Opinion of the Fat Acceptance Movement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:54:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of the Fat Acceptance Movement
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the Fat Acceptance Movement
FFs

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Opinion of the Fat Acceptance Movement  (Read 1847 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2015, 01:34:29 AM »

You know, restrictions on targeting junk to children, clear labelling rules, sugar taxation (we tax all other drugs, why not that poison?), rejigging farming subsidies to remove perverse incentives to overproduce high fructose syrup, ban and restrict fizzy drinks and junk foods being sold in schools, workforce rules to limit people being chained to desks all day etc. etc.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2015, 01:49:11 AM »

Restrictions on targeting junk to children-like a ban on candy commercials during kids shows?  There are already rules about that I think, or at least similar rules. <looks through the rules> Doesn't seem to be anything like what you want, mostly it's aimed at making sure some of the kids programming is educational.  I suppose adding your "no candy ads" rule wouldn't be too hard.  I'm not sure how much it would help, but experimentation is good.

clear labelling rules-our labels are pretty clear, not sure about yours.  If fatties chose not to read them or are ignorant of what the information means, well that's on them.

sugar taxation (we tax all other drugs, why not that poison?)-we tax drugs? (other than nicotine and alcohol, both of which are much worse than the non-drug sugar by any measure)

rejigging farming subsidies to remove perverse incentives to overproduce high fructose syrup-agree 100%

ban and restrict fizzy drinks and junk foods being sold in schools-that's just mean, but I don't really care

workforce rules to limit people being chained to desks all day-you don't see any problems with this?
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »

I'm all for ending subsidies and protective tariffs which benefit the big sugar industry in the U.S. and HFCS particularly thanks to the outsized influence of Iowa in our presidential election. Not big on punishing consumers though and i'm opposed to sin taxes which are fundamentally regressive both on junk food and on cigarettes. I think that poor people are capable of making informed decisions on there own and are just as much entitled to unhealthy pleasures as wealthy fancy cupcake eating, cigar smoking, single malt scotch drinkers.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies