What's your vote on this fantasy election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:39:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What's your vote on this fantasy election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Your vote/likely victor
Barnes (D)/Barnes (D)

Barnes (D)/Martin (R)

Martin (R)/Martin (R)

Martin (R)/Barnes (D)

Joaquin (I)/Barnes (D)

Joaquin (I)/Martin (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: What's your vote on this fantasy election?  (Read 707 times)
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2015, 01:57:18 AM »

Here are the nominees:

Amanda Barnes: The very popular democratic governor of Ohio who successfully restored the prestige of the Ohio Democratic party. A bit of a "moderate hero" as atlas likes to say, her least centrist stance is her plan to make Marijuana legalized nationwide for any purpose. Her campaign is filled with rhetoric about restoring the middle class.

One issue she's flipped flopped is health: while Gov. of Ohio she endorsed a statewide issue that would have restricted the sale of junk food to kids and required labeling of unhealthy foods, to help reduce obesity and make life that much easier for individuals like herself struggling with weight loss. She changed her mind after the issue failed, calling it "poorly worded".

As a result of a competitive primary, she is likely to underpreform somewhat in both coastal regions. However, she is popular among inland democrats to the point that NE-02 is Lean D.

Her running mate is a mixed race congressman from south Florida, Christopher Chavez. He's half Afro-Carribean and half Cuban. Most expected her to pick the more well-known senator from Missouri, Mark Ellison, who has been promised a cabinet position and remains a staunch supporter and important surrogate.

PM Score: E -2.84, S -1.22

Leopold Martin: Conservative Republican senator from Virginia. Not the most gifted campaigner, he's trying to cast himself as the more intelligent and principled candidate. One major handicap he has is his unmarried status, which hurts his standing with what otherwise would be his strongest base of supporters: religious voters. His views of some social issues are further right than the mainstream; he's already pissed off some Nevada voters by promising to enact federal laws against prostitution that will shut down the local industry. He's savvy enough to realize that moderates will be more attracted to his economic platform and one thing he excels at on the campaign trail is nitpicking his opponent's economic proposals down to the smallest details.

His running mate is a wealthy New England Republican, James R.G. Richardson (R-MA), with good enough debating skills to be more than a match for his opponent in the VP debate.

PM Score: E 3.23, S 7.13

Kate Joaquin: Independant from Tennessee, she campaigns like Trump with a socially leftist platform. After a major poll collapse in the spring when she made brutal personal attacks on her opponents, calling Gov. Barnes a "landwhale" and Sen. Martin "ugly", neither of her opponents want to debate her despite her apology. Gov. Barnes politely refused and Sen. Martin angrily refused. Naturally her campaign has attacked them for refusing to debate her and her "revolutionary" ideas. Her running mate is a socialite from Hollywood with modest experience in governing, at least more competent than Palin but doesn't stack up to the major party running mates.

Despite the downfall of her campaign from credible threat to, well, not credible threat, Joaquin retains some support from her unlikely collation of college campus leftists who think Gov. Barnes is too moderate on many equality related social issues and politically incorrect moderate conservatives who like her campaign style and don't like Sen. Martin's social conservatism. However the prevailing consensus from mainstream media pundits is that her remaining supporters are mostly political bystanders. It remains to be seen what impact her supporters would have on the election.

PM: E -0.39, S -6.61
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 09:30:23 PM »

I would vote for Martin, and I think Barnes would win.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 09:37:06 PM »

S 7.13 is really crazy. Would be very hard for me. If Martin manages to successfully frame the debate along economic lines, I might pick him. However, if he plans to seriously change the status-quo in regard to social issues other than abortion, I'd vote for Barnes, especially since she doesn't seem too leftist on the economy to me. It's a shame I don't know what they would do in regard to foreign policy, which is very important to me.

Voted Martin/Barnes, but could be Barnes/Barnes if Martin isn't successful in focusing on the economy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:41:08 PM »

Barnes doesn't make sense. How can she have the support of the agricultural Mid-West if she is against junk food? I doubt voters would very much enjoy the damage to the corn industry that this would entail.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 10:32:30 PM »

I would vote for Martin, and I think Barnes would win.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 11:01:48 PM »

Barnes. No idea who'd win.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 12:05:09 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2015, 12:07:40 AM by bagelman »

S 7.13 is really crazy. Would be very hard for me. If Martin manages to successfully frame the debate along economic lines, I might pick him. However, if he plans to seriously change the status-quo in regard to social issues other than abortion, I'd vote for Barnes, especially since she doesn't seem too leftist on the economy to me. It's a shame I don't know what they would do in regard to foreign policy, which is very important to me.

Voted Martin/Barnes, but could be Barnes/Barnes if Martin isn't successful in focusing on the economy.

May have something to do with the fact that I took the PM test myself, roleplaying the characters, to get results for the candidates.

He has remarked that he wants to "restore Christian values" in regards to prostitution, abortion, and sex related issues. He also opposes Barnes' "dangerous" plan to legalize Marijuana nationwide.

On foreign policy, Martin wasn't the best candidate in the GOP primary, leaving voters who share your values on that front disappointed. He's not a Paulite on this front, he just doesn't have a strong background, he'd likely appoint more experienced Republican figures to his cabinet members to advise him on world affairs. On the campaign trail Martin has summed up his foreign policy as "Support our allies, not our enemies".

Barnes supports a two state solution for Israel-Palestine and wants the USA to increase foreign aid to fight world hunger. She supports the values of co-operation and negotiation to avoid conflict.

Barnes doesn't make sense. How can she have the support of the agricultural Mid-West if she is against junk food? I doubt voters would very much enjoy the damage to the corn industry that this would entail.

You found a plothole. I'll try to patch it up by saying that her plan against world hunger involves growing and exporting large amounts of food. Her personality and folksy charm, public forgetfulness and general obscurity of Issue 9 (failed by 72%), and the fact that the ad that originally exposed this had her oinking like a pig making it easy for the TV viewing public to disregard as typical mean spirited mudslinging by one of her no-chance primary opponents, all played a role.

Something I'm curious about: Barnes is very overweight, she would be the second heaviest president if elected, easily outweighing Cleveland. Would this affect her electoral chances?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 12:28:20 AM »

I'd obviously vote Martin and heck, if I were running, I might be Martin.

I originally voted Martin/Barnes, but upon further review I think Martin might actually win. An overweight anti-junk food crusader would come across awfully. Well, maybe if she flip-flops on it that would fix things some. But either way it would end up coming across as very grating and if Martin is good at talking and debating he'd eat her alive even if her policies are more electable.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 12:44:12 AM »

pssst
"campus leftists" and sjws aren't gonna be supporting someone who calls people landwhales.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 01:23:26 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2015, 01:27:07 AM by bagelman »

pssst
"campus leftists" and sjws aren't gonna be supporting someone who calls people landwhales.

She lost a lot of support when she used that remark, a large portion of her former core supporters (along with the SJW community in general, those openly calling themselves SJWs weren't her biggest supporters even before the incident) now blog about how she's a crude fat-shaming disappointment. Even I, a moderate, would have been very offended. She's retained supporters by apologizing up and down for the remark, including immediately afterwards in the speech, and her current supporters consider it an isolated and unfortunate incident and proof that she is "imperfect like all of us".

I'd obviously vote Martin and heck, if I were running, I might be Martin.

I originally voted Martin/Barnes, but upon further review I think Martin might actually win. An overweight anti-junk food crusader would come across awfully. Well, maybe if she flip-flops on it that would fix things some. But either way it would end up coming across as very grating and if Martin is good at talking and debating he'd eat her alive even if her policies are more electable.

Barnes' repudiation of the proposal was more public than her endorsement of it, included her apologizing for being "misguided" and supporting it. Most don't see it for the flip flop that it was, unless you happen to closely follow Ohio state politics.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 02:50:18 AM »

Easily Barnes/Barnes.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 07:46:35 AM »

Reluctant Joaquin/easily Barnes.

I do have my doubts of a politically incorrect candidate appealing to SJWs. It seems more likely a politically incorrect person would be more socially libertarian than socially liberal, although maybe I'm forecasting it wrong. And, yeah, the foreign policy views would've been important, too. So would the year.

(Ooh, and I'm glad to see "Leopold" has returned to style in this fantasy-land! FF name, underrated.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies