Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 02:22:09 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  2016 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: AndrewTX, Likely Voter, TJ in Wisco)
| | |-+  Ted Cruz citizenship thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Is Ted Cruz eligible to be POTUS?
yes   -45 (70.3%)
no   -19 (29.7%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Ted Cruz citizenship thread  (Read 798 times)
standwrand
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:41:38 pm »
Ignore

Is Ted Cruz eligible to be POTUS? Does it really matter if one meets the eligibility requirements anyway?

Endorsements:
#neverTrump
Todd Young for IN Sen
Marco for Prez/FL Sen
Eric Holcomb for IN Gov
The fierce, barbarian tribe of Hoosiers do not tolerate being asked their opinions.
Ted Bessell
tedbessell
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 06:42:05 pm »
Ignore

A. Yes.
B. It does matter.

Trump has made a habit of raising a middle digit to reality, turning that middle digit into a knife, and stabbing reality through the heart.

Al gore is fake news
CXSmith
cxs018
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 06:43:25 pm »
Ignore

He's a damned citizen. The end.

oops this is outdated
We Have A Pope
jdb
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 06:44:01 pm »
Ignore

Who cares?  The whole situation is hilarious.

Cool Grin Tongue Smiley Sad Huh Angry Wink Roll Eyes Undecided Cheesy
Shocked Lips sealed
Hillary pays minimum wage
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 06:45:25 pm »
Ignore

He's a citizen and it's one of the 3 qualifications.
Benedicamus Domino
Classic Conservative
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 06:46:20 pm »
Ignore

Yes via the Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1952 which goes over who is a natural born citizen. Cruz himself when I showed it to him said that it does because of Sections D and E of the specific section that I showed him

"Benjamin Franklin reminded his colleagues at the Constitutional Convention, to begin by bowing their head in prayer. I remind you, we’re going to start saying Merry Christmas again.” Donald John Trump
Ljube
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 07:04:30 pm »
Ignore

No.
Lief 🐋
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 07:14:52 pm »
Ignore

Sorry, but I trust constitutional scholar Laurence Tribe over a bunch of teenagers on the internet. It is clear that Cruz is not eligible. It's a stupid law, but it's the law nonetheless.

fuck nazis
Asian Nazi
d32123
YaBB God
China

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 07:22:05 pm »
Ignore

It is a legitimate question that deserves discussion.  There are a lot of intelligent, well-meaning individuals on both sides of this issue.  However, after extensive reading and a careful weighing of the arguments, I'm going to have to say that no, Ted Cruz is not a natural born citizen and therefore is ineligible to become President of the United States.

I'm not actually a Nazi.

Hillary pays minimum wage
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 07:38:49 pm »
Ignore

Sorry, but I trust constitutional scholar Laurence Tribe over a bunch of teenagers on the internet. It is clear that Cruz is not eligible. It's a stupid law, but it's the law nonetheless.

Teenagers on the internet are uniquely stupid.  I would've liked to see them barter about Obama's citizenship but citizenship isn't what's really on their minds.
Fuzzy Bear
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 07:41:47 pm »
Ignore

Tribe didn't exactly say that Cruz was not eligible.

Tribe's argument, as I heard it, was not that Cruz was not eligible.  Tribe's argument was (A) that the present Supreme Court would find Cruz eligible, but (B) a SCOTUS made up of the kind of Justices Ted Cruz says he'd appoint would likely find Crus NOT eligible.

"The family cannot be constituted like the liberal state, nor can it be governed entirely by that state's principles. Yet the family serves as the seedbed for the virtues required by a liberal state. The family is responsible for teaching lessons of independence, self-restraint, responsibility, and right conduct, which are essential to a free, democratic society. If the family fails in these tasks, then the entire experiment in democratic self-rule is jeopardized."-Barbara Dafoe Whitehead
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 01:18:31 am »
Ignore

Yes, Cruz is a U.S. citizen and he is eligible to be President of the United States.

Trump is playing games and trying to discredit his main opponent.

That should be obvious.

THREE GENERATIONS OF GREAT BLACK REPUBLICAN 
LEADERS BOLDLY FIGHTING FOR AMERICA
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 01:42:28 am »
Ignore

No, mentally imbalanced people are technically barred from serving in federal political office.

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

"Good speech and good looks covers man's every vice. Plain speech and plain looks covers man's every virtue."

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
Fritz
JLD
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 01:47:33 am »
Ignore

Yes, of course he is. 

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 05:09:34 am »
Ignore

He is eligible, but he won't be POTUS.

United Arab Emirates Immigrant, naturalized US citizen, resident of the wonderful state of California, devoted liberal Democrat. Any questions?

Endorsements:
- President: Kamala Harris
- CA Governor: Gavin Newsom
- CA Senate: Kevin de León

- AL Senate: Doug Jones
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 07:08:35 am »
Ignore

Laurence Tribes' argument is based on sexism which I believe would be unconstitutional via constitutional amendment.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
Samoa

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 09:12:03 am »
Ignore

That is an amazingly irresponsible thing for a lawyer to say. Really. And Tribe gets nowhere near to saying that. He says, if you take Cruz's approach to Constitutional interpretation, he's in trouble (I don't agree with that, but whatever). He was tweaking Cruz over that, more than the merits of the issue. If he were asked how he would vote on SCOTUS over this issue, he would say, of course I would rule that he is eligible.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:14:10 am by Torie »Logged
Krago
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 09:28:34 am »
Ignore

My favorite quote from the 2008 election:

Even in Alaska, the reaction was mixed. Republican House Speaker John Harris didn't much want to discuss Palin's qualifications for the nation's second-highest office.

"She's old enough," Harris said. "She's a U.S. citizen."
emailking
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 10:36:39 am »
Ignore

Is Ted Cruz eligible to be POTUS? Does it really matter if one meets the eligibility requirements anyway?
If you meet the eligibility requirements then yes you're eligible? I don't get what point you're trying to ask with the 2nd question. If he meets the age and residency requirements does citizenship then matter? Because yeah, it does.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 12:55:30 am »
Ignore

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/09/dershowitz-tex-cruz-one-of-harvard-laws-smartest-students/

Famed Harvard Law School professor Alan Dershowitz ranks Sen. Ted Cruz among the school’s smartest students, adding that the Canada-born Texan can run for president in 2016.

Dershowitz says Cruz is eligible to be President, case closed.

THREE GENERATIONS OF GREAT BLACK REPUBLICAN 
LEADERS BOLDLY FIGHTING FOR AMERICA
#TheShadowyAbyss
LibertarianRepublican
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 12:59:59 am »
Ignore

Yes and the debate needs to die in a massive fire already, no more birther nonsense

And it keeps on falling down!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout