Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:02:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 188624 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1725 on: December 09, 2018, 02:42:21 PM »

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1726 on: December 10, 2018, 08:58:58 AM »

Svend Robinson planning a comeback in his old riding.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1727 on: December 20, 2018, 07:58:15 PM »

FPTP wins with 61% in BC.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1728 on: December 21, 2018, 05:34:57 AM »

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1729 on: December 21, 2018, 02:12:51 PM »

The absolute worst thing is my BC Liberal acquaintances pretending to be progressive. They celebrate the defeat of proportional representation but two years ago lamented the way Trudeau abandoned it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1730 on: December 21, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »

The absolute worst thing is my BC Liberal acquaintances pretending to be progressive. They celebrate the defeat of proportional representation but two years ago lamented the way Trudeau abandoned it.

That was a weird case. I was annoyed at Trudeau abandoning democratic reform but at the same time, I would take FPTP over Trudeau's proposed IRV system and I'm a huge fan of proportional representation.

IRV is irritating since how much a party is disliked can have a substanstial effect on its result, regardless of it's vote share. FPTP has this, but the effect is much more muted.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1731 on: December 21, 2018, 04:46:12 PM »

BC Liberals aren't progressive, according to any definition.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #1732 on: December 25, 2018, 03:58:34 PM »

In New Brunswick, Deputy premier Robert Gauvin is pondering his ffuture with the PC party.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/gauvin-questions-future-pcs-1.4956691
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1733 on: January 03, 2019, 08:28:27 AM »

That was a weird case. I was annoyed at Trudeau abandoning democratic reform but at the same time, I would take FPTP over Trudeau's proposed IRV system and I'm a huge fan of proportional representation.

IRV is irritating since how much a party is disliked can have a substanstial effect on its result, regardless of it's vote share. FPTP has this, but the effect is much more muted.

Yeah, imo IRV is the worst election system possible. It also for the most part makes sure that two parties dominate a system and can't be punished the way they should be. The acceptable systems in my eyes are either FPTP, jungle primary+runoff or proportional representation. But I'd always vote against IRV.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1734 on: January 07, 2019, 11:58:36 AM »

Kim Campbell agrees with Rashida Tlaib

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1735 on: January 10, 2019, 10:06:38 AM »

Brison resigning from Cabinet and will retire from politics in October to spend more time with his family.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1736 on: January 10, 2019, 11:39:00 AM »

Kings-Hants might be a dark horse candidate for most surprising Tory pickup this fall.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1737 on: January 11, 2019, 09:56:19 AM »

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1738 on: January 11, 2019, 02:26:38 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/11/canada-pipeline-indigenous-trudeau-treaty
You must be logged in to read this quote.
So what has been the reaction to this by the parties? Will this impact elections in B.C. Or nationally in 2019?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1739 on: January 11, 2019, 03:45:47 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/11/canada-pipeline-indigenous-trudeau-treaty
You must be logged in to read this quote.
So what has been the reaction to this by the parties? Will this impact elections in B.C. Or nationally in 2019?

With the exception of the Greens, all of the parties are a party to this (sorry.)  I suppose even the Greens in B.C could be seen as supporting this if they don't pull out of their agreement with the NDP.

Speaking for myself, I don't care about these 'hereditary chiefs.'  There is a reason that the 'divine right of kings' was done away with, and this situation is no different.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1740 on: January 14, 2019, 03:36:07 PM »

Cabinet shuffle, probably the last one before the election: David Lametti joins cabinet as Justice Minister. Wilson-Raybould to Veterans Affairs. Seamus O'Regan to Indigenous Services, Jane Philpott to Treasury replacing Scott Brison.

The government also made a new Minstry of Economic Development for Bernadette Jordan, who will be the NS cabinet minister now that Brison is gone.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1741 on: January 26, 2019, 02:57:33 PM »

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1742 on: January 27, 2019, 07:13:40 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1743 on: January 29, 2019, 02:51:03 AM »

Harper goes on Prager U : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFWE2jl5mwA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2vlhsyxA3UGJJrG15E4f88L8CscC3QVIkDwywoM7Yz35uVQUchPPZFz0s
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1744 on: January 29, 2019, 02:57:48 AM »

With most videos from Prager 'U', you end up knowing less facts than before you saw the video.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1745 on: January 29, 2019, 02:59:26 AM »

Harper though almost always make a reasonable and intelligent point
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1746 on: January 29, 2019, 03:27:12 AM »

I'm familiar with Harper's arguments because he wrote a book on it that had some discussion in the media. Even with some conservative leaning Canadian columnists (Andrew Coyne and Tristan Hopper at the National Post) the concept of the 'anywheres' was ridiculed.

Andrew Coyne: Stephen Harper comes across as banal in effort to claim mantle of populism
Harper’s book is largely an attempt to portray his own government, not as the cynical power-seeking machine it appeared to be, but as populist before its time.

I disagree in that Harper did market his government at the time as 'populist' but without using that word: a 'Tim Horton's conservative' and his signature tax cut was the reduction of the GST from 7% to 5% 

Canada has also benefited from our large resource economy: young people, not necessarily straight out of high school, but after maybe a 6 month certificate program can get a relatively well paying job in the oil patch or in mining.  For most other jobs, it's now almost impossible to get a high paying job roughly straight out of high school.

However, this does bring up the point.  The irony of Trump and the Congressional Republicans benefiting from the 'somewheres' revolt against the 'elites' is that it was Republican policies that led to the real elites (the 1% approximately) gaining a larger and larger share of national income.

I support free trade and oppose tariffs, but there was always a concern with a fallacy of composition/commons problem: each individual wealthy business owner benefited from taking nearly all of the gains from trade for themselves, but all together, they've poisoned the well a great deal for support of free trade.

Republican policies that enabled this include:
1.anti union policies like the so-called 'right to work.'
2.tax cuts that mostly benefit the wealthy
3.rising tuition rates
4.Inadequate social programs in order to ensure that corporations have a pool of unemployed to keep wages depressed
5.Opposition to campaign finance reform
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1747 on: January 29, 2019, 03:33:49 AM »

I'm familiar with Harper's arguments because he wrote a book on it that had some discussion in the media. Even with some conservative leaning Canadian columnists (Andrew Coyne and Tristan Hopper at the National Post) the concept of the 'anywheres' was ridiculed.

Andrew Coyne: Stephen Harper comes across as banal in effort to claim mantle of populism
Harper’s book is largely an attempt to portray his own government, not as the cynical power-seeking machine it appeared to be, but as populist before its time.

I disagree in that Harper did market his government at the time as 'populist' but without using that word: a 'Tim Horton's conservative' and his signature tax cut was the reduction of the GST from 7% to 5% 

Canada has also benefited from our large resource economy: young people, not necessarily straight out of high school, but after maybe a 6 month certificate program can get a relatively well paying job in the oil patch or in mining.  For most other jobs, it's now almost impossible to get a high paying job roughly straight out of high school.

However, this does bring up the point.  The irony of Trump and the Congressional Republicans benefiting from the 'somewheres' revolt against the 'elites' is that it was Republican policies that led to the real elites (the 1% approximately) gaining a larger and larger share of national income.

I support free trade and oppose tariffs, but there was always a concern with a fallacy of composition/commons problem: each individual wealthy business owner benefited from taking nearly all of the gains from trade for themselves, but all together, they've poisoned the well a great deal for support of free trade.

3.rising tuition rates
4.Inadequate social programs in order to ensure that corporations have a pool of unemployed to keep wages depressed

Harper did negotiate most of Canada's Free Trade Deals , and handled the 08 Recession better than America or Europe Did .
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1748 on: January 29, 2019, 03:40:54 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2019, 03:44:24 AM by 136or142 »

Canada has also benefited from our large resource economy: young people, not necessarily straight out of high school, but after maybe a 6 month certificate program can get a relatively well paying job in the oil patch or in mining.  For most other jobs, it's now almost impossible to get a high paying job roughly straight out of high school.

However, this does bring up the point.  The irony of Trump and the Congressional Republicans benefiting from the 'somewheres' revolt against the 'elites' is that it was Republican policies that led to the real elites (the 1% approximately) gaining a larger and larger share of national income.

3.rising tuition rates

Harper did negotiate most of Canada's Free Trade Deals , and handled the 08 Recession better than America or Europe Did .

Canada had a better regulated banking system that wasn't all that involved with the buying of the bundled mortgages.  Canada also has more conservative (as opposed to Conservative) bankers due to not having the capital to invest in the expensive high risk/high reward projects.  That's what the mergers were all about.  Had the mergers gone ahead, the banking culture almost certainly would have changed.

Thanks Finance Minister Paul Martin!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/top-business-stories/ban-on-bank-mergers-helped-canada-withstand-crash-imf-says/article4600686/

Stephen Harper supported the chartered bank mergers and other financial deregulation.  Had he been Prime Minister in the late 1990s, Canada almost certainly would have been as bad off as the United States and Europe.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1749 on: February 02, 2019, 04:32:07 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies