Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:31:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 72
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 190188 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: August 23, 2018, 03:39:44 PM »
« edited: August 23, 2018, 03:56:49 PM by DC Al Fine »

Is it brave or foolhardy for a Quebec based politician to have ending supply management as one of his signature issues?

Foolhardy

Bernier probably lost the leadership race due to it. Andrew Scheer won a lot of rural Quebec seats thanks to pissed off dairy farmers that should have been easy wins for Maxime.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1576 on: August 23, 2018, 03:49:49 PM »

This is all very frustrating as a Tory. I didn't think Scheer would win the election for is but he was low risk and could capitalize to of events went our way. Though I don't think Bernier's party will be Reform 2.0, even a modest showing on his part could screw us out of a lot of seats.

Agreed. Scheer ought to be thankful that Bernier is such an undisciplined politician. That might be his best shot at recovery.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1577 on: August 23, 2018, 03:51:27 PM »

Two questions:

1) Anyone have suggestions for what he should call this new outfit?

2) You backing Bernier RB?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1578 on: August 23, 2018, 03:52:42 PM »

I mean, I'd be surprised if he got over fifteen percent in  his own seat, let alone seriously damage the Tories' chances elsewhere.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1579 on: August 23, 2018, 03:58:55 PM »

Is it brave or foolhardy for a Quebec based politician to have ending supply management as one of his signature issues?

Foolhardy

Bernier probably lost the leadership race due to it. Andrew Scheer won a lot of rural Quebec seats thanks to pissed off dairy farmers that should have been easy wins for Maxime.

probably
?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1580 on: August 23, 2018, 04:24:14 PM »

Two questions:

1) Anyone have suggestions for what he should call this new outfit?
Is a new party allowed to use a word associated with another registered party in its name or could Elections Canada refuse a name that could create confusion ? Could he used the word conservative in a name, like real conservative or conservative libertarian. Or just join the Libertarian party if they already have a structure instead of starting from nothing.   
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1581 on: August 23, 2018, 04:28:29 PM »

I think it's a case by case basis. The Alliance (Canadian Reform Conservative Alliance) coexisted with the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada. But the Communist Party of Canada (Marxist Leninist) was ordered by EC to register as Marxist Leninist Party of Canada due to likelihood of confusion with the Communist Party of Canada. Probably the former, since it's a more relevant precedent.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #1582 on: August 23, 2018, 04:47:48 PM »

Vive Max.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #1583 on: August 23, 2018, 06:30:12 PM »

I mean, I'd be surprised if he got over fifteen percent in his own seat, let alone seriously damage the Tories' chances elsewhere.
The Bernier name carries a lot of weight in Beauce, so his party will probably carry his own seat but no others.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1584 on: August 23, 2018, 06:51:26 PM »

Any clue unto what this party might be named? I don't know why I'm so interested in that rather small detail, but I am.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #1585 on: August 23, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »

The PC party have drifted more and more towards liberalism. Such a split is an inevitability. There are many canadians who are very dissatisfied with the current choices.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1586 on: August 23, 2018, 08:31:27 PM »

Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #1587 on: August 23, 2018, 09:42:26 PM »

The issue that might lead such a party to take off is immigration. On economic issues, there's little appetite for a party to the right of Scheer's Conservatives. Most normal people don't care about supply management. But a large slice of the population is more hostile to immigration and multiculturalism than the leadership of all the political parties. Bernier is speaking for a lot of people who have felt unrepresented on these issues.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1588 on: August 23, 2018, 09:42:26 PM »

I mean, I'd be surprised if he got over fifteen percent in his own seat, let alone seriously damage the Tories' chances elsewhere.
The Bernier name carries a lot of weight in Beauce, so his party will probably carry his own seat but no others.

If the Tories were smart, they would run a dairy farmer as a candidate for Beauce against Bernier.  His riding I believe is in the top 10 for most dairy farms so they could make a difference.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #1589 on: August 23, 2018, 09:51:19 PM »

The issue that might lead such a party to take off is immigration. On economic issues, there's little appetite for a party to the right of Scheer's Conservatives. Most normal people don't care about supply management. But a large slice of the population is more hostile to immigration and multiculturalism than the leadership of all the political parties. Bernier is speaking for a lot of people who have felt unrepresented on these issues.

Most Canadians don't care about supply management because they don't understand what it is. The new Bernier party should (and presumably will) campaign on halving Canadians' grocery bills on staple goods and that will strike a chord.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1590 on: August 23, 2018, 10:25:00 PM »

How does Bernier reconcile his libertarianism with his newfound focus on multiculturalism and immigration?  Anti-immigration politicians usually have some "protectionist" policies and tailor their message to the economically insecure?  But libertarianism is an idelogy of the well-off with little mass appeal.  You won't find much support for it outside the National Post and the Fraser Institute.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1591 on: August 24, 2018, 04:29:41 AM »

How does Bernier reconcile his libertarianism with his newfound focus on multiculturalism and immigration?  Anti-immigration politicians usually have some "protectionist" policies and tailor their message to the economically insecure?  But libertarianism is an idelogy of the well-off with little mass appeal.  You won't find much support for it outside the National Post and the Fraser Institute.

I don't think he's figured that out yet. At the press conference the media kept asking him about immigration and multiculturalism, but he refused to answer and kept trying to steer the conversation back to supply management and corporate welfare.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1592 on: August 24, 2018, 07:54:25 AM »

Most of the Beauce riding association has resigned, so it looks like Bernier will have a decent organization in his own seat at least.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1593 on: August 24, 2018, 08:27:17 AM »

Any clue unto what this party might be named? I don't know why I'm so interested in that rather small detail, but I am.

No idea, but I bet it will be something vague and boring.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1594 on: August 24, 2018, 09:51:19 AM »

Strong words coming from an NDP supporter  Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1595 on: August 24, 2018, 11:17:43 AM »

Cheesy Hey, when did I ever say I liked the name? At least it beats "New Party".
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1596 on: August 24, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »

Cheesy Hey, when did I ever say I liked the name? At least it beats "New Party".

Lol. Maybe we should just go with 'The Party'. It's got a nice Soviet ring to it Tongue

In all sincerity, Bernier would probably try to come up with something idiosyncratic, knowing his enormous ego. I'm thinking something like 'En Marche' by Macron.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1597 on: August 24, 2018, 02:26:05 PM »

to go with libertarian and individual freedom theme and having a name that is similar as much as possible in English and French, I propose the name Liberty / Liberté.
EPG
« Reply #1598 on: August 24, 2018, 04:20:39 PM »

Lol. Maybe we should just go with 'The Party'. It's got a nice Soviet ring to it Tongue

In all sincerity, Bernier would probably try to come up with something idiosyncratic, knowing his enormous ego. I'm thinking something like 'En Marche' by Macron.

Surely "En Marche avec Maxime"
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1599 on: August 24, 2018, 05:19:16 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2018, 07:26:53 PM by RogueBeaver »

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies