The Judicial Branch (Supreme Court) PASSED (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:09:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Judicial Branch (Supreme Court) PASSED (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Judicial Branch (Supreme Court) PASSED  (Read 22792 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: March 03, 2016, 08:36:34 PM »

A work-around:

Have the Governor nominate judges, the regional legislatures vote for approval, but the President will have the power of vetoing the justice and asking for their resignation. For the chief justice, the President will nominate him or her, the federal legislature approves it, and any two governors can veto it. The chief justice is accountable to the regions. It's possible the chief justice doesn't need the governors to be able to veto it, but otherwise it could be hated by Governors.

There! No need to overturn or retry the principle vote,
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 07:18:43 PM »

I offer the following counter-proposal (essentially a mixture of Bore's plan and Kingpoleon's idea).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If Bore is willing to withdraw his proposal, we could hold a principle vote on this sometime this weekend.

Regional Justices would be: Nominated by region's executive > Confirmed by regional assembly > Agreed to/Vetoed by President.

Chief Justice would be: Nominated by President > Confirmed by Senate > Agreed to/Vetoed By Governors

Associate Justice would be: Nominated by President > Confirmed by Senate

Three steps involve the President, two involve the Senate, two involve the Governors, and one involves regional assemblies. It's the ultimate balance of power, as the Chief Justice represents everyone, the Regional Justices represent the regions, and the Associate Justice represents the federal government.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 08:10:45 PM »

Yeah, I'm happy with Kingpoleon's proposal. Although maybe I'd just leave the chief justice to the president without a regional veto.

Anyway I think to some extent gridlock can be seen as a feature and not a bug. Elections happen often enough that they won't last for that long and a gridlock would also give a campaign issue for a multitude of elections.

As it seems I've worked okay on bore's plan, I would gladly help anyone confused or anyone, such as Leinad, who wants to tinker with the Bore-Kingpoleon Plan.

I really don't like bypassing the Governor or Assembly on their regional legal leader. I'm afraid my way is the only way not to do that while still using bore's plan. I think that the Chief Justice should be able to recuse other justices and preside over cases, if we want powers for it.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 09:20:46 PM »

I could get behind Kingpoleon's plan if we remove the gubernatorial veto of the Chief Justice. That seems to me to be an unnecessary complication of what would already be a very decentralized process. Clearly, the Regions should have some say in selecting the Justices who will preside over their courts, but Justices whose duties are wholly federal in nature should be selected by federal officials.
Very well. I hereby remove the gubernatorial veto, as suggested by bore and Truman.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 05:42:12 PM »

Pikachu makes a great point. I think the best way to do this is to incorporate the Senate into the proceedings.

How about this:

The Bore-Kingpoleon-Truman-Leinad Plan:

Chief Justice: appointed by the President, confirmed by the Senate.
Federal Associate Justice: appointed by the President, confirmed by the Senate.
Regional Associate Justices: appointed by the Governor of said region, and confirmed by at least two of the following: the President, the Senate, and the Legislature of said region.

The Senate and Regional Legislature could hold a joint confirmation hearing, and then each of them can separately vote on it. If both agree, the nominee is confirmed/rejected, and if it's split, the President decides.

This way gives the Senate a say, and it requires approval from either the executive or legislature of both the Federal and Regional governments, but none of them could hold the process hostage without the help of another.

The point: there needs to be a way to ensure they're vetted by both the Federal and Regional governments, because their job requires expertise in both. If someone has a better plan to do this and still retain Bore's original idea, I'll gladly move this one aside!

But until then, I'd like for Truman to include this plan in the principle vote.

I originally wanted the Senate to do this, but it sounded too complex so I never did.

With the PO and his Deputy agreeing to that, may I suggest the Senate can override the Presidential veto? This way, the Senate may hold hearings on it if the President believes it necessary(I. E. their personal judgment as to the regional questionings of the nominee). That way, it's not always so complex.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 04:18:15 PM »

Thank you, delegates, for the victory of Plan C.

As far as Justices go, I believe plan one is okay, if Windjammer could accept Associate Justice. However, shouldn't the other two require confirmation by their regional legislatures/Governor? It would set a bad precedent for them to be accepted. I would not mind offering to let them decide if they would be willing to do it for the sake of democracy and adherence to the Constitution.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »

Should the Justices elect a Chief Justice from one of the two Associate Justices? Or should it be by appointment?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 09:11:16 PM »

I'd ask that we have the regional assemblies confirm the regional justices the Convention chooses. Personally, I think bore deserves a spot on the Court since he did invent the current plan.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 12:05:02 AM »

Wait, did the convention actually adopt my idea of having the associate judges ride circuit as chief judicial officer in their regions? If so, bravo!

Or did someone else have that idea before me? Looking at the thread I see bore proposed something similar. Either way, I appear to be the first to connect this to the idea of sitting in circuit. I humbly request my name be entered in the record as having contributed at this stage. Cheesy

The Bore-Kingpoleon-Truman-Leinad-Simfan plan! Tongue

It was a team effort. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to credit you with an assist as well.

Uh, neither Truman nor Leinad had their contributions finalized, and I don't think Bore knew of Simfan's plan. Tongue

In all seriousness, while I did do the final touches, the credit really just goes to Bore and maybe Simfan.

As for the current vote, I can't support any Justice becoming the regional judicial boss without passing the Assembly and Governor.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 01:11:05 PM »

I would have voted NOTA and had an exhausted ballot, simply because we don't have a way to confirm them for regional justices. I encourage all to vote NOTA until that part is worked out.

It seems some might have NOTA as sore losers of which one we picked, also. I suggest we fix  this to have them confirmed as regional justices.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 04:02:05 PM »

I ask the delegates find a way to confirm the current Associate Justices as regional ones.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 07:41:56 PM »

If this Convention is a bust, a good person would easily crush the Constitution it creates. However, if is not, this defeatist federalist attitude is only dragging it down. Those such as Turkisblau have betrayed Atlasia before, and now they want our trust. An iron fist here is holding us strongly here, and we need it to let go. Mr. President, you pledged to end this Convention fast. Now, you are holding it back. Do you want a quick rush so you can have great power, or do you want a good document upheld by the delegates here?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies