Chris Bell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:31:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chris Bell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Chris Bell  (Read 3540 times)
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2005, 08:00:44 PM »

What's he about?

Do y'all think he's a good candidate?

I don't know much about him, but he has a nice website.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 08:26:04 PM »

Who is he?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 08:38:31 PM »

I think he's a Democratic former Congressman from Texas.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 08:41:55 PM »

I think he's a Democratic former Congressman from Texas.

Running for Governor.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 08:58:14 PM »

IIRC, he was also a failed candidate for Houston mayor before becoming a one-term congressman who was badly beaten in a primary after being redistricted into an African-American majority district.

He essentially has no chance, though, I suppose, if Perry survives the primary against KBH and if he does something really stupid, there could be an opening for a Democrat, but I doubt it would be Bell.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 09:00:52 PM »

I know little about him other than that he was defeated in the TX-9 congressional primary as an incumbnent after his seat was gerrymandered to be only 21% white. The guy who beat him, NAACPite Al Green, went on to win 72%-27%. His district was in Houston, I believe.

In other words, he has very little chance.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 10:04:38 PM »

IIRC, he was also a failed candidate for Houston mayor before becoming a one-term congressman who was badly beaten in a primary after being redistricted into an African-American majority district.

He essentially has no chance, though, I suppose, if Perry survives the primary against KBH and if he does something really stupid, there could be an opening for a Democrat, but I doubt it would be Bell.

This is correct.
He has no chance statewide.  Too liberal to pick up white votes.  Too white to pick up minorities.
M

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 01:43:57 AM »

Very familiar. Essentially, in the 2001 general mayoral election we had the following candidates:

Lee Brown- incumbent, African-American. Liberal Democrat. Former New York police commissioner (Crown Heights riots on his watch). Supported by popular former mayor Bob Lanier. Engaged in race baiting and endless road construction and really not much else. He was pretty unpopular for the majority of his tenure.

Orlando Sanchez- city councilman, Cuban American, the first politician I ever worked for. Big Republican. The Brown campaign basically painted him in Hispanic communities as a fake Latino- he has blue eyes, fair skin, and a Southern accent, even though he was born in Cuba sndonly started learning English after immigrating at the age of 6. Recognized as Brown's big challenger.

Chris Bell- Councilman, white. Not all that much was known about him, but he seemed to be conservative rather than liberal.

Now, in Houston you need 50% of the vote outright (ha ha) or there's a runoff between the two top vote getters. As expected, Brown and Sanchez advanced to the runoff. It was an extremely close campaign, and Bell shocked everyone by a high-profile endorsement and enthusiastic campaign for Brown. For various reasons, Brown beat Sanchez by 52-48.

Then Bell got his big payoff when, in 2002, popular Houston congressman and Lloyd Bentsen nephew Ken Bentsen (at the time, my congressman) lost the Democratic nomination for Senate, and Bell got the nod to run for Representative of the old 25th District, which he won narrowly (it was a moderately left-leaning district).

He served a single term in Congress, during which the famous DeLay redistricting pland passed. Bell was stuck into a black districy, where he was beaten in the primary by African-American Al Green. On the verge of leaving congress, he launched the DeLay ethics investigation.

Overall, a complete political opportunists. I personally see nothing in him, although he has his followers (don't they all!)

As for the minority idea- it doesn't work, they've tried it. Remember Ron Kirk (African-American Dallas mayor) for Senate and Tony Sanchez (Rio Grande Valley "businessman, suspected drug lord) for governor, the Democratic 2002 candidates? The problem isn't the color of their candidates skin, it's that Texas has moved right, and the Texas Dems (who are now unfavored, anyway) seem unable to transform into the kind of Democratic party that gets elected in the modern South (as in Louisiana, Oklahoma).

The Democrats best current candidates, as far as I am aware, and Martin Frost and Ken Bentsen- moderate, experience, charismatic, really fine candidates. Failing that, Houston mayor Bill White, (who despite his name is white) though far from my favorite, seems to have his followers and is a moderate. But neither appear to be running, and the Kinky Friedman independent campaign will be either completely without effect or draw some Democratic votes. (This is nothing like Ventura, Kinky's a hasbeen and a relatively insane one at that. His campaign has already officially kicked off, to very little media fanfare).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 07:23:30 AM »

He is the best dem. running.  This is Texas so he doesn't stand a chance in hell.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 07:30:07 AM »

The name is Pete Bell, and he's running for President, not Governor.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 07:32:21 AM »

The name is Pete Bell, and he's running for President, not Governor.

Thats the one.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 10:33:02 PM »

Very familiar. Essentially, in the 2001 general mayoral election we had the following candidates:

Lee Brown- incumbent, African-American. Liberal Democrat. Former New York police commissioner (Crown Heights riots on his watch). Supported by popular former mayor Bob Lanier. Engaged in race baiting and endless road construction and really not much else. He was pretty unpopular for the majority of his tenure.

Orlando Sanchez- city councilman, Cuban American, the first politician I ever worked for. Big Republican. The Brown campaign basically painted him in Hispanic communities as a fake Latino- he has blue eyes, fair skin, and a Southern accent, even though he was born in Cuba sndonly started learning English after immigrating at the age of 6. Recognized as Brown's big challenger.

Chris Bell- Councilman, white. Not all that much was known about him, but he seemed to be conservative rather than liberal.

Now, in Houston you need 50% of the vote outright (ha ha) or there's a runoff between the two top vote getters. As expected, Brown and Sanchez advanced to the runoff. It was an extremely close campaign, and Bell shocked everyone by a high-profile endorsement and enthusiastic campaign for Brown. For various reasons, Brown beat Sanchez by 52-48.

Then Bell got his big payoff when, in 2002, popular Houston congressman and Lloyd Bentsen nephew Ken Bentsen (at the time, my congressman) lost the Democratic nomination for Senate, and Bell got the nod to run for Representative of the old 25th District, which he won narrowly (it was a moderately left-leaning district).

He served a single term in Congress, during which the famous DeLay redistricting pland passed. Bell was stuck into a black districy, where he was beaten in the primary by African-American Al Green. On the verge of leaving congress, he launched the DeLay ethics investigation.

Overall, a complete political opportunists. I personally see nothing in him, although he has his followers (don't they all!)

As for the minority idea- it doesn't work, they've tried it. Remember Ron Kirk (African-American Dallas mayor) for Senate and Tony Sanchez (Rio Grande Valley "businessman, suspected drug lord) for governor, the Democratic 2002 candidates? The problem isn't the color of their candidates skin, it's that Texas has moved right, and the Texas Dems (who are now unfavored, anyway) seem unable to transform into the kind of Democratic party that gets elected in the modern South (as in Louisiana, Oklahoma).

The Democrats best current candidates, as far as I am aware, and Martin Frost and Ken Bentsen- moderate, experience, charismatic, really fine candidates. Failing that, Houston mayor Bill White, (who despite his name is white) though far from my favorite, seems to have his followers and is a moderate. But neither appear to be running, and the Kinky Friedman independent campaign will be either completely without effect or draw some Democratic votes. (This is nothing like Ventura, Kinky's a hasbeen and a relatively insane one at that. His campaign has already officially kicked off, to very little media fanfare).

Sanchez did incredibly well in a number of majority-Hispanic communities in inner Houston, especially in East End, especially in CD-29, but you probably already knew that.  Smiley

The reason why he lost is because the white liberals stupidly backed the bureaucrat Lee Brown again, and after they reelected him, even they started viewing their votes for him as being idiotic and that he was a terrible mayor, which anyone with any common sense already knew. 

I got great satisfaction out of that one, though I supported Chris Bell the first time (he went considerably left after he lost that race), though I did support Sanchez in the runoff.  Smiley

One fact you missed:  Lee Brown was also police commissioner of Houston during the mid-1980s, before he went to NYC and was involved in the Dinkins administration during the time of the Crown Heights riots.
M

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 12:02:18 AM »

And if the debate had been two or three days earlier, Sanchez would have won. His Bob Stein poll numbers were steadily ticking upwards, like a point a day, the week before the election. Anyway, after he was outspent 7-2 in 2003 he's really sunk; I was at the "victory party" on Telephone Road. Sad night. Anyway, he's gotten married recently and gone back into business. No one serious is even challenging White now. One could wish he'd be more serious about immigration, and zoning, and roads (City Hall really doesn't know what they're doing in that regard!), but he's a decent mayor.

Anywho, Bell will break 30 but maybe not 40. The only reason he may is that few people really adore Perry, even if unchallenged he's no one's favorite. The main reason Tony Sanchez did so badly is he was an evident crook, and the fact that he had video of Perry being pulled over by a cop was more worrisome to many people than the fact that Perry said, "why don't you let me get on down the road?" or whatever it was. I wish Hutchison would wait another four years, I don't know why she wants to be governor anyway, but if she goes for it in 2010 who'll challenger her, Dewhurst?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 12:13:55 AM »

And if the debate had been two or three days earlier, Sanchez would have won. His Bob Stein poll numbers were steadily ticking upwards, like a point a day, the week before the election. Anyway, after he was outspent 7-2 in 2003 he's really sunk; I was at the "victory party" on Telephone Road. Sad night. Anyway, he's gotten married recently and gone back into business. No one serious is even challenging White now. One could wish he'd be more serious about immigration, and zoning, and roads (City Hall really doesn't know what they're doing in that regard!), but he's a decent mayor.

Agreed, though as we all know, zoning will probably never happen in the city proper.  It should have probably passed in 1991, but then it would have been problematic.  Too many parts of the city now, especially on the East Side, would experience major league problems with land use, etc, now, even more so than then.

Anyway, I certainly agree about White.  At least he's competant, and that's more than I could ever say for Brown.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Agreed, on all points, though if Perry wins, he may run again, you never know.  Tongue

Hutchinson's not going to be good Presidential material because of the pro-choice thingy, but as VP, does it really matter whether she's Senator or Prez.  I don't see it.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 01:44:20 AM »

Bell is my favorite Texas politician, just as a sidenote.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 01:45:07 AM »

Bell is my favorite Texas politician, just as a sidenote.

I bluff.  Sheila Jackson Lee is my fave.  Bell is second.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 04:17:59 AM »

Kinky Friedman, eh? Well, I'm proud to be an asshole from El Paso.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 09:40:32 AM »

I'm not sure...considering how badly Bell will get crushed, I just may have to support Kinky. Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 09:43:34 AM »

I'm not sure...considering how badly Bell will get crushed, I just may have to support Kinky. Wink
See, that's why you got Green on that European ideologies test a while back!
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 04:45:11 PM »

Bell has a nice website

www.chrisbell.com
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 10:43:09 PM »

(This is nothing like Ventura, Kinky's a hasbeen and a relatively insane one at that. His campaign has already officially kicked off, to very little media fanfare).

Kinky has been on CNN and other news channels at least 10-15 times.  That is good for a third party candidacy.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 10:43:46 PM »

Good websites are what won it for Howard Dean in the Dem primaries and John Kerry in the general. Wink
M

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 12:42:56 AM »

Hutchinson's not going to be good Presidential material because of the pro-choice thingy, but as VP, does it really matter whether she's Senator or Prez.  I don't see it.

Right. Especially since the main reason Senators have problems is that they have records, which she has already anyway.

Since there is no GOP woman with the standing to run for president in '08 and Hillary seems likely to be the Dem candidate, a GOP woman makes some sense as a running mate. And there are really only three who could do that- Condi, Kay Bailey, and Liddy Dole. All have their flaws, but on a list of three anyone has decent odds.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2005, 07:04:37 AM »

It is interesting after he went from being elected to city council in 1997 his bio says he served 5 years before elected to Congress in 2002.  No mention of his mayoral loss in 2001 (or his run for the Texas House from Amarillo in 1984).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2005, 07:19:04 AM »

It is interesting after he went from being elected to city council in 1997 his bio says he served 5 years before elected to Congress in 2002.  No mention of his mayoral loss in 2001 (or his run for the Texas House from Amarillo in 1984).

All these sites are like that.
Liza Murkowski's senate website biography used not to mention the fact that her dad appointed her, or that her dad was Governor of Alaska (he was indirectly alluded to in her self-description as a "Third Generation Alaskan", though.) Of course I haven't checked since the election.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies