The Judicial Branch (Supreme Court) PASSED (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:17:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Judicial Branch (Supreme Court) PASSED (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Judicial Branch (Supreme Court) PASSED  (Read 22803 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: February 22, 2016, 12:59:43 AM »

The Supreme Court is the guardian of last resort for constitutional government and the freedoms enshrined therein. I trust that just like in 2013, people will come to their senses and oppose base attempts to induce partisan and factional interests into the jurisprudence of the high court. I too would like a more active and involved court, but I would prefer that its independence be strictly guarded.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 03:35:15 AM »

Aside from Opebo, who is long gone, the longest any person has been on the court is two years, though bgwah is creeping towards 4 (only two of which have been in his current position though). 

Since Opebo's banning we have had 3 vacancies in the space of under two years. I don't think there has ever been a situation where the judges have been partial or baised based on political influence and considering we have had a liberal court since Bullmoose left in 2009, that says a lot both about the structure and about the types of Justices we have had.

We have had problems with activity and that is 1) a problem because there was a lack of accountability and we fixed that problem. 2) because of a lack of cases and I am interesting in hearing proposals to change that, particularly what Blair has in mind.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 10:30:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I like the idea that Truman suggested, but it does create some degree of concern for how you organize the rotation and the ability to serve in other offices during time not on the bench. Perhaps six month rotations instead of four.

I also like Blair's idea. As an alternative, we could assign each sitting Justice a region kind of like in real life with the appeals courts gets a Supreme Court Justice assigned to it, and if a region wants to, they can assign their judicial capacity to said Justice and forgo a regional judicial official.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 04:52:30 AM »

Third Convention - lasted two seasons, had no direction and people disagreed and never resolved those disagreements. Didn't even draft a final product.

Fourth Convention - Lasted two/three months (IIRC), everybody agreed, little was changed. Final product became the third constitution.

Granted, I didn't expect nine months either, but conditions in which we are operating and the differences that need to be settled to succeed, means that a shorter one probably would not have passed a successful product.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies