Would Nixon have won in '60 had there been no voter fraud?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:09:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Would Nixon have won in '60 had there been no voter fraud?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

I don't know enough about the election

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Would Nixon have won in '60 had there been no voter fraud?  (Read 3291 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2015, 05:01:11 PM »

Considering Nixon would have reached 270 by picking up both Illinois and Texas and both of those states were won by margins so small that they could have gone for Kennedy due to only voter fraud, who do you think would have won had voter fraud been nonexistent?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 05:07:27 PM »

There was voter fraud going on in both camps in Illinois in 1960.  It is impossible to know who would have won the state in a "fair" election.

And, of course, Kennedy probably would have won states like Mississippi, Florida, and Virginia if African Americans weren't being systematically disenfranchised. 

So, in my opinion, to say that Nixon was the legitimate winner in 1960 is wrong.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 05:25:27 PM »

Texas wasn't close enough to be affected by voter fraud--Kennedy's margin there was 2%. That's as much of a crackpot theory as Dems claiming Ohio was stolen in 2004 and Kerry was the rightful winner.

It's possible that Illinois was stolen, but it's true that there was fraud on both sides, so it's impossible to know to what degree they canceled each other out. And Nixon winning Illinois isn't enough to cost Kennedy an EV majority.

There's a reason why Nixon didn't pursue legal challenges to the 1960 results more aggressively.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 06:56:30 PM »

Doubtful.  Kennedy's margin among blacks exceeded any probable fraud.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 05:30:54 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2015, 05:33:45 AM by MohamedChalid »

No, he would have won Illinois but still lose the EC with 282-247-8. He may have won the PV.

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »

And, of course, Kennedy probably would have won states like Mississippi, Florida, and Virginia if African Americans weren't being systematically disenfranchised. 

I could be wrong about this (and please correct me if I am), but weren't Southern blacks still opposed to the Democratic Party until 1964?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 01:04:58 PM »

I could be wrong about this (and please correct me if I am), but weren't Southern blacks still opposed to the Democratic Party until 1964?

I don't think they were "unopposed" after either, but they saw the national Democratic Party as a (barely) better vehicle for their interests than the national Republican Party.  In most of the Deep South, Blacks had a choice between a racist party that fought for poor people or a racist party that fought for rich people.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »

Kennedy won blacks nationally 62-38 over Nixon, and I would be surprised if Southern blacks had substantially different preferences from Northern ones.  Northern blacks had been voting for Democrats for 28 years by this point too.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 01:57:20 PM »

I don't think they were "unopposed" after either, but they saw the national Democratic Party as a (barely) better vehicle for their interests than the national Republican Party.  In most of the Deep South, Blacks had a choice between a racist party that fought for poor people or a racist party that fought for rich people.

Kennedy won blacks nationally 62-38 over Nixon, and I would be surprised if Southern blacks had substantially different preferences from Northern ones.  Northern blacks had been voting for Democrats for 28 years by this point too.

That makes sense.  I had heard that the reason Northern African-Americans were willing to vote Democrat during the '30s and beyond because by that point Northern Democrats had dropped most of their appeals to racial prejudice and there was already a rift between the Northern and Southern wings of the party.  And that Southern African-Americans would have supported the Republican Party into the '40s at least had they not been prevented from voting.  I don't remember where I heard this though.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 03:08:19 PM »

There was voter fraud going on in both camps in Illinois in 1960.  It is impossible to know who would have won the state in a "fair" election.

So, in my opinion, to say that Nixon was the legitimate winner in 1960 is wrong.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 04:13:05 PM »

You think Southern Democrats kept Blacks from voting for their party's nominee so that Eisenhower's VP could become President?
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 04:53:06 PM »

You think Southern Democrats kept Blacks from voting for their party's nominee so that Eisenhower's VP could become President?

Did either of us say that?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 05:20:48 PM »

You certainly implied Southern Blacks would have been a sure vote for Kennedy in those states.  And the ones systematically disenfranchising them were Democrats who would have clearly preferred Kennedy to Nixon in 1960.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 05:43:46 PM »

You certainly implied Southern Blacks would have been a sure vote for Kennedy in those states.  And the ones systematically disenfranchising them were Democrats who would have clearly preferred Kennedy to Nixon in 1960.

It's not as if Southern Democrats could've gone "lol I'm going to enfranchise blacks to ensure Kennedy gets elected".  The potential social and political effects of enfranchising black Democrats were viewed by Southern whites (who, yes, were also Democrats more often than not) as much more threatening to the Southern white supremacist institution than letting a conservative Republican win an election and any Southerner, Republican or Democrat, who suggested otherwise was in danger both on an electoral and personal level.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 07:23:42 PM »

I don't know, but some of the county-level data in Alabama and other states seems to indicate that Nixon ran well in some of the black regions.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 07:24:33 PM »

That makes sense.  I had heard that the reason Northern African-Americans were willing to vote Democrat during the '30s and beyond because by that point Northern Democrats had dropped most of their appeals to racial prejudice and there was already a rift between the Northern and Southern wings of the party.  And that Southern African-Americans would have supported the Republican Party into the '40s at least had they not been prevented from voting.  I don't remember where I heard this though.
The main reason blacks started voting Democrat in the 1930s (at least Northern blacks) was a response to the New Deal.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 08:12:09 PM »

Yes, since Illinois and Texas would tide Nixon over. If there were no voter fraud at all, Kennedy would have gotten all of the Byrd EVs as well.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 08:25:52 PM »

Winthrop Rockefeller.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 03:47:24 PM »

Winthrop Rockefeller.

Is not your typical Southern Republican of the '50s and '60s.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 08:51:38 PM »

There was voter fraud going on in both camps in Illinois in 1960.  It is impossible to know who would have won the state in a "fair" election.

You certainly implied Southern Blacks would have been a sure vote for Kennedy in those states.  And the ones systematically disenfranchising them were Democrats who would have clearly preferred Kennedy to Nixon in 1960.

Dude, get a clue about 1960.

Both Nixon and Kennedy basically agreed on every issue. The only difference between Nixon and Kennedy was really that Nixon was like, "I'll do exactly what Senator Kennedy is proposing, but I'll do it in such a way that is still pro-business, balances the budget, keeps the dollar strong, and is STRONG ON DEFENSE".

That's literally it. If you do some Google searches of the debates (not just the famous televised one) and newspaper reader commentary reaction, a recurring theme from Republican commenters was "Nixon agrees with Kennedy too much".

In 1960, Blacks were faced with two pro-civil rights candidates, except one was an economic liberal and the other a bit less liberal. Considering the economic hardships black Americans have faced (and still do) for all of American history, they are going to vote for the party of comprehensive social safety nets and widespread government investment and a higher minimum wage, not the guy who keeps going on about a strong dollar, business taking precedence over labor, and balancing the budget.

The Republican Party had become the moderate heroes of civil rights, while the Democrats had a hardcore Dixiecrat wing and a pro-civil rights wing at the same time. Stop viewing things in such black-and-white terms.

Make peace with the fact that the Republican Party stopped gunning for civil rights after Reconstruction, and starting in the 1970s began to actively undermine them. I'm happy there are people like you who want to change the party going forward, but you cannot rewrite the past.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies