BREAKING: Presidency Falls Vacant! (Update: Talleyrand nominated for President) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:16:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  BREAKING: Presidency Falls Vacant! (Update: Talleyrand nominated for President) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Presidency Falls Vacant! (Update: Talleyrand nominated for President)  (Read 2012 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: December 16, 2015, 01:57:31 PM »

If there is a consensus that we would like to hold off on the holiday recess, then I will convene the special session. However I will need someone to take on the responsibility of acting speaker, as I will not be able to preside over the session myself.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 04:44:59 PM »

I did not take any action whatsoever on the basis of "threats". I am not a member of the government. I am a nonpartisan official. I simply saw from these comments and private messages that there was a concensus that we elect a new president before adjourning for a winter recess.

Furthermore I believe it would be helpful for the Registrar-General to keep a record of when the next elections must be held.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 11:49:27 PM »

I did not take any action whatsoever on the basis of "threats". I am not a member of the government. I am a nonpartisan official. I simply saw from these comments and private messages that there was a consensus that we elect a new president before adjourning for a winter recess.

You misunderstand me, Mr. Speaker - I was referring to the Constitutional provision requiring new elections if the special session does not elect a new president by the end of the week.

I do not think I do-- you said it right there: "Following threats of a non-confidence votes... Acting President Simfan".

As for the constitutional provision, I think there is room for interpretation. My understanding of it is that it requires that a special session be convened to elect the president, and run for no more than one week, not that such a session be convened immediately upon, and run for no more than a week following, the end of the president's term.

If the latter was in fact the correct reading, it would not mean that the special session ends at the end of this week, but would in rather end a week following the end of the President's term, which, since the President's term ended on the 10th, would be on the 17th, which is, uh, in about 10 minutes. Unless that was the plan all along. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies