Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:49:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 190322 times)
cp
United Kingdom

« on: January 31, 2018, 08:31:27 AM »
« edited: January 31, 2018, 08:33:05 AM by cp »

If true, I want to know whether any more of my Canadian politics slash fiction stories might actually be real Tongue
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 07:34:30 AM »

Six of one ... Tongue
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »

Any clue unto what this party might be named? I don't know why I'm so interested in that rather small detail, but I am.

No idea, but I bet it will be something vague and boring.

Strong words coming from an NDP supporter  Tongue

Cheesy Hey, when did I ever say I liked the name? At least it beats "New Party".

Lol. Maybe we should just go with 'The Party'. It's got a nice Soviet ring to it Tongue

In all sincerity, Bernier would probably try to come up with something idiosyncratic, knowing his enormous ego. I'm thinking something like 'En Marche' by Macron.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 12:42:31 AM »

And what's with the defeatist attitude about Trudeau and the next election? Even if it's an uphill battle, at the very least the Conservative Party could reduce the Liberals to a minority which would pave the way for a victory in the next vote. But as it stands, there's the real chance the Trudeau Liberals would win 200+ seats with just 37% of the national vote. Jean Chretien would be proud.

I wouldn't call it defeatist. The Liberal lead has declined to about 4% from 8% in the 2015 election and 15-20% earlier in Trudeau's mandate. That's not A+ material, but it isn't disastrous, especially against a popular first term PM. In fact I'd say we'd be in the minority territory you mentioned if it weren't for the NDP and Bloc pooping the bed in Quebec... but then that's not Scheer's fault is it.
[/quote]

Eh, it kind of is. At least insofar as he has been utterly incapable of taking advantage of the NDP/Bloc implosions. A more charismatic or intellectually forceful leader might have been able to make some intervention to shift people's perceptions, or at least capture their attention and help him redefine his image.

As for Singh, I think he's done reasonably well. He hasn't stepped in it on any major issues and he's still a good spokesman for the NDP and his brand of politics. As far as I can gather, the prevailing attitude about him is a general sense of frustration about the political landscape rather than his deficiencies as a leader: it sucks that his not an MP, that the Liberals are still popular, and that the two NDP provincial governments aren't aligned on oil exploitation.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 02:21:38 PM »

She is from York Region, which is trending Conservative relative to the rest of the GTA.  She only won narrowly in the big red wave.

Also her riding went massively PC last June going 56% so this was probably one of the lowest hanging fruits for the Conservatives.  Not saying it is totally out of principle, but I think the Conservatives probably had a slight edge here to begin with.

She has a military background so it's not outlandish that she might find the Tories appealing, but since she is a backbencher with no track record of rightist statements, I'm going to assume its self interest.

Guilty until proven innocent Tongue

Yup, that sounds about right. Military folk tend to lean Conservative in Canada most of the time, so the groundwork is laid. If she thinks she's going to be listened to more as a Tory backbencher than a Liberal one, fair enough. If she thinks she's lining herself up for a Cabinet position in the 2019-2023 Scheer government ... she may be being a touch premature.

2) Bernier has an ego the size of the Canadian Shield.

*Epic* analogy. Well done.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies