Are we living in the Age of the Degenerate Dharma?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:27:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Are we living in the Age of the Degenerate Dharma?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Also known as the Latter Day of the Law
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: Are we living in the Age of the Degenerate Dharma?  (Read 799 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2019, 10:50:00 PM »

For context.

Until a few hours ago I would have said no, because I'm not a Buddhist and because this is dangerously close to reactionary "lost Golden Age" thinking, but considering that tonight's international news involves a climate change protest being evacuated due to proximity to a chan culture-fueled Islamophobic terrorist attack, I'm thinking that maybe those ancient Sanskrit writers were on to something after all.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 11:17:16 PM »

This is the most moral age of them all.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 10:52:04 AM »

10,000 years. I hope not.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 03:45:12 PM »

This is the most moral age of them all.

Your ancestors fought incessantly to survive in ecosystems that constantly threatened to annihilate them with war, famine, and disease, and despite it all managed to pass on a civilization that everyone alive today lives on the fruits of... but you’re a better person than they were because of what you believe.

I think this post does enough to answer OP’s question.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 03:52:27 PM »

So it's Buddhists stealing the idea of the Kali Yuga from Hindu scriptures.

I have often considered not without wonder whence arises a fault, which, as it is universally found among old people, may be believed to be proper and natural to them. And this is, that they nearly all praise bygone times and censure the present, inveighing against our acts and ways and everything which they in their youth did not do; affirming too that every good custom and good manner of living, every virtue, in short every thing, is always going from bad to worse.

(...) and they remind us that there were no murders in those days (or very few at most), no brawls, no ambushes, no deceits, but a certain frank and kindly good will among all men, a loyal confidence; and that in the courts of that time such good behaviour and decorum prevailed, that courtiers were all like monks, and woe to him who should have spoken insultingly to another, or so much as made a less than decorous gesture to a woman. And on the other hand they say everything is the reverse in these days, and that not only have courtiers lost their fraternal love and gentle mode of life, but that nothing prevails in courts but envy, malice, immorality and very dissolute living, with every sort of vice,—the women lascivious without shame, the men effeminate. They condemn our dress also as indecorous and too womanish.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 02:07:59 AM »

I think "steal" is a harsh word here. Buddhism arose from within the discourse of Hindu religion and much of Hindu cosmology is implied in Buddhist doctrines which arose as reactions to them.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 11:20:12 AM »

I have often considered not without wonder whence arises a fault, which, as it is universally found among old people, may be believed to be proper and natural to them. And this is, that they nearly all praise bygone times and censure the present, inveighing against our acts and ways and everything which they in their youth did not do; affirming too that every good custom and good manner of living, every virtue, in short every thing, is always going from bad to worse.

(...) and they remind us that there were no murders in those days (or very few at most), no brawls, no ambushes, no deceits, but a certain frank and kindly good will among all men, a loyal confidence; and that in the courts of that time such good behaviour and decorum prevailed, that courtiers were all like monks, and woe to him who should have spoken insultingly to another, or so much as made a less than decorous gesture to a woman. And on the other hand they say everything is the reverse in these days, and that not only have courtiers lost their fraternal love and gentle mode of life, but that nothing prevails in courts but envy, malice, immorality and very dissolute living, with every sort of vice,—the women lascivious without shame, the men effeminate. They condemn our dress also as indecorous and too womanish.

Is this from Castiglione? It reminds me of the hilarious scene early in Don Quixote where the Don gives a pages-long discourse about the Classical "Golden Age" to a bunch of goatherds who sit around listening raptly not understanding a word he's saying.

At least in the context of Japanese Buddhism the concept has from time to time been employed to leftist sociopolitical ends, fwiw (because it's been seen as in some sense liberatory from the more burdensome and socially reactionary demands of traditional Buddhist moral theology), whereas when I hear "Kali Yuga" I think far-right "Perennialist" figures such as Evola.

MustCrushCapitalism is broadly correct about the relationship between Hindu and Buddhist cosmologies and eschatologies.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies