Do the majority of Americans support a $15 minimum wage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:43:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do the majority of Americans support a $15 minimum wage?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Do the majority of Americans support a $15 minimum wage?  (Read 5025 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2005, 12:37:27 AM »
« edited: May 29, 2005, 12:39:05 AM by opebo »

I don't mind working overtime, I get time and a half for it.  More money for me.

Ditto

Thank the liberal Democrats and the unions for that, you ingrates.

'Overtime' doesn't matter. What matters is what you're willing to work for, and how much the market offers for your work.

No, you are describing a market place in wages.  The idea is to not allow that through government intervention in the economy.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2005, 12:47:57 AM »

a 15 Dollar minimum wage likely would not (by creating mass inflation and everybody ending up more or less where they started.)

No, the 'inflation' would be universal, the wage hike to fund it would be concentrated. The people receiving minimum wage would indeed be 'better off.'
No. Only in Opebo's mind (well, what the consensus describes as Opebo's mind - I don't think he really believes that). I'm pretty sure inflation would eat up these gains very quickly, and the nominal increase would quickly become universal.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2005, 12:52:16 AM »

a 15 Dollar minimum wage likely would not (by creating mass inflation and everybody ending up more or less where they started.)

No, the 'inflation' would be universal, the wage hike to fund it would be concentrated. The people receiving minimum wage would indeed be 'better off.'
No. Only in Opebo's mind (well, what the consensus describes as Opebo's mind - I don't think he really believes that). I'm pretty sure inflation would eat up these gains very quickly, and the nominal increase would quickly become universal.

I really believe that an increase in the minimum wage would only have a small effect on inflation, and that it would materially benefits the lower wage worker relative to others.

What, you don't think minimum wages laws have any beneficial effect in Europe for the poor?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2005, 12:53:59 AM »

Yes, they do. (Where they exist. There's no minimum wage in Germany.)
A sudden increase by, what, 100-odd percent? would not, though.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2005, 12:55:59 AM »

Actually I would prefer there to be no minimum wage, but instead a super-generous welfare state, from which employers could only lure workers by offering $15/hour wages, pleasant working conditions, etc.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2005, 01:33:55 AM »

Actually I would prefer there to be no minimum wage, but instead a super-generous welfare state, from which employers could only lure workers by offering $15/hour wages, pleasant working conditions, etc.

That would not be very benficial to you if actually enacted.  Do you support the worker while you are here or just as an expat?   
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2005, 01:39:53 AM »

That would not be very benficial to you if actually enacted.  Do you support the worker while you are here or just as an expat?   

I doubt that it would harm me much.  I don't really mind the current system of extreme inequality, but I am continually amazed that the majority continue to vote for it, and against their own interests.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies