Understanding Islam, and reading the Qur'an chapter-by-chapter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:32:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Understanding Islam, and reading the Qur'an chapter-by-chapter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Understanding Islam, and reading the Qur'an chapter-by-chapter  (Read 8693 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2015, 11:55:33 PM »

Now seems like a good time to have a discussion focused on Islam.

I hope this thread to be a place of understanding, to dispel myths, and not a place that tolerates ignorance or outright bigotry. There should be discussion, it's of course fine to disagree with an Islamic belief, but there should be no hateful Islam-bashing and especially no attacks towards Muslim people, who are just as human and diverse as any other group of people. It shouldn't have to be said, but considering how some larger national discussions are going right now, it needs to be said. We also have to make some generalizations in this thread, for sake of discussion, but I also recognize that each generalization will never be true for everyone. For example, not all Christians believe Jesus literally came back to life, but I would still generalize Christians to believe Jesus was resurrected. The importance is that we always remain respectful, even if we disagree.

I had a years-long conversation on religion through private messages with a friend who is Muslim and spent some time living with family in Egypt. I've also taken college classes on religious studies, two including Islam, and have done a lot of independent research.

But I am still a novice and learning a lot, which is why I bought a copy of the Qur'an about 2 years ago. I haven't really had time to read it yet. So I'm thinking about reading it Sura (chapter) by Sura, and posting about it here. Similar to a thread on the Bible a few years back, so we can all learn more and discuss it together.

To begin, some theologians have said there are 6 core beliefs in Islam, which are different from the 5 pillars, which I'll cover later. Briefly, these 6 core beliefs are:

1. There is One God
 2. Angels communicate the will of God
 3. Prophets communicate the will of God
 4. Holy Books communicate the will of God
 5. God will judge each person and determine their afterlife based on the person's choices
 6. God's will is supreme, so what God decides or plans will happen with certainty

The prophets include Mohammed, but also the major figures of Judaism and Christianity, including Abraham, Moses, and Jesus.

In fact, in Islam, Jesus is still considered the Messiah, and will return to Earth to overcome evil for all time. They even believe he was born by virgin birth, like most Christians. The difference is Muslims believe Jesus is all these things without being divine himself, that he isn't the son of God more than any other human or major prophet.

As for Holy Books, the Qur'an is one and said to be uncorrupted, but the Bible is included too. More on this in a bit. But the point is teachings like the 5 Pillars aren't supposed to take the place of the 10 commandments, just reinforce or strengthen them and other older teachings.

As for angels, the Angel Gabriel that is said to have appeared to Mary to announce Jesus is also said to be the same angel to convert Mohammed. Muslims don't believe Islam started with Mohammed, even if he came up with the name, they believe he is merely the final prophet and that the messages of others before him were simply forgotten or distorted, although a lot of it is reinforced from the Judeo-Christian tradition too.

The 5 Pillars of Islam:

1. the recital of its declaration of faith, of which there are some variants: "There is no god but God, and Mohammed is his prophet."
 2. the five daily prayers, while facing toward the Kaaba in Mecca
 3. the giving of charity back to the community, by what a person is able (if a person is very poor, simple acts of kindness could also qualify, but the purpose is to decrease economic inequality and encourage giving back to their community)
 4. fasting for those who are able, such as during the month of Ramadan, or as part of repentance, in order to become closer to God, be forgiven, and remember the needy
 5. a pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in a person's lifetime, during a specific month in their calendar, if one is able, and participating in its rituals

As I said earlier, these aren't meant to replace the 10 Commandments, but reinforce or add to them, and create a closer community and culture through ritual to better become one people under God.

Here are two maps, showing the concentration of Muslims in each country and the splits between different sects:

Interesting facts:

Which country has the largest total number of Muslims in the world?

India

(and Indonesia is the largest Muslim-majority nation)

Here is the first part of a very good PBS documentary (made pre-9/11/01) on Islam and its history, starting at the beginning:
https://youtu.be/yX3UHNhQ1Zk

I hope this, plus recent events, is enough to get us started. Please feel free to add your own (respectful) comments and questions and topics. I especially welcome any Muslims who post here to contribute, and correct anything I may misinterpret. I will probably elaborate a little more on the introduction to Islam, then begin my reading of the Qur'an.
Small L
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 01:14:37 PM »

I think I'll do this with you. I have a copy of the Qur'an that has been sitting unread on my shelf for a while.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 06:17:21 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2015, 06:21:34 PM by No Trump No Way. Enough is Enough. »

I did a thread on Sufism two months ago. Although Islam doesn't really appeal to me, Sufism is interesting. Nanak(born 1469), the founder of Sikhism was disturbed by the conflict between Hindus and Muslims and sought to make peace between them. Of course, Sikhism is different from both religions, but (unfortunately, I think), some people think that Sikhism is a union of the two faiths. Sikhism is very different from Hinduism, but has some similar ideas. I think of Sikhism as a cousin to Buddhism, although the former is theistic and the latter nontheistic.

Anyway, as far as the Koran goes, I did read the first chapter, which is very long. I never got beyond that. It was similar to the Old Testament in some ways. It was last winter that I read it
so I don't remember a lot of details. Although there are similarities to Islam, Judaism, and Christianity there are big differences as well. Muslims totally reject the Trinity, which, for some Christians is very important. Obviously the differences between sects is a big problem in Islam; Muslims in the US and perhaps some European countries (I don't know about France) are more moderate than your typical Muslims. The difference between the two major divisions, Sunnis and Shias is, of course, a source of violence in some Muslim countries. (like Iraq), this was true of Christianity in the past, but even some Christians consider other Christians as heretics even if they are not actually at war with them. The Mahayana and Theravada Buddhists have differences as well, but they have not generally gone to war with each other. But there are exceptions to this. Certainly, while Buddhism is often thought of as a peace religion, this is not always the case, but I think historically Buddhists have been more peaceful than Christians or Muslims. All generalizations, of course. With all their differences Christians and Muslims have much more in common with each other theologically speaking, than they do with Eastern religions. I tend to see Quakers having more in common with Buddhists, at least as far as being a peace religion, than with other religions. Theologically Quakers haven't accepted Reformed Christian ideas, at least historically. Christianity has evolved and doesn't embrace the theology of it's past.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 06:27:17 PM »

Most people don't talk about the Muslim network Al Jazeera which has been very controversial, not surprisingly. They did an interview with Lawrence Lessig. There is also going to be an interview with the founder of wiki.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 06:32:38 PM »

The last ten minutes of the second part of the youtube video talks about Islams contributions to science, the Renaissance, and the idea that reason and faith should be separated.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 06:47:32 PM »

Reading the Koran from Sura 1 onwards is really not the way it was designed to be read. You'll get very frustrated very quickly.

For those who don't know, it's ordered longest to shortest, barring Sura 1, which is a short introductory one. For example, my Koran has Sura 2 at 36 pages, while, for example, Sura 108 (out of 114) reads:

1. In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. I Surely We have given thee abundance of good.

2 So pray to thy Lord and sacrifice.

3 Surely thy enemy is cut off (from good).

In its entirety. It's best to look up a roughly chronological ordering of the Suras rather than just starting from 1 and moving onwards. For example, 2 is a rather late one and would naturally fit in better towards the end. This is also important because the later Suras take precedence over the earlier ones and going by the number wouldn't give you a good sense of that. Muhammad's views on things were rather more elaborate and nuanced later on in his career, especially after he got to Medina.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 09:07:15 PM »

Reading the Koran from Sura 1 onwards is really not the way it was designed to be read. You'll get very frustrated very quickly.

For those who don't know, it's ordered longest to shortest, barring Sura 1, which is a short introductory one. For example, my Koran has Sura 2 at 36 pages, while, for example, Sura 108 (out of 114) reads:

1. In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful. I Surely We have given thee abundance of good.

2 So pray to thy Lord and sacrifice.

3 Surely thy enemy is cut off (from good).

In its entirety. It's best to look up a roughly chronological ordering of the Suras rather than just starting from 1 and moving onwards. For example, 2 is a rather late one and would naturally fit in better towards the end. This is also important because the later Suras take precedence over the earlier ones and going by the number wouldn't give you a good sense of that. Muhammad's views on things were rather more elaborate and nuanced later on in his career, especially after he got to Medina.
I know, but my Muslim friend suggested I go in order.

And this way, it will feel like going downhill Cheesy

My translation also has commentary to put each one in context.
Small L
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 09:56:29 PM »

So far I've only read Sura 1 (my translation says it's an important part of Islamic worship, which is cool). Although I haven't been completely lazy! I did read the 30+ page introduction from the translator.

Which translation are you using, Blue? I have the one by M.A.S. Abdel Haleem. It seems pretty good so far. He adds a brief introduction before each sura and there are footnotes as well.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 10:07:22 PM »

Sura 2 is also the one where Muhammad implies that apes are the descendants of Sabbath-breaking Jews, so...it tends to be a bit off-putting when it's one of the first things you read.

(Muhammad was rather pissed at the Jews by the end of his career due to the Jews of Medina allying with the pagans of Mecca against him)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 04:53:05 AM »

Sort of like Luther then.  Luther started off as a fairly mellow fellow who just wanted a few reforms but by the end of his career he's extremely strident.  If you read some of his later works, they'll be filled more with polemics against Papists, Jews, Turks, et cetera than with actual theology.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 01:56:18 PM »

"The religion of Love is different from all religions
For lovers, religion and denomination is God alone"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumi,_Jal%C4%81l_ad-D%C4%ABn_Mu%E1%B8%A5ammad#Universality

"In that faith, Muslims and pagans are one."

comments?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 02:07:29 PM »

By the way, not all Muslim nations are theocratic. Turkey is one example. It is not a theocracy. It is a secular state with no official religion. Yet 96.5% of the nation is Muslim.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 02:09:29 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2015, 02:11:45 PM by No Trump No Way. Enough is Enough. »

By the way, not all Muslim nations are theocratic. Turkey is one example. It is not a theocracy. It is a secular state with no official religion. Yet 96.5% of the nation is Muslim.
90% of Muslims in Turkey are Sunnis.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 02:27:37 PM »

I wonder how many people know how to translate the word "Allah"?
I think that a lot of people don't know about this. Maybe not people here, but people in general. It is important to know this possibly before knowing anything else about Islam.
Small L
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 04:57:17 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2015, 05:01:14 PM by Small L »

I wonder how many people know how to translate the word "Allah"?
I think that a lot of people don't know about this. Maybe not people here, but people in general. It is important to know this possibly before knowing anything else about Islam.
Isn't Allah just the Arabic word for God? I do know that a god called Allah was worshipped by the polytheists of Muhammad's time as a head of the pantheon type figure. I also know Christians were using the word for God before Muhammad was born.

I'm still reading the first sura, and I noticed that 2:83-86 appears to be a condemnation of Jewish infighting. Pretty interesting.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »

correct. So when a Muslim says there is no God but Allah, they are really saying there is no god but God. Allah and Jehovah are both God, in a sense the same God. They are only different gods because people create God in their own image. So every Muslim and every Christian has a different "image" of God in their mind. It is the figurative chicken and egg, did "god" create humans in "his" image or have humans created "god" in their own limited image of what god would be if god existed? There's the conundrum.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 11:28:45 PM »

So far I've only read Sura 1 (my translation says it's an important part of Islamic worship, which is cool). Although I haven't been completely lazy! I did read the 30+ page introduction from the translator.

Which translation are you using, Blue? I have the one by M.A.S. Abdel Haleem. It seems pretty good so far. He adds a brief introduction before each sura and there are footnotes as well.
I have the same translation, was planning on posting my thoughts for the introduction, Sura 1, and Sura 2, all together. Give it some time to sink in.

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 07:18:24 PM »

A few years ago, some exchange students from Saudi Arabia ate baked beans without knowing that it contained pork until another student ran up and told them. I asked my Alawite friend what Islam has to say in this kind of situation, and she said that actions in Islam are judged on intention.

So if they did not knowingly eat pork, it's no big deal and they are not held accountable. This also applies to a wide range of other actions and deeds, for example accidents resulting from good intentions, to deal with unforseen consequences. She said it's not explicitly laid out in scripture, but still a widespread teaching.

I have no idea if Christianity has a similar thing, but I would think it is implied.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 11:35:31 PM »

The Life of Mohammed, Pre-Prophethood (Birth in ~570 until 610)

Mohammed was born around 570 AD in Mecca, long after Christianity had been established. The Western Roman Empire had already basically collapsed. The Eastern Roman Empire and the Persian Empire were the major powers of the day... but deserts of Arabia, where Mohammed was born, was beyond their reach. Arabian culture at this time embraced polytheism and machoism, which encouraged a lot of fighting between the tribes (all of which Mohammed would later reject). Family and tribal ties meant a lot in society. The one place where the tribes did not fight was Mecca, a place of neutrality where people could trade freely.

In a society that immensely valued family/tribal ties, Mohammed was an orphan. His father Abdullah died when Mohammed was an infant. His mother Amina died when he was 6 years old. His paternal grandfather Abdul then adopted him, but he too died when Mohammed was 8 years old. Mohammed then lived with his paternal uncle Abu Talib, and accompanied his uncle on several trade missions from Mecca to the Syria/Palestine area. It is also said that he spent some time living among the Bedouins in the desert.

At the age of 25, he had become a successful merchant, helping in the trade between the Mediterranean Sea and the Indian Ocean, and had earned a good reputation as someone very fair and wise in his dealings. At this time, a wealthy 40-year-old widow named Khadija proposed marriage to him, and Mohammed accepted. It is said that he learned much from her, and that they had a happy marriage.

At the age of 35, there was a dispute because the Black Stone of the Kaaba had been moved from its place (in Mecca). This was the main attraction of Mecca, holy to polytheists as well as neighboring Jews and Christians (who thought it was built by Abraham). Tribal leaders were arguing over who should have the honor of returning the black stone to its place. The elders asked him what they should do. He suggested the Black Stone be put on a cloth, and the tribal leaders share the burden and honor by each holding the cloth from one corner, which worked well.

Mohammed began retreating to a cave outside Mecca to reflect.

The cave of Hira:

The Life of Mohammed, Prophethood and Beginnings (610 until 622)

It wasn't until the year 610 AD, at the age of 40, that Mohammed, praying the Cave of Hira in one of the mountains outside Mecca, believed he was visited by the angel Gabriel. This began the Qur'an, which is known as Mohammed's miracle. He confided in Khadijah and her Christian cousin.

The main themes of the Qur'an became those core beliefs that I mentioned in the first post. Above all, believing in One God would be transformational for Arab society at the time because One God means there should only be One People. That the tribes should be in harmony, with allegiance to God above all else, and that serving God should "color" all thoughts, words, actions, and silence. It also meant that Orphans, Women, and the other outsiders in Arab society at the time should be treated with equal respect.

Khadija became the first "convert," and encouraged and supported him. Other close friends and relatives soon followed, then many who were viewed as "outsiders" in society. Others, of course, ridiculed and then harassed Mohammed and his followers. Mohammed had not been known as a literate or poetic man before, and the beautiful words of the Qur’an now coming from him surprised everyone.

The religious and business elite of society were especially harsh critics, saying Mohammed dishonored their ancestors and their gods, and threatened business to Mecca (being the home of the Kaaba, which brought polytheistic pilgrims and lots of business with them). I can't help but see some parallels to Jesus overturning the tables of the money-changers in the Jerusalem Temple here, and then the elite Jewish priests leading to his condemnation. Mohammed's own tribe were opposed, and tried to bring him into the elite in exchange for his backing down on Islam, which Mohammed refused. His uncle Abu Talib was able to protect his personal safety, but not those of his followers, the first to call themselves Muslims.

As his followers began to be killed and tortured, the Christian King of Ethiopia offered a safe refuge. Many Muslims left for Ethiopia at the time, to escape persecution in Mecca.

In 619, when Mohammed was 49 years old, his beloved wife Khadija died at the age of 64. Mohammed's uncle Abu Talib died in the same year too, his protector. The new leader of his tribe was a fierce opponent of Mohammed. They kicked Mohammed out of his tribe, and he was no longer under any protection, and he could not find another protector.

When all hope seemed lost, the city of Yathrib, not far from Mecca, offered protection. They already had a Jewish population and were familiar with monotheism. They also needed help, and knew of Mohammed's reputation as someone who made fair deals and decisions.

Mohammed also became bethrothed to two more wives around this time (after the death of Khadija), one (Sawda) who was an old widow and who had suffered many hardships since converting and Mohammed wanted to protect her, and the other (Aisha) was the young daughter of one of his closest friends to join their families together.

The coming battle/migrations/conquests:

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 11:37:41 PM »

The Life of Mohammed, the Hijra and Death of the Prophet (622 until 632)

The mass migration of Mohammed and his followers to Yathrib was in the year 622, three years after the death of Khadija. This migration became known as the Hijra, which marks year 1 in the Islamic calendar.

Yathrib prospered with their new Muslim community, and was renamed to... Medina, the city of the Prophet.

Mohammed wanted to bring peace to the tribal divisions in Medina, and wrote a constitution... the Constitution of Medina, centuries before the Magna Carta or the U.S. Constitutiton. It created a United State between the native Tribes of Medina (including the Jewish tribes) as well as the Muslim immigrants, and had a "bill of rights" which also listed civic duties of each citizen. It specifically protected the Freedom of Religious Belief, and the exercising of that belief, as long as everyone accepted the new Mohammed/Muslim-led system of government. It said that all factions of the new society, Muslim and non-Muslim, should be present when making decisions as a state. Non-Muslims were not required to participate in any religious conflicts involving its Muslim inhabitants, but that if there's a common enemy of the nation then all should fight, which sure sounds like a separation of religion and state to me. It also specified that a Woman has rights, for the first time in Arab history. It offered methods of peaceful dispute resolution, without requiring assimilation to one religion or culture, which was very new at the time, creating a pluralistic and multicultural society. The unified community was called the "ummah," and the Jews were considered part of the ummah. The culture was still tribal, but much less so than before. Islam, unlike most others religions, rejected the idea of a priesthood class and (like the Protestants, who would come centuries later) claimed that all believers were equal in the eyes of God. Mohammed stressed that he was simply human messenger, and not divine.

This constitution kept inner harmony in Medina, except for one major incident. A Muslim woman was stripped naked by a Jewish man, which led to a chain of revenge killings, and eventually to the expulsion of the Jewish Banu Qaynuga tribe for violating the constitution (but several other Jewish tribes were not involved and remained). It was still controversial, then and now.

Tensions began to flare between Meccans (who had seized the property of the Muslim refugees when fleeing) and the Muslims of Medina who began raiding caravans to Mecca to recover their wealth. Muslims began praying in the direction of Mecca instead of Jerusalem. After one unlikely battle victory, seen as a sign from God, Mohammed began allying with Bedouin tribes and other towns. It now turned to war, and Mohammed was injured in one battle. One of the Jewish chieftains of Medina (of the Banu Nadir tribe) travelled to Mecca and incited them to take revenge against Mohammed, and Mohammed felt betrayed and then banished the Banu Nadir tribe, who then allied with Mecca to retake Medina for themselves, and brought another Jewish tribe (this one from outside Medina) into the alliance too. A siege on Medina began and failed, with the Muslims digging trenches to fight against the siege, leaving the Meccans with a loss of prestige and faltering trade. There were many widows from the war with Mecca, and Mohammed married some of them, to offer protection and consolation, and made several political marriages to quell internal dissent, and married daughters of chieftains of Jewish and Arab tribes they had fought to offer reconciliation as gestures of goodwill.

Mohammed received a dream from Gabriel, with God commanding the "hajj," which is the pilgrimage to Mecca. Mohammed and 1400 Muslims travelled to Mecca's outskirts in 628, evading an attacking cavalry from Mecca. Negotiations then began with Mecca to end the conflict, and a treaty was signed. Mohammed was now respected again in Mecca, allowed to perform his religious pilgrimage with fellow Muslims, and the Meccans began to see him as a great leader and respect him again. Mohammed began looking beyond Arabia.

After two years, in 630 AD, some clans allied with Mecca broke the treaty. Mohammed asked for either compensation for the dead, exile of those offending tribes, or declaring the treaty to be over. Mecca decided on the last option, and declared war again. Medina had grown very strong in the two years of peace, and Mecca soon regretted their choice and desired peace again. Mohammed marched on Mecca with 10,000 Muslims, with little resistance or bloodshed.

As the tribal leaders prepared for a massacre, Mohammed surprisingly declared amnesty for them. Most Meccans converted to Islam, and Mohammed had the idols of their tribal, polytheistic gods around the Kaaba destroyed, sparing only paintings of Mary and Jesus (according to some stories). After eight years, there was a lasting peace between Mecca and Medina, and Mohammed now called Mecca home again.

Other Arab tribes began to mount attacks against the now-unified state of Mecca and Medina. Mohammed's forces repelled those attacks, then began the conquest of the rest of Arabia.

In 632 AD, two years after the mostly-bloodless conquest of Mecca, ten years after the mass immigration to Yathrib/Medina, Mohammed completed the first truly Islamic hajj pilgrimage and ritual. He then gave a famous sermon nearby, at Mount Arafat, the Mountain of Mercy. At the sermon, he called for the abolition of all blood feuds, the equality of blacks and whites who shall not be judged by God by their color but by their actions and character, called for kindness to women, to give to the poor and to remember the orphans. Above all, Mohammed repeated his call for equality, for one people under one God. A few months later, Mohammed fell ill, and died in the arms of his wife Aisha. He was buried in her house at Medina. Many years later, a tomb for him was built there, along with tombs for the first caliphs and an empty tomb for Jesus.

Medina and Mohammed's tomb:

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 11:38:36 PM »

The Qur'an

"The Qur'an is the supreme authority in Islam. It is the fundamental and paramount source of the creed, rituals, ethics, and laws of the Islamic religion. This supreme status stems from the belief that the Qur'an is the word of God, revealed to the Prophet Muhammad via the archangel Gabriel, and intended for all times and all places.

The Qur'an was the starting point for all Islamic sciences, which were developed in order to study its grammar, pronunciation, and style, and it is the basis of Islamic law and theology; indeed, as the celebrated fifteenth-century scholar and author Suyuti said, 'Everything is based on the Qur'an.' The entire religious life of the Muslim world is built around the text of the Qur'an. As a consequence of the Qur'an, the Arabic language moved far beyond the Arabian peninsula, deeply penetrating many other languages within the Muslim lands--Persian, Turkish, Urdu, Indonesian, and others. The first sura (or section) of the Qur'an, al-Fatiha, which is an essential part of the ritual prayers, is learned and read in Arabic by Muslims in all parts of the world, and many other verses and phrases in Arabic are also incorporated into the lives of non-Arabic-speaking Muslims."

This marks the beginning of my book. This translation of the Qur'an is provided by M.A.S. Abdel Haleem, and is a highly respected translation, included in the Oxford World's Classics series.

Images of my Qur’an, and its table of contents:

As I’ve said before, the Qur’an has 114 chapters or sections, called suras. Sura 1 is very short, but otherwise, the Qur’an is structured in order of longest suras to shortest suras. The book is not structured in chronological order, by either content or context, or even by theme. Also, it’s verses are called ayahs.

Scholars have identified which suras are “Meccan” (pre-hijra) or “Medinan” (post-hijra), and have tried to identify the best chronological order… but it’s not meant to be read that way, so I am not going to read it that way.

The Qur’an also assumed at least a vague familiarity with the Jewish and Christian stories of the Bible. It elaborates or reflects at length on some, skips or skims over others, and offers alternative versions to some too. There will be stories about Adam and Eve, Noah, Moses, Mary, and Jesus. There are multiple references to the Torah and the Gospels. But they will not be in order. So this might be slightly confusing to those who aren’t familiar, but I think I am familiar enough.

Its nonlinear and eternal, “outside of time,” quality is said to create a powerful effect. Its repetitiveness and self-references, especially combined with its rhythmic and poetic quality (and some rhyming) in its original Arabic, are said to have made it very easy to memorize in Arabic.

The Qur’an is said to be beautifully written and spoken in its native Arabic language, so artistic and poetic in the Arabic language that it is known as Mohammed’s miracle, and Muslims are taught that the only true version of the Qur’an is the Arabic version. The translator for my book offers a commentary for each chapter, to help frame it and properly translate its meaning in Arabic. As has been mentioned, the Qur’an came to Mohammed as messages from the angel Gabriel, beginning when he was 40 years old and until his death at the age of 63. The suras of the Qur’an were first memorized and recited by his followers, but they soon began writing it down at Mohammed’s request by 29 scribes, and it was compiled into the Qur’an, with several manuscripts that were finalized into the version we know today within 20 years of Mohammed’s death at the latest. Mohammed said the angel Gabriel would tell him where each new addition of the Qur’an should be placed. Scholars have found fragments of early copies of the Qur’an dating to 671 AD with 99% certainty, which makes it much more reliable than the compilation of the Bible (from a scholarly perspective).

The Qur’an is also written as addressed to (or about) Mohammed, not from Mohammed. And like I said earlier, all the prophets of God are said to have been given the same message, just for different people at different times. The Qur’an is meant to confirm the truth from these earlier messages once and for all.

Now, on to the first sura, in the beginning…

1. The Opening

In the name of God, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy!

Praise belongs to God, Lord of the Worlds, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy, Master of the Day of Judgment.

It is You we worship; it is You we ask for help.

Guide us to the straight path: the path of those You have blessed, those who incur no anger and have not gone astray.

So, I’ve read a lot about this sura, which is often recited by Muslims, especially in Arabic. I wrote the entire section here, since it is short enough. For a Christian equivalent (though it’s not truly an equivalent), I see it as similar to the Lord’s Prayer that begins “Our Father…”

I can tell already what they meant by repetition being used a lot in the Qur’an to drill home certain points. Here, it is emphasized that, above all else, God is merciful. The importance of Mercy to Islam seems to be a core belief, especially of God’s mercy. Mercy is majestic, being merciful is not being weak but being close to God. That mercy is inherent to the nature of God and all that is good.

“Lord of the Worlds” is also interesting, since it implies that there are other worlds than our own, perhaps even other worlds with life, but that this God is the God of all. Revealing that, saying that this God is the lord of worlds (and humans only exist in one), makes it easier to see that he’s also God of all the tribes that existed in the time of Mohammed and makes the divisions between humans seem petty by describing God at this scale. The commentary also says the Arabic word for this version of Lord also connotes caring and nurturing. Not only is God the Lord of the Worlds, God is also the Nourisher of the Worlds, being both fatherly and motherly as well as beyond it all too. The commentary also adds that Worlds not only refers to physical worlds, or only to humans, but also to angels, plants, animals, the afterlife, etc.

The commentary also points out that the last verse means to be guided on a path that incurs the anger of no one… it is talking about harmony between humans, and not offending others humans, not the anger of God.

God is meant to be worshipped, and God is supposed to be leaned on for support… support to stay true to God and not stray, with a reference also made to the Day of Judgment to come.

Next sura, the second chapter, is entitled “The Cow,” and it’s nearly 30 pages. At first I was going to wait until I finished reading it, but I decided to get the ball rolling now, as well as to allow some time for everyone to dwell on the first sura because of its core importance, something that could be lost with my commentary on the second sura, which covers a lot of ground. I hope to have the second sura out by Monday if not earlier. It is a Medinan sura, meaning it was written near the end of Mohammed’s life, after he had fled persecution in Mecca and begun governing in Medina. This single sura is the longest in the Qur’an, and revealed to him over several years, named after the Cow that the Israelites were ordered to slaughter. It speaks of believers, disbelievers, and hypocrites, the tenets of faith, the grace of God and how much God values Humans, the special privilege given to the Jewish people and the importance of Children of Israel, how to pray, how to fast, what pilgrimages to make, and laws concerning marriage, military defense, and financial matters. So as I said, the next sura will cover a lot of ground.

Also, now that I think I've done all necessary introductions, expect future posts to be much shorter!

Have a happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 10:54:08 AM »

It speaks of believers, disbelievers, and hypocrites, the tenets of faith, the grace of God and how much God values Humans, the special privilege given to the Jewish people and the importance of Children of Israel, how to pray, how to fast, what pilgrimages to make, and laws concerning marriage, military defense, and financial matters.

Does "Children of Israel" also include Christians here? I know it's sometimes used as a blanket term, and Islam sometimes affords Christians protections specifically.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 12:18:04 PM »

Outline:

1. My translation of The Koran (N. J. Dawood)
2. Context: Religion in general
(specifically comparing Islam to  Judeo-Christianity)
3. The history of Islam
4. Islam today
5. Atheism and other infidels
6a. Islam and politics
6b. Al quada, Daesh (aka ISIL/ISIS)
6c. Liberal Islam vs. the literalists
6d. Sunnis, Shias, and Sufis
7. Bibliography
(The Koran, The Bible, and the adventures of the Black Girl in her Search for God by G.B. Shaw)
8. Arabic, math, science and the contributions of Islam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Girl_in_Search_of_God

The point is that I would be taking on a really big task if I tried to delve into Islam 101,
since it is a huge topic.

Comments?
Suggestions?
Questions?
Answers?
Disagrements?
Logic?
Emotion?
Feeback?
Is it worth the effort, or will I be wasting my time?

Having a logical brain, I will begin my essay at the beginning of my essay and begin with Islamic Scripture,
which (although open to debate, as all things are, or so it would appear) is considered to be "the infallible Word of God"
(Dawood's words, not mine).

Stay tuned for my observations, as I begin my essay (assuming anyone is interested).

Or would all or some of these topics, better be discussed in alternative threads?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 08:12:06 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2015, 08:14:26 PM by Blue3 »

2. The Cow

Introduction

The second sura (chapter) is, by far, the longest in the Qur'an. It also covers a lot of topics, and going back-and-forth between a few of them. As I said in the last post, it's a Medinan sura, which means it was written after the mass exodus of Muslims from Mecca to Medina, sometime in the last 10 years of Mohammed's life. At this time, Mohammed goes from a preacher to an administrator, so Medinan suras are said to usually be more concerned with the rules of how a proper Muslim society should operate.

In this, we get a summary of the core beliefs, retellings of a few stories from the Bible, and then some lengthy passages about war, marriage, and finance. It's named after the Cow that Moses tells the Israelites to sacrifice, to reaffirm their devotion to God. The sura doesn't say why the entire sura is named after it, but I have an idea. In the sura, it's retold how Moses tells the Israelites to sacrifice a cow. They then keep asking for detail after detail after detail of what type of cow they should sacrifice, down to the cow's age and yellow color and unblemished skin.

I think calling the entire sura after this short, somewhat insignificant story within it is because God knows the people want the precise details about how they should do something (like the Israelites asking all the follow-up questions about the cow), and a lot of this sura is also about clarifications on how exactly some things should be conducted...from how a person with disabilities should have witnesses and a guardian to help them handle their debt obligations... to which sexual positions are permissible for a husband to do to his wife (spoiler alert: God says He doesn't care which way you do it Tongue )

To go through it in order (I'll just be quoting some select parts of it this time)...

Beginning:
In the name of God, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy

Alif Lam Mim

This is the Scripture in which there is no doubt, containing guidance for those who are mindful of God, who believe in the unseen, keep up in prayer, and give out of what We have provided for them; those who believe in the revelation sent down to you [Mohammed], and in what we sent before you, those who have firm faith in the Hereafter.

So begins the second sura. Again, the Qur'an seeks to underline the association between God and Mercy.

The second line, which I've skimmed ahead and seen in other chapters, are the names of letters in the Arabic alphabet (the specific letters named vary by chapter). According to the footnotes, there is discussion on why these are included. One interpretation is that it was an indication to the early Muslims of Arabia that the Qur'an indeed consists of letters and words of their own language, not from Rome or Greece or Persia or Egypt. Another interpretation is that they were exclamatory, meant to wake people up and get their attention.

Believers, Disbelievers, and Hypocrites... the Garden versus the Fire

After the first section, it slides into discussion about believers, disbelievers, and hypocrites. To summarize, it says that those who have made up their mind to not believe will not be persuade otherwise, and they'll be the ones to face the consequences with "torment" in the Hereafter (which is also a common Christian belief). Later on, it contrasts "the Garden" (heaven) with "the Fire" (hell). In the footnotes, it explains this Arabic word for torment is "adhab," which is the kind of pain/difficulty/famine you get by restraining from something that is bad for you. So, it seems to be saying that the pain that righteous people have in this life by restraining from things that feel good but are ultimately bad, will be the kind of pain that those in "the Fire" will feel when it finally all catches up to them (except they know that there will be no payoff this time). Even as a Christian, I've always had personal difficulty accept an eternal place of suffering, so this passage still rubs me the wrong way, but it's in the same way some Biblical passages do too. Still, it contrasts with proclaiming God as the Lord and Giver of Mercy. Anyways. it also explains later in this sura that the Muslim view of "disbelievers" is actually narrower than the common Christian view.

After speaking about disbelievers, there's a lengthy disapproval of hypocrites, who attempt to deceive God or others but really only hurt themselves, and of those who are self-deluded. The Qur'an here seems more condemning of them than of disbelievers. It also speaks of people who claim they are trying to "put things right," but are really just spreading corruption across the land even if they do not see it. There's a lot of condemning in this sura of 'spreading corruption in the land', which I think is implied to be a general corruption.

There's more talk contrasting the Gardens of flowing water, with the Fire, of how God is all-powerful and all-knowing, and to not allow there to be rivals to God in your heart. In verse (ayah) 27: "[These] who spread corruption on the earth--these are the losers." These words, or some variant of them, are repeated often in this sura.

The Fall of Iblis/Satan, and the story of Adam

Then we move into the story of Adam and Eve (though Eve isn't named), their fall, and the fall of Satan, all-together. It's actually quite short, just two paragraphs in the Qur'an, so I'll quote the entire thing here:

[Prophet], when your Lord told the angels, 'I am putting a successor on earth,' they said, 'How can You put someone there who will cause damage and bloodshed, when we celebrate Your praise and proclaim Your holiness?' but He said, 'I know things you do not.' He taught Adam all the names [of things], then He showed them to the angels and said, 'Tell me the names of these, if you truly [think you can].' They said 'May You be glorified! We have knowledge only of what You have taught us. You are the All Knowing and All Wise.' Then He said, 'Adam, tell them the names of these.' When he told them the names, God said, 'Did I not tell you that I know what is hidden in the heavens and the earth, and that I know what you reveal and what you conceal?'

When We told the angels, "Bow down before Adam,' they all bowed. But not Iblis, who refused and was arrogant: he was disobedient.We said, 'Adam, live with your wife in this garden. Both of you eat freely there as you will, but do not go near this tree, or you will both become wrongdoers.'But Satan made them slip, and removed them from the state they were in. We said, 'Get out, all of you! You are each other's enemy. On earth you will have a place to stay, and livelihood for a time.' Then Adam received some words [teaching Adam how to repent] from his Lord and He accepted his repentance: He is the Ever Relenting, the Most Merciful. We said, "Get out, all of you! But when guidance comes from Me, as it certainly will, there will be no fear for those who follow My guidance nor will they grieve--those who disbelieve and deny Our messages shall be the inhabitants of the Fire, and there they will remain.'

So here we have the Qur'an's summary of the beginning, with some new details. God speaks of Adam as his "successor," or humanity as his stewards/princes. It seems to be implied that the garden Adam was in was separate from the earth, or something more metaphysical. Also, the angels already seem to know that humankind will make poor moral choices, but God still believes in humans and still seems us as superior to angels. The importance of language is emphasized here. The fall of Iblis into Satan is directly connected to humanity in the Qur'an, where it was never specified in the canon books of the Bible.

The biggest difference here is that God forgives Adam (and presumably Eve)... there is no original sin here. Individual humans are expected to make both good and poor decisions, but God has the power to forgive them.

continued...
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 08:13:32 PM »

Sura 2: the Cow, continued...

The Children of Israel (the Jews)... and a little on Christians

The Qur'an then immediately jumps to talking about the Children of Israel, the Hebrews. God reminds them how He blessed them, and warns them not to sell their faith for "a small price."

Without mentioning Jesus or Christians, the Qur'an then seems to subtly imply their disagreement with Christianity:
Guard yourselves against a Day when no soul will replace any other in any way, no intercession will be accepted from it, nor any compensation; nor will they be helped.
This seems to be put in there to argue against the idea that one Human can pay the cost for the sins of others, which is how many (though not all) Christian denominations explain the importance of Jesus and his death on the cross.

But the Qur'an doesn't dwell on this, and goes on to summarize the story of Exodus... of how God delivered the Children of Israel from the Pharoah's people, parted the sea, brought them to Mount Sinai, and how Moses found some of them worshipping a calf upon his return from the summit after 40 days and nights. (We're on about verse 50 of 286 verses in this chapter). God then continues to recount to Mohammed the trials of the Children of Israel when wandering in the desert. Then we come to this, verse 62:
The Muslim believers, the Jews, the Christians, and the Sabians -- all those who believe in God and the Last Day and do good -- will have their rewards with the Lord. No fear for them, nor will they grieve.

Here, we learn what the definition of a "believer" is... basically, to believe in One God, a day of resurrection and judgment (but perhaps God, being most merciful, judges that everyone go to the Garden?), and for the faith in these things to be accompanied by good works too.

Then we get to the story of the Cow in the title, which I already summarized. Following that, more on the everlasting Garden versus the everlasting Fire, and more condemning hypocrites and also false prophets, especially those who take advantage of the uneducated.

Hypocrisy of some of the Jewish tribes in Medina at the time is then pointed out:
Remember when We took a pledge from the Children of Israel: 'Worship none but God; be good to your parents and kinsfolk, to orphans and the poor; speak good words to all people; keep up the prayer and pay the prescribed alms.' Then all but a few of you turned away and paid no heed. We took a pledge from you, 'Do not shed one another's blood or drive one another away from your homelands.' You acknowledged it at the time, and you can testify to this. Yet here you are, killing one another and driving some of your own people from their homes, helping one another in sin and aggression against them.
Somewhat relevant for the times...

It then goes on, repeats again how God sent Moses and successors, and eventually:
We gave Jesus, son of Mary, clear signs and strengthened him with the holy spirit.
Here we have our first (I think) explicit mention of Jesus in the Qur'an, and Mary, and the holy spirit too in verse 87. Important to point out, I think. The Qur'an then comments on how the people tend to mock or even kill the messengers who bring news of things they do not want to hear.

Other parallels with the Bible are then summed up, some more distinctions, and its own recap...

The angels Gabriel and Michael are then named as angels of God, then it speaks of Harut and Marut and the corruption and witchcraft from Babylon of the Kingdom of Solomon. God says: Any revelation we cause to be superseded or forgotten, We replace with something better or similar. Which is an interesting admission. And tells Muslims to forgive and forbear when the "People of the Book" (Jews and Christians) try to convert them. Any who direct themselves wholly to God and do good will have their reward with their Lord: no fear for them, nor will they grieve. (verse 112) is a saying that appears, in some variants, several times and pops up here again. Then it mentions the debate between Jews and Christians, and how God will settle the matter on their differences on Judgment Day. Funnily, the Qur'an does slip in a direct refutation to a core Christian idea in verse 116, They have asserted, 'God has a child.' May He be exalted. No! ... but this is interjected in, with nothing else about the topic either before or after it. It's kind of like it was just snuck in there to wake people up and make sure they're paying attention, in the middle of a discussion on something else. Tongue It then talks about how those who go into "the Blaze" are solely responsible for their decisions and those consequences, not anyone else. About a dozen verses later, the saying about those rejecting the truth being losers is repeated, and the part about how no soul can stand in for another is repeated, and how blessed the Children of Israel are is repeated.

Abraham and descendants

After its own recap, the Qur'an then begins to speak of Abraham for the first time. It tells of how, after passing a test, Abraham went with Ishmael and built the House (which is the Kaaba). And how Abraham's sons worshipped God, as well as Abraham's grandson Jacob and his sons, and how the sons of Jacob reassured their father on his deathbed that they too will continue to worship the God of Abraham, Ishmael, and Isaac. God is praised some more, underlining how he is the only one true God, and how people should believe now and not regret it later.

Dietary Restrictions... and leniency for it

There's some talk of dietary restrictions, but it is very brief, in verses 172 and 173 (much shorter compared to the Old Testament):
You who believe, eat the good things. We have provided for you and be grateful to God, if it is Him that you worship. He has only forbidden you carrion, blood, pig's meat, and animals over which any name other than God's has been invoked. But if anyone is forced to eat such things by hunger, rather than desire or excess, he commits no sin: God is most merciful and forgiving.
I like that the Qur'an has that leniency built right into it.

The Qur'an's own summary of core beliefs:

Then there's this nice short summary of Islamic beliefs in verse 177:
Goodness does not consist of turning your face towards East or West. The truly good are those who believe in God and the Last Day, in the angels, the Scripture, and the prophets; who give away some of their wealth, however much they cherish it, to their relatives, to orphans, the needy, travelers and beggars, and to liberate those in bondage; those who keep up the prayer and pay the prescribed alms; who keep pledges whenever they make them; who are steadfast in misfortune, adversity, and times of danger. These are the ones who are true, and it is they who are aware of God.
This seems to summarize the core beliefs I talked about in my first post here, and most of the 5 pillars, really well. Putting it all together. It also talks about how freeing people from slavery is an act of charity.

"Fair Retribution"?

Next in verse 178, it talks about "fair retribution" for justice in murder. I'm not sure what exactly it's trying to convey. Perhaps someone can help me out?

Bequests, Fasting, and Ramadan:

It then talks about making proper bequests when preparing to die... and then it tells of the importance of fasting, and makes the month of Ramadan into a month of fasting. But again, there's some leniency built into it. From verse 185: God wants ease for you, not hardship. It then says God will now allow married couples to have sex during a month of fasting, but please no sex in the mosque, that's the limit. Seriously. Tongue

Since this sura is so long, I'm going to stop here for now, and pick up at verse (ayah) 190. There's a little less than a hundred versus left, so this is about two-thirds of chapter 2. This is when the more legalistic, detailed part of this sura starts.

And we will begin right away, in verse 190, with when God says it's ok to go to war, and what the rules of war should be.

So, that will probably catch the interest of a lot of people, especially when there are so many extremists trying to justify terrorist attacks, other murder, and torture in the world today. How close are they actually to the Qur'an? Find out about that, and more, next time...
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies