UK Parliamentary by-elections, 2015 onwards (also devolved legislatures)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:58:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Parliamentary by-elections, 2015 onwards (also devolved legislatures)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28
Author Topic: UK Parliamentary by-elections, 2015 onwards (also devolved legislatures)  (Read 85863 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: January 15, 2017, 10:24:47 AM »

The sad part is that he's become very unpopular without being hated. I think people just see him as pathetic.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #276 on: January 15, 2017, 10:59:40 AM »

I do wonder how bad it would have to get for him to go, or alternatively to lose the support of his hardcore.

Mostly they seem content to blame everything on "teh Media" without an introspection - I can't see that losing a couple of by-elections, even in safe seat would change that.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2017, 02:06:52 PM »

The sad part is that he's become very unpopular without being hated. I think people just see him as pathetic.

"Despised" is an uncomfortable place for a politician to be in. But, alas, despised, but not hated, leaders are not easy to get rid of - especially in the absence of a clear alternative.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2017, 02:16:49 PM »

As much hate as Corbyn receives (& I admit he has faults), the guy is a decent guy, as in very dignified even in attacking & he has got a really good quality voice. The other guy Owen looked a complete joke next to him!
Who gives a shot about Owen Smith? He's gone now, no one cares about him.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »

Owen Smith managed to take a more dovish stance on terrorism than Jeremy Corbyn...
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #280 on: January 15, 2017, 03:59:44 PM »

As much hate as Corbyn receives (& I admit he has faults), the guy is a decent guy, as in very dignified even in attacking & he has got a really good quality voice. The other guy Owen looked a complete joke next to him!
He is a pathetic Arsenal loving Muppet thought. This football analogy has some substantive point: his brand of Labour is to national politics what Arsenal and their comedy support is to English football, a detached ridiculous London phenomena no one can see back in power.

I have plenty of mates living in the home counties (that happens after three decades of supporting Spurs), I was at a dinner in Sussex last May where a family of Labour voters (and proper yids) all said they can't see themselves voting for him due to his quirky metropolitan attitude. Labour under him will be demolished.

Personally, I don't think he's a decent guy (seems like the super liberal prick everybody hated in their undergrads). But that's a matter of opinion I suppose.   
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #281 on: January 15, 2017, 04:38:21 PM »

Corbyn reminds me of a left-wing Ben Carson, tbh.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #282 on: January 15, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2017, 04:58:43 PM by Phony Moderate »

He is a pathetic Arsenal loving Muppet thought. This football analogy has some substantive point: his brand of Labour is to national politics what Arsenal and their comedy support is to English football, a detached ridiculous London phenomena no one can see back in power.

Corbyn a London phenomena? I believe his support in the leadership elections was generally stronger outside of London than within it and he's hated (or at least seen as a complete joke) by the London media. Blairites (particularly a certain MP who is about to quit Parliament) are surely more metropolitan than Corbyn but they're supposedly more electable than him.

I'd suggest that talk about the 'metropolitan elite' is, generally speaking, a very metropolitan thing in itself. Tongue
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #283 on: January 15, 2017, 08:43:41 PM »

What currently held seats is Corbyn "destined" to lose?

Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #284 on: January 16, 2017, 12:31:32 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2017, 12:34:33 AM by Hnv1 »

Corbyn a London phenomena? I believe his support in the leadership elections was generally stronger outside of London than within it and he's hated (or at least seen as a complete joke) by the London media. Blairites (particularly a certain MP who is about to quit Parliament) are surely more metropolitan than Corbyn but they're supposedly more electable than him.

I'd suggest that talk about the 'metropolitan elite' is, generally speaking, a very metropolitan thing in itself. Tongue
I didn't say anything about an elite, there's more in London than just an elite (well there are several types of elites in the metro). Corbyn's of the London looney left old guard now backed by their obnoxious hipsters crowd moving from all other down to gentrify South London.

Labour members=\=Labour voters. You don't win a GE with the Bristol students union

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The biggest thumping he's going to get is in the Midlands followed by the North East
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #285 on: February 01, 2017, 03:06:10 AM »

Polling day for both Copeland and Stoke on Trent Central is 23 February.

7 candidates for Copeland:

Michael Guest (Independent)
Rebecca Hanson (Lib Dem)
Trudy Harrison (Con)
Roy Ivinson (Independent)
Jack Lenox (Green)
Fiona Mills (UKIP)
Gillian Troughton (Lab)

(I like the picture of Wast Water used to illustrate the council's byelection page, but it's not very representative of the parts of the constituency people live in...)

Ivinson stood in Workington in 2015 and apparently wants to stop global warming.  Guest is a Copeland councillor and according to a Cumbrian local paper is aiming to represent thise "dissatisfied with party politics".

10 candidates for Stoke Central:

Mohammed Akram (Independent)
Zulfiqar Ali (Lib Dem)
Jack Brereton (Con)
The Incredible Flying Brick (OMRLP)
Adam Colclough (Green)
Godfrey Davies (Christian People's Alliance)
Barbara Fielding (Independent)
David Furness (BNP)
Paul Nuttall (UKIP)
Gareth Snell (Lab)

The Tories are trying hard in Copeland (which is certainly the sort of seat you'd expect them to take in a General Election on current polling) and appear to be leaving Stoke Central (which isn't) to UKIP.  How much of a threat UKIP really are in Stoke I don't know...
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #286 on: February 01, 2017, 03:10:14 AM »

I saw a poll from labour leave that had UKIP(Nuttall) up by 10 over labour I don't know how serious or accurate that poll is though
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #287 on: February 01, 2017, 05:11:58 AM »

I saw a poll from labour leave that had UKIP(Nuttall) up by 10 over labour I don't know how serious or accurate that poll is though

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9799

Looks like
A. Tiny sample size
B. Self selected sample

So totally useless
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #288 on: February 01, 2017, 04:31:03 PM »

The Incredible Flying Brick?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #289 on: February 01, 2017, 07:09:13 PM »

The successor to Howling Laud Sutch.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #290 on: February 04, 2017, 04:20:34 PM »

Don't you mean Screaming Lord Sutch or was there another one between him and this one?
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #291 on: February 04, 2017, 06:18:44 PM »

Corbyn may have many faults but if you think he is a left wing Ben Carson, you probably have Palin level intelligence!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #292 on: February 04, 2017, 08:55:50 PM »

On a comprehensive platform of progressive reforms, including:
  • Abolishing gravity, effective immediately
  • Introducing piranha into the Trent
  • Developing the Stoke-on-Trent Civic Centre into an intergalactic space port
  • Promoting Pottermus Hippo to leader of the Stoke City Council
  • Fuelling all European trains with gravy
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #293 on: February 04, 2017, 10:27:17 PM »

Don't you mean Screaming Lord Sutch or was there another one between him and this one?
He (or they) change their names occasionally. There was some by-election (I can't for the life of me remember which one) where OMRL candidate was "Howling Laud".
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #294 on: February 05, 2017, 04:00:02 AM »

Alan "Howling Laud" Hope is still around and was the OMRLP candidate in the Richmond Park by-election.

They seem to have a small group of candidates who stand in by-elections geographically close to them. "The Incredible Flying Brick"'s real name is Nick Delves and he's a parish councillor in Kirk Ireton, Derbyshire, and has stood in a few by-elections before, and also in Derbyshire Dales in the 2010 general election.  (His parish council election was unopposed.)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: February 05, 2017, 09:24:33 AM »

Howling Laud Hope also has some, er, interesting views about black people.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #296 on: February 05, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »

What currently held seats is Corbyn "destined" to lose?

On a 1% swing to Con: Barrow, Brentford, Chester, Ealing Central, Halifax, Ilford North, Newcastle under Lyme, Wirral West, Wolverhampton South West
On a 2% swing to Con: Dewsbury, Enfield North, Hampstead and Kilburn, Hove, Lancaster, Derbyshire North East
On a 3% swing to Con: Birmingham Northfield, Bridgend, Harrow West, Middlesbrough South, Tooting, Walsall North, Westminster North, Wrexham
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #297 on: February 05, 2017, 07:34:00 PM »

although that list doesn't consider the boundary changes, although there aren't any proper notionals out for them yet and they'll probably change after the review stage
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #298 on: February 06, 2017, 02:05:33 PM »

He (or they) change their names occasionally. There was some by-election (I can't for the life of me remember which one) where OMRL candidate was "Howling Laud".

I know that Screaming Lord Sutch himself died in 1999.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #299 on: February 06, 2017, 04:43:12 PM »

Indeed. Hanged himself with a multi-coloured skipping rope.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies