Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:18:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 190254 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: October 21, 2015, 05:45:34 PM »

An interesting question for policy wonks:

Premier Wynne introduced a pension plan in Ontario after Harper refused to expand CPP. Trudeau now has a majority and wants to expand CPP, but that would take a lot of time and negotiations with the provinces. Will/should she continue implementing the new pension plan only to possibly cancel it after a very short period of time, or should she hold off and try to help Trudeau fast track a new solution

I'm pretty sure I read she would suspend her plan if Trudeau won.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 12:36:29 AM »

So people are threatening to kill Rachel Notley.

I'm pretty pissed off at this. Hoping the RCMP takes names and rounds up these people and makes an example of them.

They won't. Knowing RCMP, it's very possible the threats come from RCMP people.

RCMP. Nasty bunch of people.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 08:17:43 PM »

Apparently some rednecks think it is LITERALLY genocide.

Essentially, family farmers were concerned that the implementation of the rules would threaten the viability of their farms, and they were highly annoyed by the lack of consultation from the government and the government's refusal to delay passing the bill until after the legislature's winter break.  Then the Wildrose decided to take that simmering anger in the rural areas and whip it up into a frenzy.

So, what, farmers think it's fine to endanger the security of their own family members if it's for the viability of the farm?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 06:05:46 PM »

Romeo Saganash MP (NDP, Abitibi-Baie James-Nunavik-Eeyou) won't seek a 3rd term in 2019.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 07:41:39 PM »

Elementary school shooting in SK, 5 dead, 2 wounded.

High school, in fact.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »

Labeaume (Quebec City's mayor) is neutral on Energy East, saying he is for pipelines in general, but saying than Transcanada is incompetent.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 06:45:53 PM »

Quebec's unemployment rate is lower than Alberta's for the first time in 30 years. Halifax is a solid 1.5% below Calgary. No schadenfreude for me though as my brother in law was just laid off there Sad

Maybe we will see a flood of Albertans rushing to Quebec and Atlantic Canada to find work Tongue. Would be interesting to see the West becoming stagnant with a booming East.

I won't be happy until that putrid Brad Wall is forced to be nice to the East.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 09:05:59 PM »

But I guess it fits a certain narrative about the NDP to have a bunch of radical leftists fighting the leadership.

It's Canada, all media do what the Liberal spinroom tells them to say.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 02:18:10 AM »

If I were him, seeing the number of ex-caucus members or current not supporting me, I would exit the party as quickly as possible if I had another interesting job opportunity.

Maybe he'd become a Conservative, he already tried being a Liberal.

The Review is tomorrow, right?

That's quite unfair, as there is no provincial NDP in Quebec.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 02:09:12 PM »

Well, I can't really blame them, there is a problem in the party, but it wasn't the leader.

It's rather his advisors and the high-level employees of the party, which were severely disconnected from the reality during the campaign. Mulcair is a victim of their cluelessness and bad advice.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 10:39:38 PM »

Well, it's not my New Democratic Party of 2011 anymore. That was peak NDP and now we're back to full on "shoot self in the foot for the sake of it" mode. At least Horvath isn't horrible, I'll continue to support her and the provincial party, but at least I won't have to live under Premier Brown.

I hardly consider peak NDP being at the point when the Liberals are to the left of you.

Cool, but living under an NDP opposition was the only good thing about a Conservative majority at the time, and they were a damn good opposition under competent leadership. I don't give a damn about some poor stupid delegates thinking that the party doesn't seem to be left-wing enough for them. They've only put another obstacle in the NDP's long road out of obscurity.

I'm pretty sure the issue of all the petro-delegates of Alberta wasn't that. They want yet naother petro-party.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 02:43:47 PM »

Well, it's not my New Democratic Party of 2011 anymore. That was peak NDP and now we're back to full on "shoot self in the foot for the sake of it" mode. At least Horvath isn't horrible, I'll continue to support her and the provincial party, but at least I won't have to live under Premier Brown.

I hardly consider peak NDP being at the point when the Liberals are to the left of you.

Cool, but living under an NDP opposition was the only good thing about a Conservative majority at the time, and they were a damn good opposition under competent leadership. I don't give a damn about some poor stupid delegates thinking that the party doesn't seem to be left-wing enough for them. They've only put another obstacle in the NDP's long road out of obscurity.

Being a rhetorical carbon copy of the Liberals is a sure fire way to obscurity though. It's unfortunate, but the Libs have triangulated, and the NDP needs to distance themselves. It's not going to get them power, but it will save them from being wiped out.

That's the thing. If Liberals and NDP are seen as being at the same place, Liberals win, since their machine is much better than ours.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 04:17:10 PM »

PC can't afford to upset the Ontario Landowners Association. They are the reason John Tory lost his by-election and they are quite powerful in rural Eastern Ontario.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 11:41:53 PM »

An article in Le Journal de Montréal asking if it's the end of the NDP in Québec.

No, but it's not surprising a Péladeau newspaper asks the question.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 02:22:55 PM »

Supreme Court accepts to hear the case about voting rights of Canadians living abroad.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 05:26:57 PM »

It's Cheryl Gallant. Classy and her don't belong in the same sentence.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 10:29:35 AM »

Because of a burnout, the new Quebec Culture minister, Luc Fortin, go on a leave for a few weeks. Replaced by his predecessor Hélène David, also Higher Education minister (all those moves were caused by the sick leave of Pierre Moreau).

Due to illness and scandals, the government lost 3 ministers since February.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 03:11:57 PM »

Wouldn't single-member-district IRV be the best system for the Liberals? It would allow them to reap Conservative votes to challenge NDP members and NDP votes to challenge Conservatives. It wouldn't by any means be a permanent Liberal majority, but it does seem like the Liberals would be in a significantly better spot than they're in now.

I personally think that's what they want.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 05:50:02 AM »

Well this is shocking to say the least.

Has any American or Canadian city this large been completely evacuated since New Orleans during Katrina?

A lot of people are driving all the way to Edmonton rather than stay at nearby campgrounds.

Sadly, it was thr right call to do, as the city is currently burning. Beacon Hill is 80% destroyed, some other neighbourhoods are quite devasted, too.

Brian Jean, the Wildrose Party leader, is among the people whose house burnt.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 04:05:57 PM »

New Glasgow supported the merger, but the other three municipalities did not. The Town of Pictou was very divided, the western ward supported it 54-46 but the eastern ward did not (58% no).  Results: http://munpict.ca/images/elections_images/may28_2016results.pdf

Page 3 is saying that Yes got 44% and no 66%, so, I wouldn't trust them.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 05:19:48 PM »

Trudeau Jr. is like the dream liberal, he would have taken the democratic primaries in a walk

He is a Conservative. A real Liberal would have booted Deepak Chopra, CEO of Canada Post, as soon he entered office. It's an union-busting, anti-equal pay, anti-customer state corporation which should have been reined in long ago (and Chopra banned from any position in government for mismanagement).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 05:02:33 PM »

Hagrid, do you think Julian, Boulerice or Angus are "low-quality?"

Angus still doesn't speak French, as far as I know.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 05:07:55 PM »

"Strike" action. Right-wing hackiness, a lock-out was more likely.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 09:48:52 PM »

Seems kind of pointless to me. What exactly is to be gained here besides making the lame duck leader leave an three years before an election instead of two?

The issue seems than he did no fundraising/activities over the summer.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2016, 02:37:06 PM »

How well known is Pierre Ducasse in Quebec? It's really weird that he has been out of the spotlight over the last 5 years.

Not very much.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies