Amazon (and the rest of the internet) is killing local businesses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:04:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Amazon (and the rest of the internet) is killing local businesses
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: is this a good thing or a bad thing?
generally good

generally bad

mixed (waffler)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Amazon (and the rest of the internet) is killing local businesses  (Read 672 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:39:28 AM »

So I knew I needed a new air filter for one of the cars (I've got a sad story about my Mazda3, but I don't want to talk about it) and kept forgetting about it.  I remember last night.  Bought the damn thing at a stoplight off my Amazon app.  Took like 20 seconds.  It will be here tomorrow for cheaper than I could have gotten it locally.  Yes, it kind of sucks that it's doing a number on the local Autozone, Pet's Smart, Dan's House of Photography, Crazy Carl's Discount Waffle Iron Suppository and Jose's Casa de Tire Store, but does the bad outweigh the good?  I don't think it does.  The sh**t we buy is cheaper, we don't have to go anywhere (other than the front door) and it's easier to read reviews on the product and compare it to other similar products.

mmm waffles

(I do NOT approve of people going to a store to check a product out, then leaving and buying it online....that's not cool....MAYBE for a new car, but even then it's kind of sketchy)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 10:38:25 AM »

Welcome to free market competition.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 11:18:33 AM »

Does anyone still believe reviews on the internet?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 11:28:56 AM »

Not any individual one, but if something has thousands of reviews and has a nice 4 out of 5 stars and another product that might be 10% cheaper, but has thousands of reviews and has a crappy 1.5 stars (and has written reviews bringing up the same problems over and over)....I'm buying the 4 star product.  You wouldn't?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 12:05:28 PM »

It's hard to say in the long-term.  In the long term, you can't stop people from choosing the cheaper, more convenient option, that's for sure.  The local Mom & Pop businesses need to provide something you can't get at Amazon. 

If you're starting a small business today, you're probably not going into retail that competes with Amazon or Walmart.  Nor, are you starting an old school taxi company that competes with Uber.  But, there are plenty of small businesses like restaurants, bars, therapists, message therapists, personal trainers, etc.  Such is the way of the world.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 05:14:55 PM »

Not any individual one, but if something has thousands of reviews and has a nice 4 out of 5 stars and another product that might be 10% cheaper, but has thousands of reviews and has a crappy 1.5 stars (and has written reviews bringing up the same problems over and over)....I'm buying the 4 star product.  You wouldn't?

Well, I guess in an extreme like that-- still wouldn't be surprised if some bot created all those reviews.  I'm still the type to go to hardware or auto parts store (or even B&N).  Did order a driver side rear view mirror once via Amazon vendor in an extreme situation , but despite paying for overnight shipping, it didn't make it (arrived day after Thanksgiving instead of day before--at least no one stole it off my front porch).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 06:06:51 PM »

I like supporting local businesses, but sometimes I need to get something unusual and I can't really think of where I'd be able to find it. Then Amazon comes to mind as an option. I hate myself for it, but it sure is convenient.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 10:24:21 PM »

What do you consider 'local businesses? If thinking in terms of scale, that small diner, immigrant grocery store, a local bar, or what not aren't really in competition with Amazon. The more specialized retail chains were already being beat back by stores like Walmart or Target anyways, especially in the rural and exurbia anyways and are in turn being crushed by Amazon.

I think many local stores will adapt and specialize to the needs of their location to survive, chains will offer more select service such as trying an item in store before purchasing it online (Bonobos) or have items that are kinda tricky to purchase online (Staples or Home Depot). Small mom-and-pop businesses will continue to survive like they always do.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »

What if Amazon's headquarters is located down the street? Do they count as a local business? Smiley
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 03:17:08 PM »

I read a bunch of three star reviews usually.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 10:55:38 PM »

'T's what we get for hopping on the "nationwide" and "global" bandwagons. This isn't something to complain about, we've been digging our own grave for a while.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 08:28:48 PM »

I think it's a good thing that there is expanded access to goods.  This is much more of a "free market" than going to a big box shopping mall could ever be.  That being said, I don't necessarily utilize it all that much, as I live near a cluster of locally owned businesses and I enjoy walking to buy groceries.  There are lots of small shops selling fruit and vegetables, often with great bargains for stuff that is about to go off, perfect for juicing or immediate cooking.

So, I suppose, ultimately, I think most of the small businesses have already been killed off by chains and larger shopping centers (which has its advantages, as well - in some cases, a chain may be more willing to abide by industrial regulations than a small business, depending on your circumstances, and also they tend to have more open hiring processes).  The Internet neutralizes many of the problems associated with isolated locations, and it seems far more advantageous than not that people would have expanded access to information and products.  There are plenty of small businesses making a majority of their earnings from Internet operations, too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies