Confirmation of Bacon King as Justice (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:57:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation of Bacon King as Justice (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Confirmation of Bacon King as Justice (Debating)  (Read 4442 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2015, 11:04:33 AM »

Hear, hear Winfield!
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2015, 11:07:03 AM »

The outgoing President had full constitutional authority to make this nomination, and in fact he made the right nomination. 

It has become increasingly clear this current Senate is nothing more than an establishment clique bent on self preservation and flaunting their perceived authority.

The behavior and arrogance of this Senate is disgraceful.

Yes, you are right here, but still... Griffin will swear in today, so I think that Griffin should have the right to nominate the new Justice. Nobody is saying that it's not constitutional. It's constitutional, but according to me and other colleagues, it's not the right timing.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2015, 03:56:10 PM »

I would like to note that the President has not rescinded my nomination when he could have easily done so - he clearly wishes to disregard the circumstances surrounding my appointment by the outgoing President Bore, so that the Senate can judge me by my own merits. I therefore respectfully request the Senate thoroughly peruse the testimony I've made before this confirmation hearing, rather than rejecting my nomination before it's even truly considered, on account of circumstances I had no part in.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2015, 04:07:44 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2015, 04:10:25 PM by Sen. Oakvale »

My dear comrades,

I've known BK for more than six years. I've had the privilege to work with him closely as a law partner, a political ally, and indeed as a counsel when I was on the Supreme Court.

He is, and I do not say this lightly, the single possible most qualified candidate to replace me on that hallowed body. The only plausible contenders I could think of who could possibly attempt to match Bacon King's legal knowledge, breadth of expertise and intellect are the late Chief Justice, Sam Spade, and the dearly departed Junkie, who most of you unfortunately won't remember.

I'll lay my cards on the table - I don't agree with the nominee on everything. I have deep reservations about his positions on some issues, which doubtless clash with my rather conservative approach while on the bench, and I strongly disagree with his interpretation of freedom for the Northeast as unconstitutional. But I know that he is an impeccably qualified candidate - the only qualified candidate for the job.

The arguments against Bacon King's nomination have been facile, intellectually dishonest and fundamentally political. Squabbling over who should have nominated him is a silly distraction. Who cares? When a Justice resigns as I did, the President nominates a replacement.

I did not hear any protests when outgoing President Tmth, in the dying days of his second term and long after his successor had been elected, nominated me for the Supreme Court way back in 2011. That nomination was also made in the shadow of scandal and talk of impeachment. But no one argued that the President did not have the constitutional right - the duty to appoint a Justice.

Some of you make the nonsensical and, frankly, downright offensive suggestion that because Bacon King voted based on the advice of his friends - in other words, how literally the vast majority of the Atlasian electorate vote, he would somehow rely on casual advice for how to rule on the Court.

This might be a concern for a political crony or intellectual empty suit. Bacon King is neither, and to imply otherwise irritates me not just as Bacon King's friend but as someone who's worked at the forefront of Atlasian law for most of my career. And that's not to mention the absurdity of the charge - have you ever seen a Supreme Court ruling? One of mine, I think in Roe v. Attorney General ZuWo, ran well into over four thousand words. They are dense, complex legal documents. The idea that Bacon King, or any Justice, could drop into IRC or PM, ask "guys do you think corporate taxation on a regional level may be unconstitutional as per the precedent set in Junkie v. Atlasia (2010) is laughable, and I think, deep down, you know it.

The nominee is the most qualified candidate for the Supreme Court in a decade. If the Senate rejects Bacon King, instead opting for some party crony or lightweight country lawyer, it will be the nail in the coffin of the credibility of this once esteemed chamber.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2015, 04:19:47 PM »

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2015, 10:53:25 PM »

The nominee for fun has been involved with shenanigans. Just his nomination looks like a trick (unexpected resignation in the last days of an outgoing President, and the nominee not even been asked before receiving nomination sounds fishy). He's been involved with people who harm Atlasia. He has shown bad judgement.

The Supreme Court must be composed of people who can be trusted to have credibility. There are good reasons to have doubts about the nominee. 
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2015, 11:50:53 PM »

The nominee for fun has been involved with shenanigans. Just his nomination looks like a trick (unexpected resignation in the last days of an outgoing President, and the nominee not even been asked before receiving nomination sounds fishy). He's been involved with people who harm Atlasia. He has shown bad judgement.

The Supreme Court must be composed of people who can be trusted to have credibility. There are good reasons to have doubts about the nominee. 

Hi - if you do genuinely care about the Senate selecting the best candidate, then I suggest you hold off on those vile accusation until you have read the several lengthy posts I have made where I thoroughly addressed each concern and provided specific reasons for why each of those concerns is entirely unwarranted Smiley

But if you want to make this confirmation hearing look like a partisan farce, then by all means please continue attacking me in ways that demonstrate you're literally judging me without even bothering to read what I've said.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2015, 12:32:21 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2015, 12:37:48 AM by Bacon »

You've had an opportunity to attack me, and I think I've given as good as I've taken. I leave you gentlemen now and you will read this, and you will interpret it - that's your right. But as I leave you, I want you to think about how much you're gonna be missing - you won't have Bacon to kick around anymore because gentlemen, this is my last press conference.

I hope that what I have said today will at least make Senators, the President, the press, to recognize that they have a right and a responsibility against a nominee to give him the shaft - but also to recognize when they give him the shaft, to keep at least one lonely Senator in the thread to listen to what the nominee actually says.

Thank you gentlemen, and good day.

I respectfully withdraw my nomination. It was silly of me to think anyone would listen or that I'd be taken seriously anymore - it appears I've lost what respect I ever had in this Senate and if that's how you all feel then I guess I'm fine with that
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2015, 02:41:51 AM »

So, Cris, if someone on IRC had told him to vote for you and he had, would you be striking the same tone? I am totally lost here. You are grasping at straws for any excuse to vote against Mr. Kingman and it's pathetic!!!

Also, apparently the latest argument from opponents of this nomination is that a Justice shouldn't know too much about the law, because then they will abuse it!!! What an IDIOTIC suggestion.

And yet BK has used his knowledge to abuse the law. 95% of the time, it has been a positive. However, he used his knowledge of the law to skirt expulsion once and a second time stated point blank that he could have done so again and how, but proceeded to resign as opposed to causing controversy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2015, 03:04:15 AM »

I sent some messages last night but after a rough day of work, I decided to spend it decompressing and catching up on sleep than dealing with this bullcrap.

First Off: I am not the most aggressive opponent of this nomination. Others have pushed me to go farther and I have said no.

Second of all, I have never cited the fact that bore made the appointment as an issure in and off itself precisely because I am very mindful of the fact that Tmth made the two appointments. I remember it clearly, because it was suppose to be Junkie on the court.

My only concern throughout this has been the support for secession. I don't care that BK asked for advise on how to vote in an Assembly or frankly even a Governor's race and then come back and say, "I voted on no information at all". To take advise to vote for secession and then come back and say, "I voted on no information at all" was basically the deal breaker for me. The legality is at best an open question, and with all the crap that has happened in this game so far this year, to trust to chance that a vote will be meaningless, a vote that most regarded as one of the most important in years, seemed to me to be a case of bad judgement.

I want to save this game, I want this game to be reformed and survive. However, it was made point blank to us in the Summer that there is a significant group that wants this game to die. They can deny it and hide it now all the want with all the plagiarized lines Donald ever "Trumped out", but it doesn't change what is the truth. If there is no trust towards that group it is because, they have earned their distrust with a long string of lies and deceit. It is that group's reputation that cost you the nomination BK, regardless of it being the secession vote or the appointment timing issue as a point of concern, it comes back to that central point.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2015, 08:36:35 AM »

Wonderful work as always, fellas!

PS: Thanks Poirot, you are always useful when one wants to know the blisteringly hot take of an underinformed dullard.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2015, 10:23:10 AM »

What a truly ignominious spectacle this has been!

The Senate has seen fit to prevent one of the most qualified legal minds in the history of Atlasia from taking a seat on the Supreme Court at a time of record inactivity and inability to fill government positions.  Now, the President has stated that he is in no hurry to fill this seat, and so the Senate, by its actions here today, has neutered the highest court in the land and destroyed the career of one of our most respected statesmen. 
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2015, 11:26:15 AM »

The Senate has seen fit to prevent one of the most qualified legal minds in the history of Atlasia from taking a seat on the Supreme Court at a time of record inactivity and inability to fill government positions.  Now, the President has stated that he is in no hurry to fill this seat, and so the Senate, by its actions here today, has neutered the highest court in the land and destroyed the career of one of our most respected statesmen. 

I haven't been paying too much attention but it seems like Atlasia is just three people talking to each other these days. At least BK won't have to waste his time with this game
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2015, 12:38:18 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2015, 01:06:55 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

The Senate has seen fit to prevent one of the most qualified legal minds in the history of Atlasia from taking a seat on the Supreme Court at a time of record inactivity and inability to fill government positions.  Now, the President has stated that he is in no hurry to fill this seat, and so the Senate, by its actions here today, has neutered the highest court in the land and destroyed the career of one of our most respected statesmen.  

What action? The Senate did nothing here but press legitimate concerns, which is its damn job, Barnes and the nominee withdrew before a vote was held. Whenever the Senate has abdicated that responsibility, like with Al, like with Keystone Phil, both of them long time players with a lot of experience, as well as a long history of trolling the game, the end result was disaster.

You guys seem to want a popularity contest where you vote a guy in regardless of his answers to the questions, because he happens to be in the right clique. And Winfield bashes us for being a corrupt establishment, I will say he is pointing his finger in the wrong direction. I didn't run for the Senate to continue the corrupt and stupid practices that gave us AG Keystone Phil and Game Moderator Ebowed (who did nothing for like six months) and just six months ago gave us Attorney General Al. These confirmation hearings are not so that you can just rubber stamp your friends into office, they are here to hold the executive branch accountable.

Edit: And from reading the President, his slower pace in picking a replacement is motivated by a desire to way all the pros and cons of a potential Justice and try to navigate the bitter divide in this chamber right now between those who want a rubber stamp and those who want accountability.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2015, 01:36:41 PM »

It's insane how we are supposed to act as if his qualifications were the only issue at point. Al was very highly qualified to be Attorney General, and committed egregious acts of treason while in office before resigning in disgrace. Maybe the Senate should have considered other factors, as some of its members requested be done.

Bacon King is a good person and highly qualified, but as we repeatedly raised he has a history of showing questionable judgment and getting involved with troll movements. By his own admission, he was seeking counsel from parties who are known to be seeking the demise of Atlasia.

We had good reason to fear that he would be favorable to these people. Considering the circumstances of his nomination (not that end-of-term nominations are necessarily wrong), these were not fears that could be assuaged, despite the nominee's best efforts to do so.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2015, 02:20:13 PM »

the Worst Senate in History strikes again
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2015, 08:49:17 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2015, 06:11:16 PM by Lincoln Republican »

The Atlasian Senate's attitude towards Bacon King
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2015, 09:03:51 PM »

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2015, 09:06:12 PM »

#ExpelTheIdiotCaucus
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2015, 09:46:39 PM »

There were no legitimate concerns raised by this body, only McCarthy-ite questions of affiliation. This was a disgraceful showing from the Senate, while the greatest legal mind in our history is given this treatment, a literal criminal is being given the pass from much of the Senate for the biggest foreign policy role in the country.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2015, 12:26:37 AM »

There were no legitimate concerns raised by this body, only McCarthy-ite questions of affiliation. This was a disgraceful showing from the Senate, while the greatest legal mind in our history is given this treatment, a literal criminal is being given the pass from much of the Senate for the biggest foreign policy role in the country.

I voted to impeach a real f@$king attorney from the Supreme Court for inactivity. I don't give two sh..ts about qualifications when you are voting to dismantle gov't in which you are seeking a post. It's called an overriding concern. Learn it, Maxy Baby!

The real joke caucus are the trolls who lied their way in on promises of radical change and impersonations of a real life blowhard merely so they can advance their extreme dissolutionist agenda and sabotage the saving of this game.

It is not Hamilton on steriods, it is Keystone Phil on steriods. "I have had my fill so I am just going to go stir sh..t up and screw anyone who might still be interested in playing".
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2015, 01:33:43 AM »

Your whole friends caucus vs. accountability caucus is cute and sounds nice, but it's total bullsh**t. You have not put the other nominees under similar scrutiny, even as their records of accomplishment are far more questionable. And both of the candidates, Classic Conservative, a criminal, and Rpryor, certainly fall more under "Friends of Thurmond" than not. You are being totally dishonest.

Not surprising considering you've been a part of this body for nearly a decade.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2015, 02:29:56 AM »

Your whole friends caucus vs. accountability caucus is cute and sounds nice, but it's total bullsh**t. You have not put the other nominees under similar scrutiny, even as their records of accomplishment are far more questionable. And both of the candidates, Classic Conservative, a criminal, and Rpryor, certainly fall more under "Friends of Thurmond" than not. You are being totally dishonest.

Not surprising considering you've been a part of this body for nearly a decade.

Are they not presently being questioned? They are!
Have these concerned not already been raised? They have!
Are these posts as critical as a Supreme Court Justice? No. GMs can be ignored, SoS can be fired.
Have I not asked important questions in both threads? I have!
Do I have them on record voting for secession, and then posting questionable comentaries on the matter? No
Do they have activity issues? Yes and that is being raised!
Have I repeatedly expressed my desire to vote for them before the questioning has even started, like some people love to do? No!

More lies and deceit from the usual sources. Not surprising from the guy who has been in a nasty divorce from the truth for two years.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2015, 03:07:40 AM »

More lies and deceit from the usual sources. Not surprising from the guy who has been in a nasty divorce from the truth for two years.

Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2015, 08:54:22 AM »

This clown really needs to shut his trap!!! The poor man digs his own grave further whenever he opens his mouth and spouts out more incoherent garbage.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies