Democratic Nomination for President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:37:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic Nomination for President
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic Nomination for President  (Read 5517 times)
Jacob
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2003, 01:04:21 AM »
« edited: December 22, 2003, 01:05:49 AM by Jacob »

Which of these candidates would be the strongest candidate against Bush? Tell me what you think. I'm only including the 6 so-called major candidates for the nomination, because Kucinich, Sharpton, and Moseley-Braun have no shot at the nomination.

I voted for Wesley Clark, by the way.
Demrepdan

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 02:39:34 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2003, 02:40:07 AM by Demrepdan »

Yeah, I voted for Clark. He has the foreign policy experience and all, and he served in the military. With that in mind, you'd think the Republicans would be scared as hell, thinking of how Clark could beat Bush because he has more miltary experience than Bush, and served in Vietnam, and was a General, and you would think he would make a better Commander in Chief than Bush because of this. But the Republicans AREN'T scared at all, because they think being in the Texas Air National Guard, and being President for 4 years is enough to be the best Commander in Chief this country has ever known.

Who cares about 30 years of being in the military?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 09:51:41 AM »

Clark has the experience of a military leader--not president.

And what about all these flip flops of his?  His position on the Iraq war is like a sad rendition of "she loves me, she loves me not."  "I'm for the war, I'm against it, I'm for the war, I'm against it."  You can't win on flip flops.

It also looks like he's trying to follow in the footsteps of John Kerry.....

"I'll beat the s*** out of them."

--Clark, live on C-Span yesterday, responding to a reporter's question about opponents doubting his patriotism.  Clark quickly followed this with, "I hope that's not on television."  It was.

If the Democrats really want to win next year, they need to nominate someone like Lieberman or Gephardt.
M

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 02:05:07 PM »

Definitely Joe Lieberman. Though I plan on voting Bush against any of the nine, I would have voted in the Dem primary for Lieberman. But I don't turn 18 till April.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 04:16:01 PM »

Even I believe Howard Dean will take the nomination, I'm a Sen. Kerry supporter. Kerry's Silver Star, Bronze Star, abd 3 Purple Hearts are enough to verify his military experience. Clark does however have the overall experience being the Supreme Commander of NATO. I wouldn't mind Leiberman getting the nomination but he has no chance, no foregin policty experience. To me Gov. Dean is a draft dodger.
jravnsbo

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2003, 04:23:01 PM »

can't argue with you on the Dean statement, especially being an officer int eh army reserves, his record is sad.

CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2003, 04:50:11 AM »

Which of these candidates would be the strongest candidate against Bush? Tell me what you think. I'm only including the 6 so-called major candidates for the nomination, because Kucinich, Sharpton, and Moseley-Braun have no shot at the nomination.

Well, that's one more thing we can agree upon! The General will ride High in the Saddle!
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2003, 04:03:33 PM »

Well, that's one more thing we can agree upon! The General will ride High in the Saddle!

I really think that if circumstances were different...say Gore won in 2000 and it was the Republicans duking it out in a primary election...Clark would be a Republican.  Clark knows he wouldn't win a primary election against Bush, so he jumps ship to turn Democrat.  I could be wrong...

Regardless of that though, I think Clark would be a threat to Bush - but not so much that Bush would lose.  Clark has a shaky military record that could hurt him.  And the ballots won't have "General" before his name, which is really the only thing he's got going for him.  Add to that progress in Iraq, and an economy that seems to be gearing up to boom, and there's really no reason why Bush *shouldn't* be reelected.

John Edwards would've been an even bigger threat to Bush than Clark, but Edwards can't win the primary.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2003, 04:15:09 PM »

Gephardt is the only Democratic candidate who could win every state Gore won and win one or two Bush states.  Clark is a sleazy idiot and the American people would be able to see that.  I think if Clark got the nomination he'd go down in flames.  I only hope that Dean puts him on the ticket.  I look forward to seeing Cheney cream Clark in VP debate.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2003, 04:18:57 PM »

2 things ...

1) Where do you get the characterization of Clark as a "sleazy idiot"?  What, specifically, has he done or said to give you that impression of him?

2) Where do you get the impression that Cheney is a great speaker?  The only thing which he is really famous for saying is "BIG TIME".  And that was in response to Bush's calling a reporter an asshole.
jravnsbo

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2003, 04:56:35 PM »

well as I wouldn't call Clarka  sleazy idiot, that's Clinton's label!

Anyway Clark has major character questions--he is said to have heard RUMORS around DC about Bush plans and used them to say they were facts, highly questionable.  Then his integrity has been attacked by General such as Hugh Shelton ( not known at all for such a personal attack) and Gen Tommy Franks, the leader of the coalition in liberating Iraq.

Plus he has a rep for stepping on others to move up and not looking out for the soldiers below him as ANY officer should.

sleazy NO, but also No on integrity.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2003, 09:42:12 AM »

I'll ignore the cheap dig at Clinton in the interest of keeping this on topic.

As for the "character issues" ... well I can't say that the opinions of 2 politically connected generals makes a strong case.  Hugh Shelton is serving as an advisor to the Edwards campaign and Tommy Franks has long since tied himself to Bush.  That doesn't make for "major character issues".  It makes for typical politics.

As for the rep for stepping on others, this is the first I've heard of it.  I'm not shocked though.  That is pretty standard in business.  Dick Cheney has the same rep.
jravnsbo

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2003, 10:27:50 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2003, 10:47:12 AM by jravnsbo »

Well Maybe because I'm in the military and surprised as H*ll when Clark announced because a lot of people in  the military don't like him.  Odd that you know a general like we do Clark when just in the reserves and such, but we were always hearing the "stepping on" people commnets.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2003, 10:42:32 AM »

Well Maybe becaus ei'm int he military and surprised as H*ll when Clark announced because a lot of people int he military don't like him.  Odd that you know a general like we do Clark when just int eh reserves and such, but we were always hearing the "stepping on" people commnets.

Interpretor?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2003, 10:45:21 AM »

Well Maybe becaus ei'm int he military and surprised as H*ll when Clark announced because a lot of people int he military don't like him.  Odd that you know a general like we do Clark when just int eh reserves and such, but we were always hearing the "stepping on" people commnets.

Interpretor?

Yes, please, jravnsbo writes fast, but this time it was a little too fast.
jravnsbo

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2003, 10:47:28 AM »

fixed it Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies