Mideast Region name change discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:49:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Region name change discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mideast Region name change discussion  (Read 1457 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: May 29, 2005, 06:06:43 PM »

I've been toying with the idea of changing the name of the Mideast Region, based on a few things:

1. Mideast isn't really a word.  Even if it was, it's not as generally accepted as 'Midwest', which is its obvious counterpart.

2. It sounds a little like 'Middle East', which is a fairly uncomfortable association. Sad

3. It's a pretty clumsy name at best.

So, I'm planning a proposition to change the name of the region.  Unfortunately, there aren't really any clear alternative names, so I'm asking for people to propose their own ideas.  I've already thought of a few:

1. Central Region: Based on the fact that the region contains DC, the center of government, and a couple of states that are located in roughly the center of the country.  This is my personal favorite.

2. Great Lakes Region: The trouble with this one is that many of the Mideastern states aren't actually near the Lakes.

3. Eastern Region: Kind of conflicts with the fact that its not actually as Eastern as the Northeast and Southeast. Sad

Anyway, please feel free to post your own ideas on this.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 06:10:48 PM »

Actually Mideast is a word but it is usually used to describe the Middle East or the Islamic World.

OK, but it sure doesn't sound like a proper word, and it still backs up my second point about why its a bad name! Wink
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 07:21:51 PM »

I thought of that one too, but it falls down in the same way as 'Great Lakes Region', in that its only specific to a few of the states.  I mean, would you consider Missouri and Wisconsin to be Mid-Atlantic states?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 07:56:15 PM »

I thought of that one too, but it falls down in the same way as 'Great Lakes Region', in that its only specific to a few of the states.  I mean, would you consider Missouri and Wisconsin to be Mid-Atlantic states?

Very well, how about "The Extra Region."

Or "The Land With No Name" Wink
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 11:32:04 AM »

If the Southeast every gets Virginia in, the Confederate States of Atlasia should be their name.
Yes!

LOL, you're funny, Preston.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 11:36:40 AM »

OK here are the possible names that I'm willing to consider so far:

Central Region
Mid-Atlantic Region
Great Lakes Region
Central Atlantic
North Central
Northeast Central

The option of keeping it the same will also be on the ballot.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 07:10:19 AM »

I'm not exactly sure that there will be a ballot.  So far the interest in this idea from other Mideast citizens hasn't exactly been enthusiastic.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies