Confirmation of Bacon King as Justice (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:03:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation of Bacon King as Justice (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation of Bacon King as Justice (Debating)  (Read 4488 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: November 04, 2015, 05:27:35 PM »

For several years now, whenever I am faced with a ballot where I have no strong opinion on how to vote (which, to be clear, is a rare occurrence), I'll log in to IRC and take the first good suggestion someone in the chat gives me - I did so for both the Federal and Regional elections in this most recent election. I believe Adam Griffin personally told me to vote for him, and I think it was Talleyrand who told me how to vote in the Northeast but I'm not entirely certain on that because several other were saying the same thing as Talleyrand at the same time.
With all due respect, counselor, you must admit that this is a troubling explanation of your actions. How can we be sure that you would not be similarly swayed by, in your own words, "the first good suggestion someone gives [you]" when interpreting Atlasian law?

I'd suggest you look into Bacon King's extremely long, deep and distinguished record in Atlasian law rather than attempting to smear him in such a shameless manner.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 06:39:10 PM »

There's also the obvious fact that we're clearly going to do away with life terms in the ConCon so cool your jets, folks.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 09:35:31 AM »

Senate logic:

1. Bacon King voted based on the advice of someone, i.e. how a good 80-90% of the Atlasian population vote when they received their marching order via PM.

2. This disqualifies him from being a Supreme Court Justice despite his literal years of Atlasian legal work and impeccable qualifications.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 11:04:33 AM »

Hear, hear Winfield!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 04:07:44 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2015, 04:10:25 PM by Sen. Oakvale »

My dear comrades,

I've known BK for more than six years. I've had the privilege to work with him closely as a law partner, a political ally, and indeed as a counsel when I was on the Supreme Court.

He is, and I do not say this lightly, the single possible most qualified candidate to replace me on that hallowed body. The only plausible contenders I could think of who could possibly attempt to match Bacon King's legal knowledge, breadth of expertise and intellect are the late Chief Justice, Sam Spade, and the dearly departed Junkie, who most of you unfortunately won't remember.

I'll lay my cards on the table - I don't agree with the nominee on everything. I have deep reservations about his positions on some issues, which doubtless clash with my rather conservative approach while on the bench, and I strongly disagree with his interpretation of freedom for the Northeast as unconstitutional. But I know that he is an impeccably qualified candidate - the only qualified candidate for the job.

The arguments against Bacon King's nomination have been facile, intellectually dishonest and fundamentally political. Squabbling over who should have nominated him is a silly distraction. Who cares? When a Justice resigns as I did, the President nominates a replacement.

I did not hear any protests when outgoing President Tmth, in the dying days of his second term and long after his successor had been elected, nominated me for the Supreme Court way back in 2011. That nomination was also made in the shadow of scandal and talk of impeachment. But no one argued that the President did not have the constitutional right - the duty to appoint a Justice.

Some of you make the nonsensical and, frankly, downright offensive suggestion that because Bacon King voted based on the advice of his friends - in other words, how literally the vast majority of the Atlasian electorate vote, he would somehow rely on casual advice for how to rule on the Court.

This might be a concern for a political crony or intellectual empty suit. Bacon King is neither, and to imply otherwise irritates me not just as Bacon King's friend but as someone who's worked at the forefront of Atlasian law for most of my career. And that's not to mention the absurdity of the charge - have you ever seen a Supreme Court ruling? One of mine, I think in Roe v. Attorney General ZuWo, ran well into over four thousand words. They are dense, complex legal documents. The idea that Bacon King, or any Justice, could drop into IRC or PM, ask "guys do you think corporate taxation on a regional level may be unconstitutional as per the precedent set in Junkie v. Atlasia (2010) is laughable, and I think, deep down, you know it.

The nominee is the most qualified candidate for the Supreme Court in a decade. If the Senate rejects Bacon King, instead opting for some party crony or lightweight country lawyer, it will be the nail in the coffin of the credibility of this once esteemed chamber.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 08:36:35 AM »

Wonderful work as always, fellas!

PS: Thanks Poirot, you are always useful when one wants to know the blisteringly hot take of an underinformed dullard.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »

Thanks, simfan. I'm trying not to fail anyone. Purple heart

What I don't get is why everyone is acting like BK was rejected. Regardless of how people assume the vote would go, BK withdrew from consideration. No vote was held. Therefore holding the senate at fault for failing to confirm him isn't fair. God knows how that vote would have gone.

Duke, come on, we know exactly how it would have went.

Aye: Me, Talleyrand, Maxwell, Barnes

Nay: PiT, Truman, JoMCAR, Cris, Lumine, NC Yankee (Reluctant)

BK withdrew his nomination because it was apparent he had no chance in face of this solid wall of political resistance.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies