Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:24:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 72
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 189877 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: October 19, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »

Also, Neil MacDonald said in his column on the bill he doesn't trust Singh (Scheer too) to keep his religion out of politics.

*Sigh*

Are there any Sikh views that most secular folk would find objectionable a la Evangelical opposition to abortion, or is this more Liberal/Bloc concern trolling?
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1101 on: October 19, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »

Actually CAQ and PQ voted against it, but only because they felt it didn't go far enough.  They want to introduce legislation that will go even further.  Interestingly enough next door in Ontario, the legislature unanimously condemned it.  I am guessing Wynne did this to try and trip up Patrick Brown which she has tried and many issues and everytime she tries he refuses to take the bait.  In fact Lisa MacLeod of the PCs asked if Ontario would ask for intervener status in a court case if a charter challenge is launched against this.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1102 on: October 20, 2017, 03:07:31 PM »

Out of curiosity, why was the poll at the above of the page added, and who did it? I created this thread but had no part in creating a poll. Just curious.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1103 on: October 20, 2017, 05:25:33 PM »

Out of curiosity, why was the poll at the above of the page added, and who did it? I created this thread but had no part in creating a poll. Just curious.

I added this, but meant the Alberta UCP leadership discussion so accidentally got put on the wrong page.  Do you know how to move this to the correct one?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1104 on: October 20, 2017, 08:58:18 PM »

I added this, but meant the Alberta UCP leadership discussion so accidentally got put on the wrong page.  Do you know how to move this to the correct one?

How though? I wasn't aware that non-moderators could edit a topic to include a poll. I'll see if a Mod can delete it, as this thread will probably be around until the next election and it's weird to have that poll on it.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1105 on: October 20, 2017, 11:06:05 PM »

How though? I wasn't aware that non-moderators could edit a topic to include a poll. I'll see if a Mod can delete it, as this thread will probably be around until the next election and it's weird to have that poll on it.

I can delete it, but we prefer to keep it up, just on a different thread so is there a way to move it.  I accidentally posted it in the wrong thread, otherwise a fair poll just not the right thread so hoping it can be moved over to the other one.  If that doesn't work I will then delete this one and redo a new one on the correct thread, but would rather not lose the votes so far.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1106 on: October 21, 2017, 09:02:55 AM »

Morneau is walking back some of the proposed tax changes and is cutting the small business tax rate.

I'm not a fan of the small business tax cut or the original changes, but geez Dippers, this must be killing you watching "progressive" party cutting corporate taxes.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1107 on: October 21, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »

Morneau is walking back some of the proposed tax changes and is cutting the small business tax rate.

I'm not a fan of the small business tax cut or the original changes, but geez Dippers, this must be killing you watching "progressive" party cutting corporate taxes.

Actually I think the dippers support small business tax cuts, but want to raise it on large corporations.  Nonetheless the Toronto Star has criticized this arguing like UK we should have a single rate as having different rates just acts as discouragement to grow larger as most large corporations originally started out as small businesses.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1108 on: October 21, 2017, 02:50:31 PM »

The current NDP policy on small businesses is built around 2 elements:
1. Lowering small businesses tax rate to 9%
2. Lowering the transaction fees businesses have to pay to when a customer uses debit/credit.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1109 on: October 21, 2017, 04:47:09 PM »

Really? Never would have guessed that. My mistake.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1110 on: October 22, 2017, 10:10:02 AM »

Why? The NDP is all about helping the "little guy", and that includes small businesses.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1111 on: October 23, 2017, 06:11:43 PM »

Proposed cabinet changes
1.Drop Bill Morneau (you're fired biggest loser, get off the island)
2.Move Jim Carr from Natural Resources to Finance (steady performer with a business background)
3.Move Navdeep Bains from Industry (old name) to Natural Resources
4.Move Marc Garneau from Transport to Industry
5.Promote Kevin Lamoureux to Transport
6.Promote Celina Caesar-Chavannes to Small Business and Tourism (Currently held by Bardish Chagger who is also the Government House Leader)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1112 on: October 23, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »

Proposed cabinet changes
2.Move Jim Carr from Natural Resources to Finance (steady performer with a business background)
6.Promote Celina Caesar-Chavannes to Small Business and Tourism (Currently held by Bardish Chagger who is also the Government House Leader)

Since finance requires experience, I would promote Ralph Goodale or Scott Brison to it as both are veterans in the house of commons and have strong finance backgrounds.  Obviously keep Chrystia Freeland in foreign affairs as that will be a difficult profile with NAFTA talks and so as one of the stronger performers you want to keep him there.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1113 on: October 23, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »

Proposed cabinet changes

Since finance requires experience, I would promote Ralph Goodale or Scott Brison to it as both are veterans in the house of commons and have strong finance backgrounds.  Obviously keep Chrystia Freeland in foreign affairs as that will be a difficult profile with NAFTA talks and so as one of the stronger performers you want to keep him there.

1.Carr has been an M.P for two years now.

2.From 1992 to 1997, Carr was on the editorial board of the Winnipeg Free Press. In 1998, he became president and CEO of the Business Council of Manitoba,[4] an organization which he co-founded.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1114 on: October 23, 2017, 07:08:46 PM »

Proposed cabinet changes

Brison is a deficit hawk, won't work and Goodale was terribly incompentent as finance minister under Martin.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1115 on: October 23, 2017, 08:10:00 PM »

Proposed cabinet changes

Brison is a deficit hawk, won't work and Goodale was terribly incompentent as finance minister under Martin.

Considering how strongly the economy is growing I don't think a deficit hawk would be too big a problem and a balanced budget before 2019 would be a pleasant surprise and make it more difficult for the Tories to pull over the Blue Liberals they need to win.  Now if the economy tanks that is a different story, but I suspect even Brison would be fine with a deficit if we go into recession.  The idea of a large deficit may have had some logic when our economy was struggling to reach 1% growth but makes little sense at 3% growth.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1116 on: October 24, 2017, 12:06:39 AM »

Proposed cabinet changes

Considering how strongly the economy is growing I don't think a deficit hawk would be too big a problem and a balanced budget before 2019 would be a pleasant surprise and make it more difficult for the Tories to pull over the Blue Liberals they need to win.  Now if the economy tanks that is a different story, but I suspect even Brison would be fine with a deficit if we go into recession.  The idea of a large deficit may have had some logic when our economy was struggling to reach 1% growth but makes little sense at 3% growth.

People like balanced budgets in abstract, but I don't think a governing party ever lost an election for having a deficit. 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1117 on: October 24, 2017, 12:47:01 AM »

Proposed cabinet changes

My point is than Trudeau wants huge spending and a deficit now and I don't think Brison is interested in defending as Finance minister. Trudeau won't chnage his mind to please Brison, either.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1118 on: October 24, 2017, 05:55:55 AM »

Why? The NDP is all about helping the "little guy", and that includes small businesses.

The small business limit is $500k. I figured that would be too high to qualify as "little guy" for the NDP.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1119 on: October 24, 2017, 07:44:53 AM »

Proposed cabinet changes

My point is than Trudeau wants huge spending and a deficit now and I don't think Brison is interested in defending as Finance minister. Trudeau won't chnage his mind to please Brison, either.

Maybe not, but Brison would be a powerful ally if Trudeau wants to be assured of his support in the event of a leadership challenge.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1120 on: October 25, 2017, 05:36:57 PM »

The PLQ MLA for Chomedey, Guy Ouellette has been arrested by the anti-corruption unit.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1121 on: October 27, 2017, 05:40:42 AM »
« Edited: October 27, 2017, 06:07:59 AM by DC Al Fine »

Ontario tramples on one our most fundamental liberties by forbidding protests within 50 meters of an abortion clinic.

The measure has been justified by claims that protests intimidate patients using the clinic and employees trying to go to work. I am eagerly waiting for the same logic to be applied to union pickets Roll Eyes
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1122 on: October 27, 2017, 01:05:21 PM »

Ontario tramples on one our most fundamental liberties by forbidding protests within 50 meters of an abortion clinic.

The measure has been justified by claims that protests intimidate patients using the clinic and employees trying to go to work. I am eagerly waiting for the same logic to be applied to union pickets Roll Eyes

Well, it passed with only 1 vote against.
And you know very well than those "protests" are just screaming insults to patients and employees.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1123 on: October 27, 2017, 01:47:20 PM »

And you know very well than those "protests" are just screaming insults to patients and employees.

Agree with the law, but think politics played a role too.  Wynne is not doing so well in the polls so she is trying everything possible to trip up the PCs.  Since many in the caucus are pro-life and even Brown once was, she was hoping at least some PCs would break ranks and vote against this which didn't happen, only Jack MacLaren who is now in the Trilium Party voted against.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1124 on: October 27, 2017, 03:37:13 PM »

Speaking as a protester you're full of it Max.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies