Harris or Booker are the front runners for the D's in 2020/2024 after tonight
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:24:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Harris or Booker are the front runners for the D's in 2020/2024 after tonight
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harris or Booker are the front runners for the D's in 2020/2024 after tonight  (Read 3092 times)
mufc1878
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2016, 11:08:00 PM »

Virtually all ambitious Dems under the age of 60 in current state-wide office across the land will be looking at the result of SC tonight and begin to get worried.

Why?

Because Dems have been virtually wiped out in state-wide offices down south and therefore virtually all of the bench comes from the coasts/rockies/upper midwest.

Take a look at this list:

Klobuchar, Schatz, Markell, Raimondo, Gillibrand, Bennet, Murphy, Inslee, Baldwin, Merkley & Castro(s) (not state-wide, but adding them due to their name recognition). maybe kaine.

thats the dem bench ex harris/booker. none of them can win over southern blacks over a black candidate.

maybe kaine can compete but that's it.

and no, john bel edwards wont play on a national ticket
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 11:35:35 PM »

Who's Harris? Napoleon Harris?
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 12:13:22 AM »

I'm guessing Kamala.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 12:18:00 AM »

Oh. I'm a moron.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 05:39:12 PM »

thats the dem bench ex harris/booker. none of them can win over southern blacks over a black candidate.

That's a reasonable assumption about Harris and Booker with regards to the black vote. But the other candidates don't necessarily need to win the black vote; they just need to not be destroyed like Sanders was.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:20 PM »

That's a reasonable assumption about Harris and Booker with regards to the black vote. But the other candidates don't necessarily need to win the black vote; they just need to not be destroyed like Sanders was.

The eventual Democratic nominee almost always wins the black vote, so winning the black vote is a pretty good strategy if you want to win.
mufc1878
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 09:04:43 PM »

Blacks block vote.

Obama destroyed Clinton, who in turn destroyed Sanders.

No one on that bench, except for maybe Kaine, really has any connection to the black community. And blacks, especially southern blacks are becoming a greater voting block within D primaries for POTUS.

Klobuchar and Gillibrand don't have the cultural memory of HRC (due to her time in the south) to connect with this influential bloc. None on that list really do. Can you imagine those two, for example, campaigning in the south?
mufc1878
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 11:19:48 PM »

My question is why isn't Gavin Newsom included on this list?

An oversight of mine, as I was thinking about 2020 potentials (too early for newsom) but he'll be in the mix for 2024 probably.

But the thesis still holds and is even stronger after tonight. Seeing blacks break 82-18 in VA to Clinton over Sanders makes me even more confident that this is the base case.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 09:43:42 AM »

Damn, I thought of Fred R. Harris and got excited Sad
James Bond 007
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 01:28:31 AM »

Andrew Cuomo?
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 01:34:48 AM »

Most of the grassroots/Sanders base hate Cuomo with a passion, and for good reason too. I'm fairly sure there are parts of the establishment that are against Cuomo as well.
James Bond 007
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 02:38:10 AM »

Most of the grassroots/Sanders base hate Cuomo with a passion, and for good reason too. I'm fairly sure there are parts of the establishment that are against Cuomo as well.

I thought the party elders just picked someone anyways at the convention and that grassroots was irrelevant for Democrats.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies