Why Trump could legitamately do well with African-American voters.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:45:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why Trump could legitamately do well with African-American voters.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Poll
Question: What percentage of African-American voters do you think would go to Trump?
20%+

19%

18%

17%

16%

15%

14%

13%

12%

11% (The percentage Bush got against Kerry)

10%

9%

8%

7%

6% (The percentage Romney got against Obama)

5%

4%

3%

Purple heart%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 244

Author Topic: Why Trump could legitamately do well with African-American voters.  (Read 12489 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2016, 01:55:27 PM »

It is obvious now that Trump will not do better among African Americans than previous Republicans, and may in fact do worse.

From a Republican perspective though, it was worth a shot. Their percentage of the Black vote was already a statistically insignificant part of the overall electorate, so they had nothing to lose by trying something new.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »

I think the evidence is overwhelming that Trump is going to do as badly as McCain did among African American voters.
If not worse.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2016, 02:49:56 PM »

Trump at 3% (and behind Johnson) among blacks in the latest Pew poll:

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2016, 02:50:22 PM »

I would say low of 2% high of 5%.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2016, 09:31:06 PM »

It is obvious now that Trump will not do better among African Americans than previous Republicans, and may in fact do worse.

From a Republican perspective though, it was worth a shot. Their percentage of the Black vote was already a statistically insignificant part of the overall electorate, so they had nothing to lose by trying something new.

But the idea that all it would take for the Republicans to win more black votes is adopt an anti-free trade stance was kind of hilarious.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2016, 09:32:01 PM »

But the idea that all it would take for the Republicans to win more black votes is adopt an anti-free trade stance was kind of hilarious.

Protectionism certainly doesn't hurt with Black voters however.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2016, 09:35:37 PM »

It only "doesn't hurt" because Republicans get an insignificant percentage of the black vote already.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2016, 10:49:35 PM »

It only "doesn't hurt" because Republicans get an insignificant percentage of the black vote already.

Basically nothing the Republicans could do would hurt them with the black vote since they can't really get that much lower.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2016, 10:06:51 PM »

Revising my prediction to 1-2%
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2016, 10:28:40 PM »

Anecdotal of course, but I've put in a lot of canvassing shifts now, strictly in African American neighborhoods and I have yet to find a single African American Trump supporter. Since we are doing targeted outreach, we don't get every house but the mood is basically saturated with disgust of Trump. The few times I've asked, the people didn't seem to know any supporters in the neighborhood either.

I'm sure they exist, but I'd be very surprised if he does better than McCain or at least Romney.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2016, 10:40:23 PM »

Trump likes affirmative action?  I had no idea.  And libs are comparing him to David Duke? 
This is one of those things we have to hold our nose over as we cast our ballot for the Donald.  If it's true, which it may not be.  Or maybe Trump evolved away from that position.
hopper
United States

« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2016, 03:23:51 PM »

No its not an insignificant part of the electorate. The Black Vote won Obama Virginia, and Ohio in 2012 and maybe Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2016, 08:42:27 AM »

From the new Morning Consult poll:

Trump’s in 4th place with blacks:
Clinton 82%
Johnson 6%
Stein 5%
Trump 4%
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2016, 08:47:01 AM »

From the new Morning Consult poll:

Trump’s in 4th place with blacks:
Clinton 82%
Johnson 6%
Stein 5%
Trump 4%

Wow, Hillary is 10% points worse than Obama in 2012.

OnTopic. My guess was 5%, might still be true (if D blacks turnout is depressed).
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »

You were exactly right. (I voted 8% too)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »

A lot of those polls having Trump in 3rd and 4th place were accurate. There were many precincts and several of the wards in DC with black majorities where Trump was 3rd behind Johnson or Stein or outright last.

Trump was able to siphon some black male votes from Hillary. She got the overwhelming majority but she collapsed among black men under 50. Older black males (50+/Civil Rights era) was the only group where she matched Obama.

And of course you had lower black turnout + black Republicans defecting back after Obama.

I believe Trump will do historically bad in 2020. He did the worst among GOP candidates running against a white candidate since Goldwater. I can see Biden obliterating him in a fashion comparable to LBJ or Obama 2012.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2017, 07:55:02 PM »

You were exactly right. (I voted 8% too)

Shocked
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies