were kept (like Bourassa-Sauvé, Jeanne Mance-Viger, Laurier-Dorion).

Unfortunately it's not a tradition of the past with the renaming of Crémazie to Maurice-Richard. I don't know what will happen if we get a mixed proportional system and the number of ridings reduced, if all people's name will be gone.   
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1439 on: May 19, 2018, 10:16:45 PM »

The issue is than the constituency is named about the touristic region (for historical reasons Côte-Nord is split in two touristic regions; Manicouagan and Duplessis) and the border of both constituencies and touristic regions are similar.

Note they recently merged, but obviously, the names are still used.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1440 on: May 21, 2018, 05:45:37 PM »

Notley's skipping the western premiers meeting and will send her deputy because in her words, Horgan's choking the Albertan and national economies.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1441 on: May 21, 2018, 06:02:18 PM »

Notley's skipping the western premiers meeting and will send her deputy because in her words, Horgan's choking the Albertan and national economies.

Can the federal NDP kick her out already?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1442 on: May 23, 2018, 06:44:27 PM »

Another name change for federal riding.. Saint-Hyacinthe-Bagot will become Saint-Hyacinthe-Acton so the MRC d'Acton feels included and represented.

https://www.lavoixdelest.ca/actualites/nouveau-nom-meme-identite-40d819ad72b947ec0d620530d9ce48b7

The article says it's part of riding name changes wanted by MPs in bill C-402 that looks to be in Senate now and take effect in next election.

Nova Scotia:

Quebec:

Ontario:

Manitoba:

Saskatchewan:

Alberta:

British Columbia:

While looking for C-402 I came across another riding name change but it's not at the same legislative stage.  C-377 would change Châteauguay—Lacolle to Châteauguay—Les Jardins-de-Napierville.

Most of these are terrible, but I'm glad to see the undoing of the dumb idea of listing the names within a riding name alphabetically in Quebec.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1443 on: May 23, 2018, 07:03:04 PM »

York Centre should be changed to Downsview.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1444 on: May 23, 2018, 07:12:38 PM »

York Centre should be changed to Downsview.

Or Downsview-Wilson Heights
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1445 on: May 24, 2018, 04:47:03 AM »

Nova Scotia:

Quebec:

Ontario:

Manitoba:

Saskatchewan:

Alberta:

British Columbia:

Most of these are terrible, but I'm glad to see the undoing of the dumb idea of listing the names within a riding name alphabetically in Quebec.

Those Nova Scotia names are AWFUL!

What is it with our government and calling every non-Halifax mainland riding _____ Nova?! Cape Breton-Canso, Sydney-Victoria and South Shore-St.Margaret's are all all accurate names for the places that people actually use in real life. Also, Cape Breton By The Sea sounds like a lame tourist slogan. Next redistribution I'm making a submission protesting these stupid, godawful names.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1446 on: May 24, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »

Inserting tourist names into riding names is the whole new rage, don't you know? At least it's now as bad as Leeds-Grenville-Thousand Islands and Rideau Lakes.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #1447 on: May 28, 2018, 11:25:07 PM »

Sounds like Kinder Morgan will go ahead with rumours the federal government will buy out the pipeline.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/feds-to-announce-tuesday-morning-that-trans-mountain-moving-forward-1.3949175

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-05-29/canada-said-likely-to-buy-full-trans-mountain-pipeline-project-jhr1as22?__twitter_impression=true
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1448 on: May 29, 2018, 12:07:58 AM »

Shameful. Government shouldn't waste out money in Alberta's vanity project.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #1449 on: May 29, 2018, 12:17:43 AM »

Nova Scotia:

Quebec:

Ontario:

Manitoba:

Saskatchewan:

Alberta:

British Columbia:

Those Nova Scotia names are AWFUL!

What is it with our government and calling every non-Halifax mainland riding _____ Nova?! Cape Breton-Canso, Sydney-Victoria and South Shore-St.Margaret's are all all accurate names for the places that people actually use in real life. Also, Cape Breton By The Sea sounds like a lame tourist slogan. Next redistribution I'm making a submission protesting these stupid, godawful names.

I’m not a fan of the inconsistencies in the name changes in Calgary and Mississauga. For Calgary, Signal Hill was never the best name, but it was a lot more descriptive than some of the other riding names the commission came up with, like Calgary Rocky Ridge or Calgary Skyview (both are named after small, relatively insignificant communities in the ridings). At least with Signal Hill, the name had a historical connection to the name of the prominent hill in the rough centre of the riding on which the community of Signal Hill is no built. It makes no sense to revert to a directional name only for Signal Hill but not for many of the other ridings in the city. Similarly for Mississauga, someone with local knowledge may be able to correct me on why it’s appropriate, but it strikes me as odd that now one of the six ridings there will omit the word Mississauga for no apparent reason.

I’m not a huge fan of putting tax dollars towards this, but if this is what it’s come to, then so be it at this point. We need this pipeline built.

Shameful. Government shouldn't waste out money in Alberta's vanity project.

Seriously, “Alberta’s vanity project”? That’s incredibly dismissive of the importance of this project. Alberta, and Canada, lose out on billions of tax dollars and economic activity in the absence of greater access to tidewater for our natural resources. And economically speaking, we need to have the ability to sell to more markets than only that of the US. Kinder Morgan has toiled, deservedly, for years going through the nevessary approval processes and doing their due diligence, but having gone through these steps, they deserve better than to have their project essentially held hostage by local and provincial governments in BC.

It’s attitudes like this which stoke feelings of western alienation here in Alberta. And I’m saying that as one who has always said rolled my eyes whenever someone has tried to claim that the eastern provinces don’t care about Alberta. I still don’t believe that, but having seen sentiments like this expressed by several of those from the other side of the country with no understanding of our dire need for more pipelines to tidewater, I have a much better understanding of where those feelings of western alienation come from.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies