Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:34:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 72
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 188627 times)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:28:45 PM »

As soon as the election campaign thread dies out, people can start using this as the venue to discuss the 42nd Parliament, the new government, etc.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »

Demographics of the new parliament:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/women-and-visible-minorities-make-election-gains-154729934.html
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 03:53:54 PM »

Beliebers of all countries, unite!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 04:19:36 PM »

Looks like Trudeau is being hammered out the gate over Keystone.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 04:58:58 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 05:49:20 PM »

Wow. Didn't expect that. I know it came up in the campaign and I know new governments love to do something symbolic on foreign policy, but fighting IS from the air can't be that controversial... even Dutch Labour doesn't mind it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2015, 07:43:43 PM by DC Al Fine »

Minister of Public Works Diane Finely is rumoured to be getting the interim Tory leader job.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 09:15:15 PM »

So what does this mean for CEFTA and the TPP?

I read that the Liberals are in favor of Keystone "with conditions", so is that code for "lol jk it's dead" or was there actually a chance they would support it if Obama had not taken a stand against it? I'm assuming that the Liberals are just going to let it die after all the criticism Harper got for being obsessed with it and annoying Obama.

I was reading the criticism on The Harper Decade blog that Harper had let Canada become too dependent on energy to power the economy. Is this a widely held sentiment, and if so, have the Liberals put forth any plans regarding a reorientation of Canada's economy?

Also, how are the Conservatives (voter base and the party machinery) reacting to this? Are there hysterical breakdowns about the country abandoning them, rage and blame directed at Harper, or shellshock and disbelief that this happened? Are there Conservative voices calling for "moderation" or a change in tone, ala post-Romney's defeat?

How are the New Democrats doing? Are they okay? Manuevering to make something of the Liberal majority and see if they can influence anything?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 10:04:30 PM »

Both deals will stand. Fellow Tories that I'm acquainted with know what we have to do and the leadership process is already underway. On a personal note, I expected to lose even if I hoped we could turn it around in the campaign. All the serious potential leadership contenders have said we need a more optimistic tone and less confrontational media style, and agree that policy fundamentals are fine.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 10:08:18 PM »

I feel quite bad for Tom Mulcair, who seemed like a knowledgeable gent whose party got caught in the Trudeaumentum.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 10:09:17 PM »

So what is Mulcair doing? Will he seriously try to stay on as leader?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 10:15:09 PM »

Party has made clear that Mulcair can stay if he wants. There's a leadership review next spring, but he'd cruise.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 10:18:26 PM »

Party has made clear that Mulcair can stay if he wants. There's a leadership review next spring, but he'd cruise.

Has Mulcair made it clear he wants to stay on?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 10:43:28 PM »

He hasn't said anything yet. Everyone speaking on and off the record is saying he can stay and anyone who pushes will be "quite publicly slapped." Considering who lost, there aren't many surviving contenders. The precedent might be Howard Hampton, who got squashed by flash polarization in 1999 and 2003 but stayed as leader until 2009.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 11:33:26 PM »

What a stupid thing. We can help make a difference in this conflict (and it's one we have a big stake in) with minuscule negative consequences for our nation. Sigh.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 12:00:23 AM »

He hasn't said anything yet. Everyone speaking on and off the record is saying he can stay and anyone who pushes will be "quite publicly slapped." Considering who lost, there aren't many surviving contenders. The precedent might be Howard Hampton, who got squashed by flash polarization in 1999 and 2003 but stayed as leader until 2009.

Well, Hampton had to deal with Bob Rae's catastrophic legacy, so probably nobody expected him to do better. Mulcair was dealt the best hand imaginable and completely blew it.

Anyway, I guess you're right that there's nobody left to replace him...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 03:09:07 AM »

Mulcair was dealt the best hand imaginable and completely blew it.

What was he supposed to do when everyone started talking about niqabs?
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 03:48:57 AM »

Happy he stuck to his word....good move.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 04:25:20 AM »

There is no other real candidate to lead the NDP other than Mulcair and throwing him away could result in their Quebec damage being irreparable. Mulcair ran a bad campaign but he is still the only person who has the capacity to unite their Quebec and non Quebec voters, and people still know and like him. Take the time to rebuild their bases of support and refine a center-leftist image in opposition. Infighting is the opposite of what that party needs right now.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 04:54:01 AM »

What are we to make of the Bloc? They don't have official party status, nor has Duceppe been elected; but will this mini-revival stave off their demise?

I think the NDP is in not that bad a shape in retrospect. Their caucus is a lot more balanced - before it seemed to be Quebec + a handful of other guys, now it seems less vulnerable to the strange and fickle nature of the Québécois electorate. They lost a lot of talented people, but they stil exist - and I imagine a lot of the carer ones could enter their provincial NDP politics and really stir the pot. Plus Trudeau's cabinet is going to be full of people like Blair and Leslie who will probably lose the "progressive" label pretty quickly.

The hard part for the NDP is either getting a decent and reliable hold on Toronto seats or looking away from the capital. He GTA is just a frustrating region for the party.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 10:12:24 AM »

I think the NDP is in not that bad a shape in retrospect. Their caucus is a lot more balanced - before it seemed to be Quebec + a handful of other guys

Correct; people who are acting as though they are in a terrible state have clearly not been following Canadian politics for very long (or have forgotten what they used to know). I would also note that there's now more 'logic' to NDP support patterns in Quebec that indicates that they may have attracted a proper base rather than what looked like borrowings from elsewhere.

What's new? Toronto has always been a frustration for the federal NDP. Significant breakthroughs in the past have never lasted either.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 01:02:09 PM »

I think the NDP is in not that bad a shape in retrospect. Their caucus is a lot more balanced - before it seemed to be Quebec + a handful of other guys

Correct; people who are acting as though they are in a terrible state have clearly not been following Canadian politics for very long (or have forgotten what they used to know). I would also note that there's now more 'logic' to NDP support patterns in Quebec that indicates that they may have attracted a proper base rather than what looked like borrowings from elsewhere.

What's new? Toronto has always been a frustration for the federal NDP. Significant breakthroughs in the past have never lasted either.

I actually haven't been following Canadian politics for very long, so why is this?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2015, 01:04:39 PM »

Anne McGrath, the NDP's campaign manager, said she expects Mulcair to lead them into another election.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »

What a stupid thing. We can help make a difference in this conflict (and it's one we have a big stake in) with minuscule negative consequences for our nation. Sigh.

Canadian soldiers are still helping train Kurdish forces in northern Iraq, which is probably a more practical use of Canadian resources than bombing ISIS, which over a dozen other countries are doing.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »

An interesting question for policy wonks:

Premier Wynne introduced a pension plan in Ontario after Harper refused to expand CPP. Trudeau now has a majority and wants to expand CPP, but that would take a lot of time and negotiations with the provinces. Will/should she continue implementing the new pension plan only to possibly cancel it after a very short period of time, or should she hold off and try to help Trudeau fast track a new solution
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies