Riots break out in India after Muslim barber refuses to close shop on Tuesday
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:43:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Riots break out in India after Muslim barber refuses to close shop on Tuesday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Riots break out in India after Muslim barber refuses to close shop on Tuesday  (Read 5237 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2015, 01:45:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

... What a random religious rule.  Similar to Christians not eating fish on Fridays I guess, but who actually does that any more?

When I set up my own religion, I will stipulate that jeans are forbidden to be worn on Thursdays, and that Doritos may only be consumed between noon and 3pm on weekdays.  Breaking these rules will result in public stoning, obvs.

I have never heard of this rule. Must be something the Hindus of that particular area do.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2015, 09:11:55 PM »

To be fair, a lot more people have been murdered for not worshiping the right god than have been murdered by a non-theist for worshiping any god.  Hell, there are two religions that can probably "win" this all by themselves.
To be fair, for most of history, non-theists were not in a position to kill religious folks for being religious, but there are plenty of examples from the 20th century to show that it can and will happen. Just because followers of two religions have had more opportunities to be assholes doesn't mean followers of those religions are more likely to be assholes. Assholery seems to be an equal opportunity fault for both theists and non-theists.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2015, 09:13:35 PM »

Agreed on all points.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 01:42:57 AM »

Cory's post is a flagrant and morally irresponsible overgeneralization but

Hindutva is one of the worst religious movements in the world.

Agreed.  My church does missions with and communicates with multiple Reformed churches in India, and the persecution of Christians has really ramped up thanks to that ideology.  It's getting harder to preach the word of God there, and the Hindus tend to be extremely intolerant of the local Christians.

I don't mean to be dick*k head but what's with Christians trying to convert Hindus and try to change eastern, Hindu culture to western, christian culture. I know people who go up to  houses, knock make speech about how everyone should convert and about how the Hindu religion is fake. The US government funds these programs for 'charity' even though a substantial amount of work they do is converting peole and wanting more western cultures.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2015, 12:08:07 PM »

I totally agree with Intell on this. Why on earth do Westerners expect others to be perfectly okay with open proselytization?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 01:59:53 PM »

Well most recent converts to Christianity in India are Dalits. I think this fact answers most questions.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2015, 02:09:18 PM »

Well most recent converts to Christianity in India are Dalits. I think this fact answers most questions.
Well, that certainly makes it somewhat different Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2015, 06:11:27 PM »

Cory's post is a flagrant and morally irresponsible overgeneralization but

Hindutva is one of the worst religious movements in the world.

Agreed.  My church does missions with and communicates with multiple Reformed churches in India, and the persecution of Christians has really ramped up thanks to that ideology.  It's getting harder to preach the word of God there, and the Hindus tend to be extremely intolerant of the local Christians.

I don't mean to be dick*k head but what's with Christians trying to convert Hindus and try to change eastern, Hindu culture to western, christian culture. I know people who go up to  houses, knock make speech about how everyone should convert and about how the Hindu religion is fake. The US government funds these programs for 'charity' even though a substantial amount of work they do is converting peole and wanting more western cultures.

Christianity is a missionary, proselytizing religion. It has been like that for 2000 years. It is, what it is. Eastern people telling Christians to change their faith in this case is equally preposterous Smiley
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2015, 10:27:28 AM »

These people wouldn't have rioted, in these scenarios if they weren't religious, I agree with that, however lots of atheists groups, (normally communists) have killed religious leaders as they want to institute state atheism and they will kill any counter revolutionary. There have also been lots of religious leaders/religious people dead because of hatred for religion by atheists and anti-theists.

Yes, and communism is widely panned because of their atrocities. You're pulling a classic "You Too!" fallacy. You're acting as if the atheistic persecution by communists somehow makes religions above criticism because "Atheists did it too!!"

My post still stands.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 08:21:02 PM »

Sadly these incidences will probably become more common due to demographics in India.

Not really. One the whole communal events like this are lot less likely than it was a couple of decades ago which in turn was a lot less likely than in the 1950s and 1960s.  There are a lot more reporting of them last couple of decades as the BJP started to come to power in state and then then national levels.  In terms of raw number of events they are trending down in India.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 11:58:02 PM »

Sadly these incidences will probably become more common due to demographics in India.

Not really. One the whole communal events like this are lot less likely than it was a couple of decades ago which in turn was a lot less likely than in the 1950s and 1960s.  There are a lot more reporting of them last couple of decades as the BJP started to come to power in state and then then national levels.  In terms of raw number of events they are trending down in India.

Of course accurate reporting of these events is hard, especially when they happen in the countryside.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies