Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:20:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 72
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 190320 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: June 28, 2017, 11:12:52 PM »

The Alberta Party, if it wants to be seriously effective, needs to ally with the Liberals and the Redford wing of the Progressive Conservatives.
You mean the hilariously corrupt one?
I believe I was rather clearly referring to her ideology.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #951 on: June 30, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »

Hadfield could be the next GG.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #952 on: June 30, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »

Steven Fletcher expelled from Manitoba P.C caucus
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/steven-fletcher-expelled-from-caucus-1.4185892
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #953 on: June 30, 2017, 11:03:48 PM »

Happy Dominion Day. Smiley
warandwar
United States

« Reply #954 on: July 01, 2017, 02:43:11 AM »

The Alberta Party, if it wants to be seriously effective, needs to ally with the Liberals and the Redford wing of the Progressive Conservatives.
Isn't her ideology corruption, though?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #955 on: July 01, 2017, 02:48:55 AM »

Well, she had a faction backing her. The centrist one.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #956 on: July 01, 2017, 03:13:29 AM »

In general it is disingenuous to claim her ideology was 'corruption', because corruption knows no one political ideology.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #957 on: July 01, 2017, 03:51:30 AM »

In general it is disingenuous to claim her ideology was 'corruption', because corruption knows no one political ideology.

She was no more or less corrupt than Ralph Klein.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #958 on: July 02, 2017, 03:07:55 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2017, 03:11:13 PM by 🍁 Hatman »

Not French. GGs alternate between Anglos and Francos, and I suspect there is also a male, male, female, female tradition emerging as well (has been that way since Jeanne Sauve). So, the next GG will likely be a Francophone man. You up for it, RB?

(ETA: The article mentions the French / English tradition, but fails to mention why Trudeau would abandon it, saying only "The belief however is the new governor-general need not be francophone this time". Umm, ok, why?? )
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #959 on: July 02, 2017, 05:14:10 PM »

Not French. GGs alternate between Anglos and Francos, and I suspect there is also a male, male, female, female tradition emerging as well (has been that way since Jeanne Sauve). So, the next GG will likely be a Francophone man. You up for it, RB?

(ETA: The article mentions the French / English tradition, but fails to mention why Trudeau would abandon it, saying only "The belief however is the new governor-general need not be francophone this time". Umm, ok, why?? )

I think it's implied Hadfield would be too big to pass on and than it's gravita will allow him to pass it easily (even francophones people like him). He can also says he cannot wait 15 years to appoint him (next male anglophone), as he would be old.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #960 on: July 03, 2017, 01:13:50 AM »

I think it's implied Hadfield would be too big to pass on and than it's gravita will allow him to pass it easily (even francophones people like him). He can also says he cannot wait 15 years to appoint him (next male anglophone), as he would be old.

Hmmm. He would be an awesome choice of course. Perhaps too awesome.  Would Trudeau want to pick someone who would steal his stardom? Cheesy (I guess he's thinking the choice would just enhance his own popularity).
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #961 on: July 03, 2017, 05:16:12 AM »

They should go with an Indigenous candidate as planned - there is at least three good choices.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #962 on: July 04, 2017, 08:00:55 AM »

Khadr's getting an apology & $10M compensation.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #963 on: July 06, 2017, 04:08:01 AM »

Peterson eyeing Ambrose's seat.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #964 on: July 07, 2017, 04:01:59 PM »

Albertan conservatives eyeing Plan B if Wildrose sinks merger.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #965 on: July 08, 2017, 10:34:44 AM »

The NDP-Québec will choose a permanent leader January 21 2018 to replace interim leader Pierre Ducasse.

Race starts September 1st. Nomination period ends October 20.

It plans to set up regional associations in Quebec City, Chaudière-Appalaches, Montérégie and Outaouais.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/ndp-quebec-to-elect-new-leader-in-january
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #966 on: July 08, 2017, 03:20:16 PM »

Regarding the proposed Alberta conservative merger: Some Wildrosers are preparing to create a new party if the deal goes through, and Starke seems (IMO) to be hinting at going independent and not joining the UCP if the deal is approved
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #967 on: July 09, 2017, 05:58:11 AM »

A couple questions for Njall or anyone else who cares to comment:

1) The 2004 federal election shows us that predicting results won't be as simple as 2015 PC vote + 2015 Wildrose vote. The Tories lost 15-20 seats they "should" have won based on the 2000 results. Assuming all breakaway third parties, indy runs are flops, how much of the combined conservative vote do you think the NDP/Liberals/Alberta Party will be able to pick off? What does that mean in seats?

2) Are Wildrose hardliners mostly libertarians, socons or populists? What are the odds that they are able to get a meaningful % of the vote?
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #968 on: July 09, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »

A couple questions for Njall or anyone else who cares to comment:

1) The 2004 federal election shows us that predicting results won't be as simple as 2015 PC vote + 2015 Wildrose vote. The Tories lost 15-20 seats they "should" have won based on the 2000 results. Assuming all breakaway third parties, indy runs are flops, how much of the combined conservative vote do you think the NDP/Liberals/Alberta Party will be able to pick off? What does that mean in seats?

2) Are Wildrose hardliners mostly libertarians, socons or populists? What are the odds that they are able to get a meaningful % of the vote?

1) This question is very difficult to answer for a number of reasons, including not knowing what the price of oil (and therefore the budget and employment situations) will be in 2019, and not knowing who the leader of the UCP will be. That said, I'll take a stab at it. The 2012 and 2015 elections showed that Albertans saw substantive differences between the PCs and WRP, so it's essentially assured that some of their bases will drop off. The Liberals are essentially dead-in-the-water now, so if that stays the same in 2019, I doubt many voters will gravitate there. I also have a hard time seeing the NDP getting a net gain in votes given how poorly they've been polling, and how the ongoing rhetoric from opposition parties and in the media seems to be almost solely blaming the NDP for the province's current economic and financial situation. So that would leave the Alberta Party as the logical recipient of former conservative voters who don't want to support the UCP, especially since the ABP has taken a more clearly fiscally conservative tack since the last election.

In terms of seats, I imagine that gravitation towards the ABP from former conservative voters would probably have more of an effect of preserving some marginal NDP seats than gaining seats for the ABP. Now, we don't know what the map will look like yet, but take the current riding of Calgary-Currie, in inner(-ish) city Calgary, for example: the NDP won there with just under 40% of the vote, and the combined PC+WRP vote was nearly 45%. Given the close margin and the demographics of the riding, I could definitely see a conservative move to the ABP helping the NDP win here again.

I don't know how many voters province wide would move from conservative to ABP, mind you. But I remember seeing an interesting poll from last year that asked about political spectrum identification, amongst other things. In that poll, without excluding those who were unsure (roughly a quarter of respondents), 27% of PC and 11% of WRP voters self-identified as centrists, while a further 9% of PC and 1% of WRP voters self-identified as centre-left. Assuming for a moment that those poll results were accurate, even without considering centre-right voters uncomfortable with a UCP, they suggest that around a third of PC voter and a tenth of WRP voters would be open to migrating to more of a centrist party.

2) From what I can tell, the WRP hardline would likely lean more towards socons and populists. Historically, when right-wing splinter parties in Alberta have gained some steam they've ended up polling between 5% and 12% provincially. This would likely have a spoiler effect for the UCP more than actual success for the hypothetical party. In 2004, for example, the upstart Alberta Alliance got 8.7% of the vote province-wide. They only won 1 seat, but there's a case to be made that they enabled PC losses in up to 7 other seats.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #969 on: July 09, 2017, 07:30:46 PM »

Very interesting thanks.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #970 on: July 09, 2017, 11:03:07 PM »

Even with a united conservative party, the right wing in Alberta will inevitably splinter. Even if it takes another 30 years.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #971 on: July 12, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »

CP says new GG announcement tomorrow probably a Francophone.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #972 on: July 12, 2017, 05:02:58 PM »

It's Julie Payette. So, at least they got the profession correct.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #973 on: July 13, 2017, 12:28:33 AM »

Sorry, maybe I'm uninformed lol, but who's the "they" you're referring to??
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #974 on: July 13, 2017, 09:12:35 AM »

Sorry, maybe I'm uninformed lol, but who's the "they" you're referring to??

John Ivison specifically. RB posted an article on the last page by him claiming Chris Hadfield was going to be the next GG.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies