Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:28:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 189813 times)
warandwar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1750 on: February 02, 2019, 11:15:31 PM »

Speaking for myself, I don't care about these 'hereditary chiefs.'  There is a reason that the 'divine right of kings' was done away with, and this situation is no different.

I don't care about these "representatives" of a "community" who say it's their "native" "land." My government committed a lot of genocides  to get it - that means we can do whatever we want to it!

Really, this situation is no different? The bourgeois democratic revolutions of the 1700s-1800s are "no different" than settlers pillaging their way through unceded Wet'suwet'en land in 2019?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1751 on: February 02, 2019, 11:32:12 PM »

Speaking for myself, I don't care about these 'hereditary chiefs.'  There is a reason that the 'divine right of kings' was done away with, and this situation is no different.

I don't care about these "representatives" of a "community" who say it's their "native" "land." My government committed a lot of genocides  to get it - that means we can do whatever we want to it!

Really, this situation is no different? The bourgeois democratic revolutions of the 1700s-1800s are "no different" than settlers pillaging their way through unceded Wet'suwet'en land in 2019?

"Bourgeois democracy" yawn.  Sure thing, Stalin.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1752 on: February 02, 2019, 11:48:02 PM »

"Bourgeois democracy" yawn.  Sure thing, Stalin.

Huh?? Read a history book - it's what they were - the third estate led the revolutions (French, American, &c) that ended divine-right monarchies.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1753 on: February 02, 2019, 11:55:39 PM »

Speaking for myself, I don't care about these 'hereditary chiefs.'  There is a reason that the 'divine right of kings' was done away with, and this situation is no different.

I don't care about these "representatives" of a "community" who say it's their "native" "land." My government committed a lot of genocides  to get it - that means we can do whatever we want to it!

"Bourgeois democracy" yawn.  Sure thing, Stalin.

Huh?? Read a history book - it's what they were - the third estate led the revolutions (French, American, &c) that ended divine-right monarchies.

Sure, and then the franchise was steadily expanded and so were respect for human rights.  What gives these hereditary chiefs any authority and how are these unelected leaders any different than kings or even dictators?

The elected chiefs have all come to agreements with the company.  It's easy for these hereditary chiefs to oppose everything since they don't have to stand for election or accomplish anything.

Do you support divine right monarchies?  Do you think indigenous people support divine right monarchies or that they are any less likely to want a say in how their communities are run?
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1754 on: February 03, 2019, 02:05:28 AM »

Speaking for myself, I don't care about these 'hereditary chiefs.'  There is a reason that the 'divine right of kings' was done away with, and this situation is no different.

I don't care about these "representatives" of a "community" who say it's their "native" "land." My government committed a lot of genocides  to get it - that means we can do whatever we want to it!

Sure, and then the franchise was steadily expanded and so were respect for human rights.  What gives these hereditary chiefs any authority and how are these unelected leaders any different than kings or even dictators?

The elected chiefs have all come to agreements with the company.  It's easy for these hereditary chiefs to oppose everything since they don't have to stand for election or accomplish anything.

Do you support divine right monarchies?  Do you think indigenous people support divine right monarchies or that they are any less likely to want a say in how their communities are run?

Not sure expansion of the franchise went alongside respect for human rights in a linear fashion! Many bumps in that road, I say that as a Jew...

Do you think the Wet'suwet'en are suffering under the yoke of dictators? Were the RCMP acting as liberators? C'mon bruh... saying traditional chiefs are dictators, when they're the ones who've got the barrels pointed at them...

Anyways, Most of your questions can be answered by this video.

Anyways
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1755 on: February 03, 2019, 02:09:59 AM »

Not sure expansion of the franchise went alongside respect for human rights in a linear fashion! Many bumps in that road, I say that as a Jew...

Do you think the Wet'suwet'en are suffering under the yoke of dictators? Were the RCMP acting as liberators? C'mon bruh... saying traditional chiefs are dictators, when they're the ones who've got the barrels pointed at them...

Anyways, Most of your questions can be answered by this video and these articles

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1756 on: February 03, 2019, 10:31:36 AM »

Anyways, Most of your questions can be answered by this video.

Anyways

1.I don't know if the hereditary chiefs are considered to be dictators by the people they claim to represent or not since they don't have to face elections.

2.I don't know what the Supreme Court would say about hereditary chiefs these days. Since 1997 there has been a great deal of effort at reconciliation between indigenous peoples and British Columbia and the principle of representative elected band councils and chiefs seems to be generally accepted.  The indigenous people themselves also seem to clearly want elected representatives and not chiefs who claim some divine right.

warandwar
United States

« Reply #1757 on: February 03, 2019, 12:07:33 PM »

I really don't know why you keep calling hereditary chiefs "divine right" dude - it's just not what they are...I was an anthropology major - give me some credit here! (it's true that they're not elected in the "every four years, vote in a designated place" sense, but they're chosen through consensus at potlachs and can be recalled...)

hereditary chiefs have authority over unceded traditional land, court precedent (and UNDRIP!) points to consulting w/ hereditary chiefs as well as band councils, and Trudeau's government has stated they want to move to consulting w/ First Nations on a "nation-to-nation" basis - aside from all of this - a militarized response was clearly inappropriate and brings back bad memories of Lake Gustafson and Oka...

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1758 on: February 03, 2019, 12:41:31 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2019, 12:49:36 PM by 136or142 »

I really don't know why you keep calling hereditary chiefs "divine right" dude - it's just not what they are...I was an anthropology major - give me some credit here! (it's true that they're not elected in the "every four years, vote in a designated place" sense, but they're chosen through consensus at potlachs and can be recalled...)

hereditary chiefs have authority over unceded traditional land, court precedent (and UNDRIP!) points to consulting w/ hereditary chiefs as well as band councils, and Trudeau's government has stated they want to move to consulting w/ First Nations on a "nation-to-nation" basis - aside from all of this - a militarized response was clearly inappropriate and brings back bad memories of Lake Gustafson and Oka...

1.Hereditary chiefdom is passed down as an heir: just like a king.

http://fngovernance.org/resources_docs/TraditionalGovernance_Wetsuweten2.pdf

2."Militarized response" i.e maintaining the rule of law. This is a situation of hereditary chiefs claiming to speak on behalf of an area of land who are responsible to nobody and who have therefore have no incentive to negotiate or otherwise act responsibly.  

It has certainly been shown to not be the case that these hereditary chiefs speak on behalf of even the majority of the people on the land.  One thing mentioned in that link is the 'father clan' vs the 'mother clan' and how the 'father clan' is favored.  There was a Supreme Court decision just a few years ago striking down the preferential treatment given to children of the male member of indigenous tribes when an indigenous person marries a non native.

https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1467227680166/1467227697623

With obviously recognizing the gross mistreatment indigenous people have received, that does not negate that indigenous people are not above nepotism, sexism or obstructionism among other negative things and that these things are more likely to occur when you have hereditary chiefs who, in fact, are no different than divine right kings.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1759 on: February 06, 2019, 09:09:57 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2019, 09:27:10 PM by Smid »

I just read of Paul Dewar's passing, another life taken too soon by cancer. May he rest in peace. Thinking of his family at this terribly tough time for them.

Edit: If I recall correctly, EarlAW used to be active on his riding committee, and perhaps would care to share a memory or two with us.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1760 on: February 07, 2019, 07:24:48 PM »

Trudeau under fire over claim he pressured justice minister to intervene in SNC-Lavalin fraud case
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1761 on: February 12, 2019, 11:30:12 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2019, 11:38:24 AM by RogueBeaver »

Yuge: JWR resigns from Cabinet due to SNC. Don Martin reported an emergency Cabinet meeting happening this afternoon.

DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #1762 on: February 12, 2019, 03:09:16 PM »

Mad Max....... Why would you say this?? Not the right kind of attention the PPC needs.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1763 on: February 12, 2019, 06:22:31 PM »

Mad Max....... Why would you say this?? Not the right kind of attention the PPC needs.

High energy guy!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #1764 on: February 13, 2019, 06:39:28 AM »

He was pretty vehement in his denial so either it's true or he thinks they covered up enough of their tracks. If someone has a smoking gun, he's probably finished.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1765 on: February 13, 2019, 05:23:08 PM »

He has no chance of winning, he wants to appeal to 5-10% of the population who are racists so he is going after that group.  I don't think his goal is to ever be PM, rather he is bitter he lost the Conservative leadership race and so wants to ensure Scheer never becomes PM thus laying a trap for him; stay moderate and risk a split on the right like the 90s, or move rightward to appeal to PPC supporters and scare away the key swing voters he needs to win.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1766 on: February 14, 2019, 12:26:10 PM »

He was pretty vehement in his denial so either it's true or he thinks they covered up enough of their tracks. If someone has a smoking gun, he's probably finished.

Yes, that is the $1,000,000 question.

Also, the scandal broke a week ago, and we still don't have any polls. Very irritating.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1767 on: February 17, 2019, 01:11:51 PM »

First post scandal poll is out from Campaign Research

Conservative: 37%
Liberal: 32%
NDP: 14%
Green: 7%
Bloc: 5%
People's: 3%

Large change from pre-scandal polling but not a major shift from the last Campaign Research poll, which had the Liberals and Tories statistically tied.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1768 on: February 19, 2019, 11:07:44 AM »

Butts resigned yesterday.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1769 on: February 27, 2019, 11:48:12 PM »

It seems the minister who resigned dropped the bomb: Trudeau refuses to resign over claims officials interfered in bribery prosecution.

Asking out of ignorance, can Trudeau survive without his government being crippled or could the pressure lead to his actual resignation/implosion?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1770 on: February 28, 2019, 05:54:18 AM »

It seems the minister who resigned dropped the bomb: Trudeau refuses to resign over claims officials interfered in bribery prosecution.

Asking out of ignorance, can Trudeau survive without his government being crippled or could the pressure lead to his actual resignation/implosion?

We're only eight months from a scheduled election, so I suspect he stays on. He has a majority in parliament and Canada doesn't have as much of a history parties of knifing their own leaders like say Australia.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1771 on: February 28, 2019, 06:42:38 AM »

To add to my previous comment, the PM is in deep, deep trouble, and could still resign if things get bad enough. I still think he stays on until at least E-day. Time to wait and see.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1772 on: February 28, 2019, 04:03:01 PM »

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1773 on: March 01, 2019, 02:04:47 PM »

I think Trudeau will win another federal term as Prime Minister, or in Beltway/Westminster speak: The Liberal Party will win another term, or keep seats.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1774 on: March 04, 2019, 03:15:59 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies