John McCain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:09:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  John McCain
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John McCain  (Read 5070 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2005, 09:57:02 PM »

so what was with him in this election?  Both George W. Bush and John Kerry were gushing about how much McCain loved them and supported them.  Why was he such a big deal?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 07:07:36 PM »

Because even Liberals love John McCain.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 07:20:06 PM »

I personally disagree - it's more because Independents and those who consider themselves "off the beaten path" in politics (which a lot of people want to consider themselves even though they're not) love McCain.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 08:08:40 PM »

Because for some reason liberals feel like they must  compromise and hail praises on at least one Republican.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 08:11:17 PM »

Yeah, I don't love him, but I respect him, mainly because of campaign finance reform- he's independent and will stand up to the "bought and paid for" status quo in DC.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 09:40:48 PM »

Wrong!

McCain is owned by the liberal media.

He's a whore for them.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 03:30:45 PM »

Well, apparently the people of Arizona disagree with you. McCain did win among liberals 59-39, but he won among moderates 78-21 and conservatives 86-10.

There was only one group in the entire state that voted for his opponent, in fact: the 7% of Arizonans who characterized the state economy as "poor" went for Demcocratic challenger Starky 52-47.

(Other than the most obvious group, the 5% who said that McCain's support of Bush made them less likely to vote for him, who went Starky 64-31.)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2005, 07:35:22 AM »

Wrong again Alcon.

Just because they voted for the SOB does NOT mean they love him.

His opponent was a wingnut, and most voters decided to keep McCain solely to keep the Senate in Republican hands.

Dick was fundamentally correct in that liberals love McCain whereas conservatives loathe the SOB.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 09:27:35 AM »

Wrong again Alcon.

His opponent was a wingnut, and most voters decided to keep McCain solely to keep the Senate in Republican hands.

Dick was fundamentally correct in that liberals love McCain whereas conservatives loathe the SOB.

If conservatives loathe McCain then he's got Buckey's chance of winning the GOP nomination should he seek it; and speaking, as a Democrat, that won't be such a bad thing

Dave
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 10:03:07 AM »

Wingnuts loathe him. Most mainstream Republicans like him. Others distrust him. He's probably seen as too illoyal by many. Most moderate Republicans like him, obviously. I don't know if he's loved by anybody...certainly not "liberals" (US sense).
I agree he's probably not got a chance for the nomination anymore, unless the field is very divided (he'd have an instant name recognition advantage in that case).
You're right of course in that him winning a landslide against a left-wing Dem sacrificial lamb does not prove he's well liked.
I know there was talk of a primary challenge against him. Out of state far-right groups were trying to get Rep. Jeff Flake to run against him, but unlike with Specter, they didn't succeed.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 10:38:17 AM »

Wrong again Alcon.

Then why did they not vote for the Libertarian in above-average numbers? They knew he'd win in a landslide.

I recall seeing several surveys putting McCain's approval between 65% and 75%. Are you telling me this is without conservatives' support?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 11:25:10 PM »

There are surveys, and surveys.

The more you get to know McCain, the more you get to loathe the SOB.

One of the polls which won't get published looks at the length of time someone has lived in Arizona with regard to their opinion of McCain.

Those who have lived in Arizona for thirty years or longer are his biggest detractors, whereas those who have just moved her (fleeing from California) seem to think he's pretty good because he calls himself a Republican.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 11:29:00 PM »

There are surveys, and surveys.

The more you get to know McCain, the more you get to loathe the SOB.

One of the polls which won't get published looks at the length of time someone has lived in Arizona with regard to their opinion of McCain.

Those who have lived in Arizona for thirty years or longer are his biggest detractors, whereas those who have just moved her (fleeing from California) seem to think he's pretty good because he calls himself a Republican.

I see. Is there a lot of supporting and approving of McCain just because he is the best option? As in, do people who don't really approve of McCain say they do just for loyalty's sake? That would explain his high polling numbers if he is actually rather hated, I suppose.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 11:40:57 PM »

There are several factors associated with polls on McCain.

First, is the more you know about him, (presuming you are ethical) the more you loate him.  Too many people have bought into the hokum perpetrated by the liberal media about McCain. 

Second, compared to what?  Compared to Pol Pot, McCain looks (retch) halfway decent.  However, compared to Bush,  he shows up as a slimeball.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 01:36:44 AM »

There are several factors associated with polls on McCain.

First, is the more you know about him, (presuming you are ethical) the more you loate him.  Too many people have bought into the hokum perpetrated by the liberal media about McCain. 

Second, compared to what?  Compared to Pol Pot, McCain looks (retch) halfway decent.  However, compared to Bush,  he shows up as a slimeball.

Well, then I'm afraid I don't understand why Bush's approval rating is about twenty points lower than McCain's?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2005, 08:28:46 AM »
« Edited: May 22, 2005, 08:30:45 AM by CARLHAYDEN »

Among Republicans?

Please cite me the survey which says McCain is more popular among Republicans than Bush.

Liberals however love McCain because they see him as someone who can be relied upon to support their causes in the clinch.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2005, 05:01:08 PM »

Among Republicans?

Please cite me the survey which says McCain is more popular among Republicans than Bush.

Liberals however love McCain because they see him as someone who can be relied upon to support their causes in the clinch.

I do not think the survey broke it down by party, but I can't imagine that with a 75% approval rating he'd be lower than Bush, with a 51% or so approval rating. Then again, you never know.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies