Which would you rather have, be honest
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:16:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which would you rather have, be honest
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: A totalitarian state or democracy
totalitarian

democracy

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Which would you rather have, be honest  (Read 3809 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2005, 12:47:31 AM »
« edited: May 31, 2005, 02:23:51 AM by Senator Supersoulty »

A man walks up to you and says that he can grant you a wish, but he gets to choose what exactly your choice will be.  At first you don't believe him, but after he resurrects you bucket of KFC into a living chicken, right before your eyes, you come to believe his claim.

He promised that the question will not be one that is a no win situation.  Finally, you agree to the whole thing.

And so he asks you...

"If you had the choice between being the ruler of a dictatorship, where you will would be followed (to a point) or live in a free Democratic country, which would you choose?"

You ask him if he can elaborate for you.  He agrees.

The nation where you are a ruler will be prosperous, so long as you rule it well.  In the fields of government, law and foriegn policy, you will have total control (there might be some corruption from others, but nothing that will detract from your power too badly).  There will be people who don't like you.  They might even plot against your life, but you'll have that in every government.  You don't have total control over your people, either.  You might make laws that force them to behave as you wish, you might be able to pick up anyone and take them to bed, you might be able to have anyone killed, but you won't be able to control peoples minds and the more you act out, the more people might come to dislike you.  You can be over thrown if people don't like you, but, at least to start out with, the military favors you a lot.  If you rule well and in a benevolent manner, the peopel might come to love you and your children and their children might go on to be supreme rulers, which the same problems and temptations you would face, but also the same benefits for them and the people if they did the right things.

Of course, the democratic country is like any other democratic country it has problems and the government is often slow to act or misacts.  You would have total economic freedom and the same social freedoms that are enjoyed in Democratic states as would your children and their children and so on.  You might even become a politican or a powerful leader in this country, but things will never be exactly as you want them.  This is democracy after all.  This democracy could also crumble at anytime if its leaders do not do the right things.  Our system is a fragile one, after all.

What do you choose?

P.S.  You can't cop out of this.  Once you have the power, you can never give it up unless you are removed.  No creating a Senate, no "Constitutional Monarchy".
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 12:57:22 AM »

I'd choose to be a Dictator then I would make my country a Democracy or a Consitutional Monarchy. It is that simple.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 12:59:40 AM »

Democracy.  Even if I was the best ruler ever known, it would be entirely unsustainable: after I died, there would be a very real chance that some tyrant would come into power and rule with an iron fist.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 02:23:15 AM »

I'd choose to be a Dictator then I would make my country a Democracy or a Consitutional Monarchy. It is that simple.

Read the new disclaimer.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 02:38:07 AM »

Democracy. I don't want to be rounded up and shot a la Ceaucescu once everyone is fed up with my regime. And besides; I like the thrill of having an election every so often.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 03:32:22 AM »

Read the new disclaimer.

Oh well... Then after cursing and giving the genie a few rude hand gestures I'd change to democracy. Unless I can rule for 8 years then resign and suggest a Democracy...
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 07:17:36 AM »

Totalitarian, but only if I get to be the ruler.  The country would be prosperous beyond words.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 11:31:14 AM »

Make myself Emperor Harry of course Wink
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 12:13:46 PM »

Probably Democracy. I am always tempted to become a dictator (since I'm obviously quite evil and prone to evil actions) but well, that's just wasteful of everyone's time and dangerous.

What kind of country do you have in mind, Richius? Tongue
Libertarian dictatorship.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 01:32:29 PM »

Supreme Emperor MasterJedi (of course only if I could get the top spot Smiley )
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 01:47:56 PM »

To answer those who obviously didn't read the begining thoroughly, you are the ruler in the dictatorship, that is the point.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 01:48:59 PM »

Make myself Emperor Harry of course Wink

What is it with all of these old school references lately?  Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 02:50:31 PM »

Totalitarian, the best form of government.
WiseGuy

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 03:06:49 PM »

Democracy.  Being a dictator would be no fun as I like to debate issues.  My dream job is either a US Senator or the co-host of a show like Hannity and Colmes.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 03:39:08 PM »

Totalitarian
skybridge
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 04:50:58 PM »

A man walks up to you and says that he can grant you a wish, but he gets to choose what exactly your choice will be.  At first you don't believe him, but after he resurrects you bucket of KFC into a living chicken, right before your eyes, you come to believe his claim.

He promised that the question will not be one that is a no win situation.  Finally, you agree to the whole thing.

And so he asks you...

"If you had the choice between being the ruler of a dictatorship, where you will would be followed (to a point) or live in a free Democratic country, which would you choose?"

The nation where you are a ruler will be prosperous, so long as you rule it well.  In the fields of government, law and foriegn policy, you will have total control (there might be some corruption from others, but nothing that will detract from your power too badly).  There will be people who don't like you.  They might even plot against your life, but you'll have that in every government.  You don't have total control over your people, either.  You might make laws that force them to behave as you wish, you might be able to pick up anyone and take them to bed, you might be able to have anyone killed, but you won't be able to control peoples minds and the more you act out, the more people might come to dislike you.  You can be over thrown if people don't like you, but, at least to start out with, the military favors you a lot.  If you rule well and in a benevolent manner, the peopel might come to love you and your children and their children might go on to be supreme rulers, which the same problems and temptations you would face, but also the same benefits for them and the people if they did the right things.

Of course, the democratic country is like any other democratic country it has problems and the government is often slow to act or misacts.  You would have total economic freedom and the same social freedoms that are enjoyed in Democratic states as would your children and their children and so on.  You might even become a politican or a powerful leader in this country, but things will never be exactly as you want them.  This is democracy after all.  This democracy could also crumble at anytime if its leaders do not do the right things.  Our system is a fragile one, after all.

What do you choose?

P.S.  You can't cop out of this.  Once you have the power, you can never give it up unless you are removed.  No creating a Senate, no "Constitutional Monarchy".

So this is why you're Republican. Both options practically mean the same thing for members of that party.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 05:11:05 PM »

Tolitarian.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2005, 09:03:02 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2005, 09:04:51 PM by Senator Supersoulty »

And so he asks you...

What do you choose?

So this is why you're Republican. Both options practically mean the same thing for members of that party.

What?  I'm sorry, I guess that I assumed a certain level of intellegence in the question.  What this question is really about is whether or not you would trust youself to be a benevolent ruler with supreme power or even if you think such a thing is possible.  I'm sorry that I did not simply state the question in such a manner, but I figured that a vast majority of people on this forum would understand that and just asking that question would not have been much fun. 

Not only that, but both of my discriptions are perfectly legit.  And I did not compare them at all.  In fact, I made a point of the fact that both systems have pitfalls.  If you don't think that democratic government can have pitfalls, I suggest you take a look at Athens or Germany or even the United States of the 1820's (Andrew Jackson, "our fearless dictator", anyone?).  Why are you so offended that I point out those pitfalls?  Esspecially since you were against the Iraq War and have made anti-Bush comments?  Don't you see that as being a negative?  We did elect him, after all.

As a dictator, you can have what you want, so long as you are either benevolent or deceptive enough.  In many of our legends and movies we see "great kings".  In real life, the examples are not so great.  My question was basically asking whether or not you think you could fit the mold of a great leader, or if you know you would turn bad.  Once again, the pitfalls, both to yourself and others are obvious and I mentioned them.

So what is your problem, exactly?

P.S. I voted for democracy, BTW.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 02:01:15 AM »

Well I did not choose Democracy because I do not trust myself to rule over a country its that I can't be sure that those who replace me will able to hold my empire together. Take a look at what happen when Alexander the Great died his empire was no more because those in charge after his death were greedy and, thus, his empire was no more. I picked Democracy because it is a much better long term plan than anything else.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies