Would Webb be the perfect VP choice for a Bloomberg run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:46:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Would Webb be the perfect VP choice for a Bloomberg run?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would Webb be the perfect VP choice for a Bloomberg run?  (Read 909 times)
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2016, 06:14:28 PM »
« edited: February 22, 2016, 06:16:15 PM by AltWorlder »

Not that Bloomberg is going to run, but if he did (against Trump and Sanders- do not consider this scenario if Rubio or Hillary are nominated).

• Already considered running as an independent. (Though rejected it)
  • Balances the ticket very well (Bloomberg is northern, wealthy, business magnate, Jewish; Webb is southern, more working class, Vietnam veteran, WASP)
  • Both are already on the moderate-fringes of the party (Bloomberg is a Rockefeller-RINO type, Webb is pretty Blue Dog), but in a way more mainstream than Sanders or Trump.
  • Can appeal to the status quo, older, white, male demographic (establishment Republicans, conservative Democrats who can't stomach Trump). So essentially a pseudo-bipartisan unity ticket.

On the other hand the two cancel each other out on gun control, among other issues. Who else would be good for Bloomberg?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 06:17:15 PM »

It'd be completely incoherent and incredibly low energy.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 06:23:55 PM »

Incoherence works when faced with the already incoherent populism of Trump, and the extreme (for American audiences) retro-New Deal social democracy of Sanders, though. Both running mates just need to be mainstream enough to be vaguely socially liberal, fiscally conservative, ultra-moderate to appeal to people alarmed by the other two.

Agreed that it'd be low energy, but then who would be better, and willing, to run with Bloomberg? Nader?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 06:24:38 PM »

I've always seen Webb as more likely a Sanders pick. Personally, I think Angus King would be a better Bloomberg VP.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 06:29:02 PM »

No
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 06:32:14 PM »

Considering that Bloomberg's options for decent picks would be pretty limited if he chose to run, I could see it happening. I mean, it wouldn't be that great or anything. I just think it's a possibility.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 06:33:34 PM »

I just thought there was nice symmetry in terms of how they're geographically and social class/background-wise opposite to each other.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 06:38:13 PM »

Nope. "Best" choice (among people who'd be willing and would stay on message) would probably be a youngish, black business-friendly Democrat, like Cory Booker, Adrian Fenty or Harold Ford.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 06:43:25 PM »

Bloomberg and Webb are both on the fringes of the party, but in the exact opposite way!  Bloomberg is pro-business, pro-wall street, pro-free trade, anti-gun, very liberal on social issues while Webb is anti-establishment, protectionist, anti-wall street, obviously very pro-gun, conservative on social issues.

You balance the ticket by picking someone that you like but that is different than you in terms of race, experience, gender, etc, and maybe a little bit ideology but not a ridiculous unworkable gulf.  Picking someone within the party with exact opposite views doesn't happen anymore, it's not a smoke-filled room where party bosses pick VPs nowadays.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »

You would think that Webb would be against being Bloomberg's VP solely on principle, but I could see him agreeing to it just for the attention and ego boost.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 06:47:34 PM »

Idealogical balance as a concept is stupid as hell. You really, really don't want the person who should act as your proxy to disagree with you so overwhelmingly. The gun control issue makes this ticket a non-starter.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 07:02:06 PM »

I just thought there was nice symmetry in terms of how they're geographically and social class/background-wise opposite to each other.

You're right. It is a nice geographical ticket. Bloomberg/Webb could be a slam dunk in the fall if both parties disappoint.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 07:51:04 PM »

You're right. It is a nice geographical ticket. Bloomberg/Webb could be a slam dunk in the fall if both parties disappoint.

I would vote for such a ticket, but it's not going to happen.

Webb, by the way, would be an excellent running mate for Donald Trump.  The problem there would be that he would be rejoining the party he left and the GOP probably wouldn't have Webb AND Trump on the same ticket.  That would leave nothing for loyal Republicans.  But it would be a winner.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies