DNC software breach gave Sanders campaign confidential Clinton Data (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:34:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  DNC software breach gave Sanders campaign confidential Clinton Data (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: DNC software breach gave Sanders campaign confidential Clinton Data  (Read 42005 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: December 18, 2015, 01:15:44 AM »

DNC are [have hired] completely incompetent morons when their "confidential voter information" is vulnerable [presumably] to SQL injection, in 2015. (Not quite as egregious as OPM, but close). And clearly putting a few anvils on the scale for Hillary.

The DNC is run by DWS, so Democrats should be thankful that their database didn't crash and burn Romney 2012 Project Orca style.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 01:36:47 AM »

Hillary partisans are trying to spin this as terrible for the Bernie campaign. But having top secret emails on your personal computer is fine.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 02:38:56 AM »

The Bernie campaign reported that their data was accessible to other campaigns months ago without trying to make a scandal out of it. Shame on  the DNC and Hillary campaign for trying to make Bernie the bad guy.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/12/18/sanders-campaign-disciplined-for-breaching-clinton-data/?smid=nytpolitics&smtyp=cur&_r=0
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 03:01:39 AM »

Based on what has been written the poor staffer was accessing the Sanders campaign data when he suddenly had access to the Clinton campaign data. The staffer then contacted the vendor to tell them there was an error. For his good work in reporting the error which was in no way their fault they got fired. Seems rather unfair, especially if this is an ongoing issue with the data and its access.

There might be more to it like evidence that the staffer saved all of the data before reporting its access, or maybe the staffer was deliberately trying to access Clinton campaign data and managed too on this occasion.

And I am not sure it is possible to prove you have deleted data completely.

No good deed goes unpunished. And it's awfully convenient that the campaign that reported the problem gets punished while the DNC's chosen candidate still has access, and likely could have accessed Bernie's files, but never reported it.

The DNC has done enough sh**t to Bernie, he needs to start threatening to run as an independent if they don't treat him with some minimal respect.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 03:21:34 AM »

Based on what has been written the poor staffer was accessing the Sanders campaign data when he suddenly had access to the Clinton campaign data. The staffer then contacted the vendor to tell them there was an error. For his good work in reporting the error which was in no way their fault they got fired. Seems rather unfair, especially if this is an ongoing issue with the data and its access.

There might be more to it like evidence that the staffer saved all of the data before reporting its access, or maybe the staffer was deliberately trying to access Clinton campaign data and managed too on this occasion.

And I am not sure it is possible to prove you have deleted data completely.

No good deed goes unpunished. And it's awfully convenient that the campaign that reported the problem gets punished while the DNC's chosen candidate still has access, and likely could have accessed Bernie's files, but never reported it.

The DNC has done enough sh**t to Bernie, he needs to start threatening to run as an independent if they don't treat him with some minimal respect.

You're getting flustered over something that you made up in your mind. You don't know whether the Clinton campaign accessed Sanders' data so don't get all worked up thinking about the possibility that they might have. It makes you seem childish.

Besides, I doubt the Sanders campaign has anything that Obama's database and the info that his former campaign staff didn't already have access to anyway.

What is childish is how every Hillary supporter is trying to use this against Bernie when his campaign reported the problem months ago and nothing was done. And why is he locked out for reporting the problem while the Hillary campaign still has access? The DNC needs to stop playing dirty tricks for the chosen one. The DNC has really managed to lower my opinion of them quite a bit, and I didn't think that would be possible.

This is what Sanders gets for refusing to denounce his disgusting cult followers. That's major karma right there.

Hillary has no shortage of those.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 03:22:38 AM »

Clinton has always had the establishment in her back pocket.

Well, to be fair she has the advantage of being a Democrat, unlike Sanders.

Sanders has caucused with the Democrats and is running in the Democratic primary...I doubt that is the reason.

I don't know why Hillary hacks keep bringing that up when even Bill Gardner decided that Bernie is a Democrat.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 03:26:16 AM »

I'm mostly in the "who cares?" camp on this, based on what's printed.  I also except this will be a flash-in-the-pan story.

I use VAN for work, and I know exactly how this sort of thing can happen.  I think some of you are being unrealistic about blaming a campaign for "accessing data."  Democrats use a common interface.  In this case, what probably happened was that Clinton's voter IDs were accidentally shared as public data, instead of Clinton-private data.  Someone at the Sanders campaign probably noticed this data, accessed it out of "wtf is this?" curiosity or whatever and, once accessing it, realized that the data was way too extensive to be anything but the Clinton database.  If they then went on to report it,  Why are you all being so adamant that "accessing the information" was nefarious or "cheating" here?  If he downloaded and stored the data that's one thing.  If he merely opened the file to check what it was, and got fired for that, he got thrown under the bus.

Does anyone here disagree, understanding how VAN works?

Yes, I disagree. (I've used VAN and other databases for past political work, though before it merged with NGP, and I now manage legal databses.) They didn't self-report, they got caught. And the Sanders campaign agrees with me, because they just fired Uretsky.

True, I doubt the people knew what they were accessing until they accessed it. And the Bernie campaign reported that this was a problem months ago.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 03:53:07 AM »

I'm mostly in the "who cares?" camp on this, based on what's printed.  I also except this will be a flash-in-the-pan story.

I use VAN for work, and I know exactly how this sort of thing can happen.  I think some of you are being unrealistic about blaming a campaign for "accessing data."  Democrats use a common interface.  In this case, what probably happened was that Clinton's voter IDs were accidentally shared as public data, instead of Clinton-private data.  Someone at the Sanders campaign probably noticed this data, accessed it out of "wtf is this?" curiosity or whatever and, once accessing it, realized that the data was way too extensive to be anything but the Clinton database.  If they then went on to report it,  Why are you all being so adamant that "accessing the information" was nefarious or "cheating" here?  If he downloaded and stored the data that's one thing.  If he merely opened the file to check what it was, and got fired for that, he got thrown under the bus.

Yes, I disagree. (I've used VAN and other databases for past political work, though before it merged with NGP, and I now manage legal databses.) They didn't self-report, they got caught. And the Sanders campaign agrees with me, because they just fired Uretsky.

True, I doubt the people knew what they were accessing until they accessed it. And the Bernie campaign reported that this was a problem months ago.

No, bullsh**t. You have to deliberately choose what list to view in VAN. If you access someone else's list, it's because you wanted to access it. This is incredibly scumbaggy.

The vendor says the access was inadvertent.
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/12/18/sanders-campaign-disciplined-for-breaching-clinton-data/?smid=nytpolitics&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Of course they should probably get a better vendor, since the Bernie campaign reported this bug months ago. Maybe a firm whose CEO wasn't Hillary's CTO?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 04:32:19 AM »

I use VAN for work, and I know exactly how this sort of thing can happen.  I think some of you are being unrealistic about blaming a campaign for "accessing data."  Democrats use a common interface.  In this case, what probably happened was that Clinton's voter IDs were accidentally shared as public data, instead of Clinton-private data.  Someone at the Sanders campaign probably noticed this data, accessed it out of "wtf is this?" curiosity or whatever and, once accessing it, realized that the data was way too extensive to be anything but the Clinton database.  If they then went on to report it,  Why are you all being so adamant that "accessing the information" was nefarious or "cheating" here?  If he downloaded and stored the data that's one thing.  If he merely opened the file to check what it was, and got fired for that, he got thrown under the bus.

No, bullsh**t. You have to deliberately choose what list to view in VAN. If you access someone else's list, it's because you wanted to access it. This is incredibly scumbaggy.

The vendor says the access was inadvertent.

Of course they should probably get a better vendor, since the Bernie campaign reported this bug months ago. Maybe a firm whose CEO wasn't Hillary's CTO?

No, the vendor is saying that dropping the safeguards was inadvertent, i.e., they didn't deliberately give access to the Sanders campaign. If you believe that the Sanders staffer 1) Knew of a security vulnerability in VAN and 2) Just happened to exploit it "inadvertently" during the tiny window of opportunity...

And again - the Sanders campaign does not agree with you, at all. "Inappropriate" =/= "inadvertent".

But about NPG VAN - yeah, you're right. The platforms I use now have so many layers of security that it's almost literally impossible for us to allow a user into someone else's data. VAN is very bare-bones.

Well, it kind of doesn't matter what the user did, because he was fired. But it's ridiculous that the DNC cut the campaign's access to the data (while keeping Hillary's access) and is making it into a scandal when Bernie's campaign reported in months ago, and the DNC chair and vendor CEO are both Hillary hacks.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 04:36:44 AM »

Yes, obviously, the DNC, in the hope of projecting fairness, will cut off the Clinton campaign from Votebuilder for the duration of the investigation into a Sanders' campaign staffer improperly accessing her campaign data through no fault of her campaign. Yes, that will definitely go over well.

The bug was reported months ago, and there's no evidence that Hillary's campaign didn't access Bernie's files.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 04:49:15 AM »

Also this was a staffer and he was fired so i doubt this will hurt Sanders. (even though DWS will try)

SCANDAL AS WORKER'S ALLY SANDERS FIRES LOW LEVEL EMPLOYEE!!

also lmao all round: at the DNC, at jfern furiously spinning, at this "scandal". lol

We wouldn't have heard of this if Bernie's campaign hadn't reported the bug. It's a scandal alright, just not the way some are thinking. It's a scandal that this is being used to take down Bernie, and that they blocked his campaign's access to its own data.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 04:52:55 AM »

Also this was a staffer and he was fired so i doubt this will hurt Sanders. (even though DWS will try)

also lmao all round: at the DNC, at jfern furiously spinning, at this "scandal". lol

We wouldn't have heard of this if Bernie's campaign hadn't reported the bug. It's a scandal alright, just not the way some are thinking. It's a scandal that this is being used to take down Bernie, and that they blocked his campaign's access to its own data.
They blocked his campaign's access to the DNC owned and cultivated VIN system that the campaigns purchase the rights to access. It isn't his data, he's merely renting it.

You might want to rethink that one. If the only data on the system was DNC owned then that kind of kills this whole story.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 05:09:52 AM »

They blocked his campaign's access to the DNC owned and cultivated VIN system that the campaigns purchase the rights to access. It isn't his data, he's merely renting it.

You might want to rethink that one. If the only data on the system was DNC owned then that kind of kills this whole story.
Candidates add their own data to the system, and they retain ownership of that, but the valuable part is the DNC data. I've used the system before in Iowa and it is very, very good and is integral to canvassing and phonebanking efforts.

The question is whether they lost access to their own files. It's bad enough that they were suddenly cut off from valuable DNC voter information just 45 days before the Iowa caucuses.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 05:16:35 AM »

The question is whether they lost access to their own files. It's bad enough that they were suddenly cut off from valuable DNC voter information just 45 days before the Iowa caucuses.
Their own data would be useless without the Voter Identification Number that is part of the Votebuilder system.

And you are right, this is very bad for the Sanders campaign, and from the reporting I have seen, it is going to get worse tomorrow.

If the DNC doesn't restore access tommorrow, Bernie needs to make a threat to have a 3rd party run. The debate schedule was ridiculous enough. This would be the final straw.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 05:13:02 PM »

The DNC has declared war against Bernie for not being the chosen one. The Bernie campaign had reported this bug in the past, and the terminated employee was collecting information to file the bug again. No good deed goes unpunished. The leaking to the media was bad enough, but cutting the Bernie campaign off from their own data makes this be total war.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 05:16:05 PM »

jfern stop lying. Everything you have said in this thread has been verifiably false.

It's not false. You really want to split the party in two. I guess you really relish having Hillary lose in November?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 05:19:02 PM »

"Good for Bernie. The DNC is nothing more than an arm for the Clinton campaign" - Jim Webb
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 05:25:31 PM »

You aren't in the party. And despite your ridiculous assertions, Clinton has ridiculously high favorability ratings among Democrats. There is no evidence that she will have any trouble getting their votes.

I'm a registered Democrat, but that will most likely be changing soon. I'm sure this will hurt her ability to get votes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 06:08:14 PM »

The case has been filed in DC district court.

http://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000151-b72f-d1ae-add5-f76f14db0001

You aren't in the party. And despite your ridiculous assertions, Clinton has ridiculously high favorability ratings among Democrats. There is no evidence that she will have any trouble getting their votes.

I'm a registered Democrat, but that will most likely be changing soon. I'm sure this will hurt her ability to get votes.

I'm sure you will be joining the Trump campaign when Bernie loses the nomination.

I'd vote Jill Stein if he doesn't get the nomination.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »

BREAKING: WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Clinton campaign manager says its data was 'stolen' by Sanders campaign.

They keep this sh**t up, and I'm never voting for anyone who endorsed Hillary.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 06:22:21 PM »

BREAKING: WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Clinton campaign manager says its data was 'stolen' by Sanders campaign.

This is literally true, so?

Berniebots can't fathom that their progressive messiah might not be as beautiful, precious, and pure as they think he is.

Hillary supporters are too clueless to realize how ridiculous this makes them seem

Wheres the lie?

The terminated employee was collecting data to file a bug. And he was fired for it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 06:35:16 PM »

This is literally true, so?

Berniebots can't fathom that their progressive messiah might not be as beautiful, precious, and pure as they think he is.

Hillary supporters are too clueless to realize how ridiculous this makes them seem

Wheres the lie?

The terminated employee was collecting data to file a bug. And he was fired for it.

That's what the staffer claims claims to have done, yes, but I see little reason to believe him.

--------------

Sanders was right to fire him and the deputy should go as well, but punishing the whole campaign over this is unjustified and nothing but pure Hillary Hackery.

So what? the DNC should of gave the sanders campaign a pat on the back and act like its nothing?

The punishment fits the crime which is blocking database access for copying the voter database of the clinton campaign.

The Bernie campaign had reported this bug before and the bug wasn't fixed. The bug likely went both ways, the Hillary campaign probably could have accessed Bernie's files. But the DNC isn't interested in taking down Hillary. The Bernie campaign spent millions building up their own data that they no longer have access to because of this. This is war.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »

That's not true, you keep saying things that have been discredited. The bug was in a different software package.

What are you talking about?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »

My position on this has evolved considerably over the course of the day. What I'm incensed about now is the fact that the DNC is holding an entire campaign hostage. However, it appears significantly that the Sanders team was doing more than merely "collecting information to report". This just came across my feed; I am not sure if it was just updated or what:

What these lists essentially translate to is the following:

• HFA Turnout 60-100 - People (probably Hillary supporters) who have a 60-100% chance of turning out in the primary if engaged
  • HFA Support 50-100 - People who have a 50-100% chance of supporting Hillary in the primary
  • HFA Support <30 - People who have less than a 30% chance of supporting Hillary in IA
  • HFA Turnout 30-70 - People who have a 30-70% chance of turnout out in the primary if engaged in NH

These were not lists being collected in preparation of showing evidence for a bug...
I saw this a few hours ago on twitter, and this is why I've been so pissed at some sanders supporters.  His campgin was steal vital data concerning stuff like this.  And some of them shrug it off like nothing.

They reported this bug months ago and fired the guy involved.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 06:56:40 PM »

The vendor says the export was a 1 page summary without voter information.

http://blog.ngpvan.com/news/data-security-and-privacy#.VnRxJVbm-RA.facebook
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies