Confirmation of Bacon King as Justice (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:04:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation of Bacon King as Justice (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation of Bacon King as Justice (Debating)  (Read 4500 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: November 04, 2015, 05:40:28 PM »

For several years now, whenever I am faced with a ballot where I have no strong opinion on how to vote (which, to be clear, is a rare occurrence), I'll log in to IRC and take the first good suggestion someone in the chat gives me - I did so for both the Federal and Regional elections in this most recent election. I believe Adam Griffin personally told me to vote for him, and I think it was Talleyrand who told me how to vote in the Northeast but I'm not entirely certain on that because several other were saying the same thing as Talleyrand at the same time.
With all due respect, counselor, you must admit that this is a troubling explanation of your actions. How can we be sure that you would not be similarly swayed by, in your own words, "the first good suggestion someone gives [you]" when interpreting Atlasian law?

I'd suggest you look into Bacon King's extremely long, deep and distinguished record in Atlasian law rather than attempting to smear him in such a shameless manner.

His record of spotty activity and questionable decisions? I already have plenty of reservations about confirming Bacon King based on his past actions in Atlasia; Senator Truman raises an excellent point that you clumsily attempt to dismiss.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 06:12:47 PM »

No, to be perfectly honest with you it was not an informed decision in the slightest. Smiley
How can we expect you to make an informed decision on court cases when you can't make an informed decision in the voting booth?
For several years now, whenever I am faced with a ballot where I have no strong opinion on how to vote (which, to be clear, is a rare occurrence), I'll log in to IRC and take the first good suggestion someone in the chat gives me - I did so for both the Federal and Regional elections in this most recent election. I believe Adam Griffin personally told me to vote for him, and I think it was Talleyrand who told me how to vote in the Northeast but I'm not entirely certain on that because several other were saying the same thing as Talleyrand at the same time.
With all due respect, counselor, you must admit that this is a troubling explanation of your actions. How can we be sure that you would not be similarly swayed by, in your own words, "the first good suggestion someone gives [you]" when interpreting Atlasian law?

That's easy: I'm not a moron.

Asking for input from others on how to vote is a normal thing that people do, especially when they're ill-informed.

As a Justice I will be required to lengthily describe my own beliefs in my decisions and legal opinions. It is a baseless and slanderous smear against me to suggest it's literally even possible to perform as a member of the Judiciary in the vacillating fashion you suggest. I have an entire decade of a record that proves I am principled, knowledgeable, and independently minded; you two are both very intelligent people so I'm sure you already know this.

I care deeply about the law and I will apply my full wisdom. Intelligence, and morals to every single decision I make. If I wasn't capable of doing that, I would not be campaigning so hard to confirm my nomination when there is quite obviously a group of people so dedicated to stopping me that they spread rumors and lies behind my back.

If I wasn't going to take this job seriously I wouldn't be here right now, and I would not have typed literally 1,500 words in a single post - which apparently everyone stopped reading after the first paragraph.

You are willing to abdicate your own judgment to persons of questionable character for a "boring" election. One must wonder how far you trust these persons (who you have collaborated with for other questionable decisions in the past). One must also wonder that if you hold "boring" elections in such contempt, how do you feel about "boring" court cases?

Besides, accusing Senators of smears and lies when we are the ones who will decide whether to confirm you is itself a poor decision. We want to select someone well-suited to the Court, and we have questions about your nomination based on your past record. Being combative does not help you.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 09:50:49 PM »

While Bacon King is a fine fellow with strong qualifications, there are nevertheless legitimate concerns over Bacon King's record on this forum that I have touched on, along with Senators Truman and Yankee and Governor tmth. My colleagues are free to argue in favor of Bacon King's confirmation, but it is not productive to pretend that those concerns are not legitimate.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »

I would rather take views from associates on the front line than take marching orders from party bosses sitting in smoke filled rooms in the murky underworld of the Atlasian establishment.

That is fine, but then the character of those associates becomes a fair question. When you are taking views from persons of ill repute, it reflects poorly on yourself. Especially when, as Senator Cris posited, you are not even soliciting an informed opinion from them, but just looking for another form of "marching orders".
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 01:36:41 PM »

It's insane how we are supposed to act as if his qualifications were the only issue at point. Al was very highly qualified to be Attorney General, and committed egregious acts of treason while in office before resigning in disgrace. Maybe the Senate should have considered other factors, as some of its members requested be done.

Bacon King is a good person and highly qualified, but as we repeatedly raised he has a history of showing questionable judgment and getting involved with troll movements. By his own admission, he was seeking counsel from parties who are known to be seeking the demise of Atlasia.

We had good reason to fear that he would be favorable to these people. Considering the circumstances of his nomination (not that end-of-term nominations are necessarily wrong), these were not fears that could be assuaged, despite the nominee's best efforts to do so.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 12:40:28 PM »

Bacon King would have stood a chance if it had just been him fielding our questions. When you get the cadre of troublemakers feebly trying to shout down all questions posed to the nominee and verbally abusing Senators for doing their job, problems arise.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »

Bacon King would have stood a chance if it had just been him fielding our questions. When you get the cadre of troublemakers feebly trying to shout down all questions posed to the nominee and verbally abusing Senators for doing their job, problems arise.

So now you blame Atlasians for preventing you, members of the Senate, from properly carrying out your constitutional duties and responsibilities.

Are the members of this Senate really that paranoid?

We carried out our duties and responsibilities just fine. Nowhere does it say that we have to rubber stamp a nominee because of qualifications (the idea that that alone is a sufficient condition to confirm a nominee is patently absurd), or that we can't engage in hardball questioning. If you want to point fingers, point it at those who refused to ask the nominee any questions.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies