The Judicial Branch (Supreme Court) PASSED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:56:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Judicial Branch (Supreme Court) PASSED
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: The Judicial Branch (Supreme Court) PASSED  (Read 22482 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 10:30:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I like the idea that Truman suggested, but it does create some degree of concern for how you organize the rotation and the ability to serve in other offices during time not on the bench. Perhaps six month rotations instead of four.

I also like Blair's idea. As an alternative, we could assign each sitting Justice a region kind of like in real life with the appeals courts gets a Supreme Court Justice assigned to it, and if a region wants to, they can assign their judicial capacity to said Justice and forgo a regional judicial official.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 10:47:26 PM »

[ X ] Fixed Bench
[   ] Rotating Bench
[   ] Abstain
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016, 10:54:48 PM »

[/quote]
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 11:35:02 PM »

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2016, 11:46:54 PM »

I encourage everyone who has even a vague idea about making a change to the Court to speak up

I suppose I have vague ideas, but not really anything substantive yet.

Finding some way to increase the number of cases would be great, but I'm also unsure on how to do it. Perhaps involving GM activity? That would probably open the door to controversy, not that that would be entirely bad.

I'd be open to some sort of radical change here, as long as it would actually help matters without causing too many more problems. I likewise have no objection to simply accepting the status quo with a minor tweak or two and then carrying on to the next topic.

How would you envision the GM activity lead to more court activity?
pikachu
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2016, 12:22:10 AM »

[ X ] Fixed Bench
[   ] Rotating Bench
[   ] Abstain
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 01:05:02 AM »

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 04:31:13 AM »

x Rotating
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2016, 12:38:14 PM »

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2016, 08:03:50 PM »

X Fixed

How would you envision the GM activity lead to more court activity?

Not entirely sure. Perhaps by creating cases for them to argue?

It was merely a seed of an idea I was floating out there for someone to water should they choose to, if you're following my metaphor.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 09:49:43 AM »

[ X ] Fixed Bench
[   ] Rotating Bench
[   ] Abstain
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 12:49:32 PM »

Fixed Bench
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 02:47:09 PM »

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 04:32:12 PM »

[X] Fixed

Why not have each region choose an associate justice who also doubles up as their head judge, and the president and the senate and president choose the chief justice and 1 associate justice.  Not only would you give more influence to regional legislatures and governors, you'd have a 5 seat supreme court leading to more interesting decisions, more possibility of dissents, and you'd have one less judge overall, so still a reduction in offices.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 04:38:08 PM »

Rotating Bench
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2016, 05:02:15 PM »

Fixed
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 05:53:13 PM »

Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2016, 07:38:52 PM »

Why not have each region choose an associate justice who also doubles up as their head judge, and the president and the senate and president choose the chief justice and 1 associate justice.  Not only would you give more influence to regional legislatures and governors, you'd have a 5 seat supreme court leading to more interesting decisions, more possibility of dissents, and you'd have one less judge overall, so still a reduction in offices.

I like this idea. Any thoughts/alternate opinions on this?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2016, 03:55:10 PM »

I like this idea. Any thoughts/alternate opinions on this?

It's similar to the proposal elsewhere of having Legislatures double up on being a lower House. In terms of keeping regions important and ensuring they have access to seasoned talent, I like the idea of allowing judicial minds to serve on the Court and serve their region.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2016, 08:39:55 PM »

RESULTS - Principle Vote on the Supreme Court Bench
Fixed Bench     (15) ✓
Rotating Bench (4)
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2016, 09:01:47 PM »

Here's my two cents on Bore's proposal:

1) The Convention has already voted to vest the power of appointing the Supreme Court in the presidency (the margin of this vote was 18-0). I'm not comfortable in overturning the result of that vote, even partially, unless there is a broad consensus to do so.

2) Assuming such a consensus exists, I worry that this measure would disrupt the balance of power both within the federal government and between the central authority and the Regions. Keep in mind that we have already given the Regions full jurisdiction to regulate elections for the Senate. If a majority of the Court is appointed by the Regions, there would be no institution with the ability to maintain federal authority against Regional assault (other than the presidency, whose actions the Court could simply overrule). In general, I'm fully supportive of devolution and have voted for it in the past. In this case, however, I worry that we would be weakening the central government to the point where the political process is just as imbalanced as it is now, only with the opposite slant.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2016, 09:57:40 PM »

I tend to agree on the balance of power thing. I wish it weren't that way, because I really like bore's idea - especially how it eliminates additional offices in effect.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2016, 04:59:25 AM »

Regarding the principle vote on giving Supreme Court appointing power to the President, 1) that was before this proposal, so I think it's fair to let the delegates take a second look at the matter with this in mind, and 2) that vote was "to appoint the justices of the Supreme Court with the advice and consent of the Senate"--the argument could be made that it didn't necessarily mean all the justices, although I much prefer my first argument regarding the new information.

Regarding the balance of power, I'm not sure how much stock I put into this. What could 3 regional justices do to ruin the country? Obviously they'd look out for their region, and regions in general, but I doubt 3 justices would do something to mess up Atlasia for everyone just for the temporary gain their region could receive.

Now, I'm not saying there aren't negatives to the Bore Plan. But I think the positives outweigh them:

-It increases the number of justices on the court. This will make it more interesting, but also more fair. This is unarguably a positive in a vacuum.

-It decreases the total number of offices! This is also, obviously, a good thing in a vacuum. This is probably the only plan that decreases the total number of offices yet increases the number of Supreme Court justices--it's a voodoo judiciary!

-It adds a level of importance to the regions, not to mention a level of representation. This will help to ensure that regions will never be robbed of their right to (within Constitutional reason) govern themselves. It will add an extra perk of being Governor, and of being the regional judicial authority (we call it the Judicial Overlord down in the South, but I know it has different names in different places).

It's Truman's call, but I think we should bring the Bore Plan up to a principle vote. And this is the call of every delegate at this Convention, but I think we should vote in favor of this plan.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2016, 08:28:14 PM »

Well the thing is the Supreme Court pretty much has veto power over everything. In terms of power it can nuke both federal and regional governments whenever it wants. At the moment, speaking in terms of balance of powers (which I would rather not, because I'm not convinced that's an atlasia problem, I think it's a real life problem which is read into atlasia) the federal government controls this most powerful of offices and could nuke the region if it wanted. My proposal would lend some balance to proceedings.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2016, 08:36:34 PM »

A work-around:

Have the Governor nominate judges, the regional legislatures vote for approval, but the President will have the power of vetoing the justice and asking for their resignation. For the chief justice, the President will nominate him or her, the federal legislature approves it, and any two governors can veto it. The chief justice is accountable to the regions. It's possible the chief justice doesn't need the governors to be able to veto it, but otherwise it could be hated by Governors.

There! No need to overturn or retry the principle vote,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies