Describe the political views of your parents.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:20:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Describe the political views of your parents.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Describe the political views of your parents.  (Read 5225 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2017, 12:31:35 AM »

Father: Mostly a Chamber of Commerce-type Republican. He came of age during the Reagan era and sees himself mostly as a Reagan Republican. For some odd reason, he practically worships JFK and thinks JFK would be a conservative Republican today. He was raised by a very rigidly Catholic mother and seems to have adjusted to avoiding discussion of religion for the most part, though he is practicing.

Mother: Raised as an old-school rust belt blue collar Catholic Democrat. Her side of my family has drifted in all sorts of directions in recent decades, though my Mom is pretty much a straight ticket Republican voter these days because of abortion. Despite having a graduate degree herself and working full time, she has a certain disdain for feminism. She's not really a fiscal conservative and only has defined political views on a handful of issues.

My views have slowly evolved over the years to resemble my mom's rather than my dad's, though I am more socially conservative than either most of the time.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2017, 12:19:32 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2017, 12:28:31 PM by Torie »

My parents were both rather typical upper middle class GOP WASPS (thus more or less in the moderate wing of the GOP as it was understood then), although my mother was more ideological, and more bellicose in foreign policy - a classic neocon in today's parlance. My Dad was more sophisticated and cosmopolitan when it came to social issues, I think in part due to growing up in NYC, and then around the time I was born, working in the entertainment industry in LA, and being exposed to all kinds of people (and having to deal with first hand, and mitigate (like checking with restaurants that their serving a black would not cause a problem), the racial discrimination that Nat King Cole endured, who was one of the recording artists for the company for whom he worked). Yes, our views tend to be shaped by our personal experiences, as mine continue to be shaped now living in Hudson (yes, all my conversations tend to lead to Hudson eventually don't they?  Tongue). My mother grew up in Davenport, Iowa - a most provincial place, then and now.

Starting sometime in high school, both my parents usually followed my advice as to how to vote. So for about 20 years, I basically controlled three votes, mine, and my parents. They tended to trust my judgment, and respected my expertise. Yes, I know, that sounds weird and unusual, but that is the way it was.

I think both my parents, but particularly my Dad, would have followed my evolution out of the Pub party, and into the zone of political anomie, with a disdain for both parties, attended by the decline of political discourse, and political talent, and the collapse of journalism And it has been just awful.

And now we have hit bottom in the era of Trump v Clinton. Sad
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2017, 05:46:42 PM »

My father is a Huckabee/Santorum type conservative, my mother is a Pataki/Collins type Republican, although my mother has been moving leftward in recent years.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »

Same as mine.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2017, 07:29:58 PM »

Mother: Standard Massachusetts liberal, supported Obama in '08 primary, was undecided in '16 primary.

Father: Views are much harder to pin down, and seem to simply be anti-establishment. Voted Obama in '08 general election, but abstained in 2012. Voted Trump in 2016 and regretted it immediately after.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2017, 07:37:41 PM »

Dad: Standard New York Jewish liberal. Big emphasis on civil rights/LGBT rights. Donates to a lot of such organizations. Last time he voted for the person who didn't eventually win the Democratic primary was Bill Bradley in 2000.

Mom: Despite being from a Phoenix suburb, another hardcore liberal. Voted for HRC in '08 and '16. Voted for Barry Commoner in 1980, notably.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2017, 09:23:09 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2017, 08:29:29 AM by DC Al Fine »

Dad: Standard Reagan era conservative. Fiscally and socially conservative, and a hawk to boot Loved Bush, liked Romney a lot. He likes to complain about how the changing political divide is leaving him behind.

Mom: Not very politically aware, but I guess she'd be a Christian Democrat if she was. Centre to centre left on economics, but the only political issue she's passionate about is abortion.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2017, 08:51:42 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2017, 08:56:29 PM by Technocratic Timmy »

Dad: He's Bernie Sanders basically; except he loves the Democratic Party and will always vote straight ticket for them. Both of his parents were staunch Democrats and the Kennedy name is almost sacred to him.

Mom: Liberal Democrat with some libertarian leanings. Her parents were conservative Republicans so her first vote was for Reagan in 1984. She voted for Ross Perot in 92' and 96' and the only Republican she liked this time around was Rand Paul. She's been a straight ticket Democrat since 98'/2000 and hates Trump.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »

center-left
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2017, 09:18:05 PM »

They're both pretty close to where I stand, though their views on things like taxes are more quintessentially middle-class than I'd prefer them to be, and they're also more libertarian on a couple of social issues. In terms of attitudes to politics, my mom tends to be more passionate and idealistic while my dad is something of a contrarian.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2017, 12:14:36 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2017, 12:17:56 AM by Siren »

Dad is conservative on financial policy, especially business, banks, and wallstreet.  However, he does believe in progressive taxation and having a safety net for the poor.  He is moderate to liberal on most traditional social issues but not some of the "new" social issues like privacy w/r/t homeland security and stuff.

Don't know my mom, but the image in my head is of an amazing trail blazer of a woman who was way better than me in pretty much every way.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2017, 12:28:43 AM »

Dad: Pretty conservative across the board, though he seems to be developing more libertarian leanings recently. For example, when he lived in Washington he voted against legalizing marijuana, but he lives in California now and voted to legalize it last year. He has voted Republican his entire life, with the exeption of 2016 where he voted for Johnson.

Mom: Seems to be liberal, at least for the most party, though she is much more personality focused than personality focused. She doesn't vote, Bush Jr. is her favorite president that she's lived under, she likes Bernie Sanders, and Trump being President legitimately scares her.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2017, 01:22:40 AM »

Dad: Strongly Conservative, Abortion is the most important issue. Less Establishment
Mom: Strongly Conservative, though less involved. Abortion is the most important issue. More Establishment
Aunt (strong influence on me): Establishment republican. Very conservative. Notably joined the trump train when bush dropped out
Uncle: Bernie sanders supporting and  social conservative.mainly  Apathetic about social values.
Grandparents: good old fashioned union democrats. Never voted for a Republican in their life and unswayed by Donald Trump. Extremely liberal economically.
Rjjr77
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2017, 08:40:22 PM »

Dad- Classic Republican, economic issues based, taxes and guns are his two big wedge issues.
Mom- liberal elitist, but she'd never admit it. Not a radical.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2017, 10:39:20 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2017, 10:45:00 AM by Chairman (with limited role) of the 2020 Trump campaign »

In terms of the categories used on ontheissues.org, I'd describe my mother as a populist-leaning liberal (leftist on economic and foreign policy issues, mixed on social issues), and my father as a centrist or maybe a moderate conservative.

My mother is a Green/Left supporter. A long time ago, my father used to be a FDP sympathizer up until Guido Westerwelle became party chairman (ca. 2001). I guess nowadays you could characterize him as a CDU-as-the-least-evil type with perhaps the SPD as a second preference.

If I were to rank my parents and me on economic issues it would look like this (from left to right):

Mum - Me - Dad.

If I were to rank us on social issues it would look like this (from liberal to conservative):

Me - Mum - Dad.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »

Dad: CoC Reagan Republican who has not liked any President since Clinton. Was devastated Romney lost and hates new direction of party
Mom: Doesn't care, to the left of my dad but to the right of me
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2017, 01:34:29 PM »

Horrible
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2017, 02:06:27 PM »

Dad:

Believes everything Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh tell him.

Mom:

Pretty liberal, and pays little to no attention to politics.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2017, 08:32:01 PM »

Dad: Basically has the same political views as me except he is more liberal on taxes  while more conservative socially then me .

Mom : Not Political
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2017, 10:41:26 PM »

My mom: apolitical, but generally supportive of the left. A registered Democrat.

My dad: hardcore union guy. Struck a handful of times before I was born. A registered Democrat. Big Clinton supporter.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2017, 12:50:29 PM »

Dad: Business conservative, lifelong Republican. More moderate on social issues.

Mom: Once an apolitical Nixon Republican, then a Bill Clinton Democrat. Moderate enough to swing vote; she had a good first impression of Rubio, although the man behind the mask has been exposed, and thinks the clinton email scandal is a serious issue. However she thinks the biggest problem with government and business is corruption at the top, rich people need to stop getting richer and pay their fair share.

Update:

Dad: Business conservative, lifelong Republican. More moderate on social issues, including being strongly pro-choice. Voted for Clinton. Republican enough to defend Trump on other issues though.

Mom: Bill Clinton Democrat who didn't like Hillary Clinton. Has started watching Rachel Maddow now that Trump's president. Says that Bernie would've won.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2017, 02:09:19 PM »

Dad: Pretty conservative across the board, though he seems to be developing more libertarian leanings recently. For example, when he lived in Washington he voted against legalizing marijuana, but he lives in California now and voted to legalize it last year. He has voted Republican his entire life, with the exeption of 2016 where he voted for Johnson.

Mom: Seems to be liberal, at least for the most party, though she is much more personality focused than personality focused. She doesn't vote, Bush Jr. is her favorite president that she's lived under, she likes Bernie Sanders, and Trump being President legitimately scares her.

I mean, I would vote against weed in WA sand for it in CA. In WA, the people there already acted high all the time.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2017, 06:59:28 PM »

Meh, both are moderate conservatives for the most part.

Still true for my Dad, but my mother despises Trump with a passion, especially on climate and education policy, and apparently is a big fan of The Young Turks now (!).  I didn't know many people over 30 watch it.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2017, 10:56:39 PM »

Meh, both are moderate conservatives for the most part.

Still true for my Dad, but my mother despises Trump with a passion, especially on climate and education policy, and apparently is a big fan of The Young Turks now (!).  I didn't know many people over 30 watch it.
Your mom's gonna be an Elizabeth Warren delegate to the DNC in 2020. I guarantee it. Tongue
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2017, 06:13:26 PM »

Father: Ultra-conservative, very hawkish, loved George W. Bush, hated Obama, sorta loves Trump but doesn't like him as much as Dubya.

Mother: Conservative, but not as conservative as my dad. She's pro-gun control, but is very passionate about abortion (she was nearly aborted as a child). She's a bit skeptical of Trump, but still voted for him.

My sister is apolitical, so this makes me the most liberal of my direct family.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies