SC PrimD: Other Source: Clinton up by 19 in SC (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:57:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  SC PrimD: Other Source: Clinton up by 19 in SC (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC PrimD: Other Source: Clinton up by 19 in SC  (Read 1917 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 19, 2016, 09:45:14 PM »

Let's see what happens with other polls.  I wish Bernie would sling a little mud here.  While he was getting arrested in Civil Rights marches Hillary was campaigning for Goldwater.  That's a fact and I don't see why it isn't fair game.  At the very least, Bernie should be pointing out that issues most concerning to the black community when you ask them are his life's work. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:58:56 PM »

Let's see what happens with other polls.  I wish Bernie would sling a little mud here.  While he was getting arrested in Civil Rights marches Hillary was campaigning for Goldwater.  That's a fact and I don't see why it isn't fair game.  At the very least, Bernie should be pointing out that issues most concerning to the black community when you ask them are his life's work. 

The Clinton's have built many years of goodwill with the black community. In 2008, before Obama won Iowa, Blacks and Hispanics preferred Hillary. What ended up happening was that Obama won over liberal whites, young voters (like Bernie is now) but Blacks left Hillary in the dust once they saw that Obama had a chance. That really hurt Hillary - and allowed Obama to rack up delegates in states with large AA population.

The same thing is going to happen to Bernie if he doesn't make inroads.

Another interesting dynamic could be since a lot of primaries are proportional, AA populations are in more urban, higher delegate areas, Hillary will be able to rack up more delegates compared to her percentage overall in the state.

One of the reasons why I think she prevails in Iowa is because the delegate selection is proportional - Bernie's areas of concentration are in less delegate rich counties, which will hurt him.

The caucus process also hurts Hillary.  Smaller counties where only a couple of delegates are awarded?  60-40 for Hillary still means a 1-1 split.  There are factors at play on both sides that tend to skew the raw total towards being closer in the actual delegate count.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 10:05:16 PM »

Unsurprising that people basically misunderstand how the caucus process works.

Also, there's nothing to be worried about for Clinton in South Carolina.

Are you arguing the caucus process DOESN'T tend towards a delegate count closer than the raw total?  This is, how do you say, widely accepted.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 10:08:30 PM »

I think the issue isn't that he isn't bringing it up, I think the issue is that he isn't bringing it up enough. It should be a central point in his campaign, showing that not only do his views align with helping the poor and disenfranchised, but also that his actions back that up. One of his main points every time he speaks is how his ideas have not changed in 30 years (it's not really true, but it makes a good speech), and adding to that that he was marching alongside King can only help that.

I can only hope he is waiting to bust that out at the right time.  Just look at this inspiring image.

HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:12:53 PM »

I think the issue isn't that he isn't bringing it up, I think the issue is that he isn't bringing it up enough. It should be a central point in his campaign, showing that not only do his views align with helping the poor and disenfranchised, but also that his actions back that up. One of his main points every time he speaks is how his ideas have not changed in 30 years (it's not really true, but it makes a good speech), and adding to that that he was marching alongside King can only help that.

I can only hope he is waiting to bust that out at the right time.  Just look at this inspiring image.

For the record, there have been questions over that specific image. Bernie Sanders was definitely active during that time, and was arrested, but this is thought to be an image of another activist.

http://time.com/4108379/bernie-sanders-photo-civil-rights/

Eh whatever.  Here's this one.

Oh the feels
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies