#NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:55:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45]
Author Topic: #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin  (Read 109084 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: November 10, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »

Looks like after the election was over, Toomey said that he voted for Trump:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nathanielmeyersohn/pat-toomey-i-was-not-expecting-donald-trump-to-win?utm_term=.oboxKOzlp#.wpMx9Ebdn

Will be interested to see if any of the other folks who were said to be leaning against but not firmly committed (e.g., Heller, Pataki, Rauner) ever make some kind of public comment about who they voted for.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1101 on: November 10, 2016, 02:18:27 PM »

Kasich apparently had a speech planned about the future of the party today
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1102 on: November 10, 2016, 02:23:38 PM »

Kasich apparently had a speech planned about the future of the party today

trump's narrow victory kills kasich, and in 2024 he is going to be too old to matter, i figure.

turning point of history indeed.
mencken
« Reply #1103 on: November 10, 2016, 02:30:32 PM »

Will be fascinating to see how the NeverTrumpers vote on legislation in the next Congress. While the GOP may have a Senate majority, the NeverTrumpers could unite with Democrats to form a majority against Trump.

What about in the House? Will there be 218 Representatives who endorsed/supported Trump? I have to assume so, but it won't be many more than that.

So the cocktail Republicans from the "reasonable" wing of the party are going to become complete obstructionists? (Since that is ultimately what it would take to "stand up" to a man who prides himself on his negotiating skills)
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1104 on: November 10, 2016, 02:32:54 PM »

if that trump infrastructure plan becomes reality and the freedom caucus just swallows it, america has changed massively.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1105 on: November 04, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »

*bump*

Both George Bushes admit that they did not vote for Trump:

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-blowhard-i-dont-him-and-i-voted-hillary-george-bush-says-new-book-702007

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, and Trump has responded:

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1106 on: November 05, 2017, 07:48:10 PM »

Rep. Chris Stewart (UT), while not explicitly committing to #NeverTrump, nonetheless compared Trump to Mussolini earlier this week, so I'm guessing he's not a fan:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/natemcdermott/utah-republican-on-trump-hes-our-mussolini#.swVKnv0XP

I find it quite amusing that someone who compares Trump to Mussolini thinks not voting for him in the general may be a bridge too far.

Partisanship is a hell of a drug.

This should have been the tipoff of how things would go in the end.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #1107 on: November 11, 2017, 06:03:57 PM »

He'll take plenty of us with him. The Trump Revolution was dead before it started.

Hahahaha
I still remember when just about the only people who believed Trump could win were Ann Coulter, Pat Buchanan, Steve Bannon, and myself. Oh, and a couple thousand kids with Pepe the frog avatars.

#NeverTrump was hypocritical from the start. These same people who claimed Trump violated their conservative principles had no problem supporting McCain (the guy who has now killed the Obamacare repeal and repeatedly tried to pass amnesty) or Bush (who added trillions to the debt, which funnily enough only became a problem to them when Obama did it). When Rubio betrayed his voters by going the gang of eight after promising never to support amnesty, did they attack him for betraying conservative principles? Of course not. He was praised as "electable and moderate" vs Trump being called a leftist for any criticism he made of global neoliberal capitalism, even as they helped him win over moderate working class white voters in key swing states.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1108 on: November 11, 2017, 06:29:32 PM »

He'll take plenty of us with him. The Trump Revolution was dead before it started.

Hahahaha
I still remember when just about the only people who believed Trump could win were Ann Coulter, Pat Buchanan, Steve Bannon, and myself. Oh, and a couple thousand kids with Pepe the frog avatars.

#NeverTrump was hypocritical from the start. These same people who claimed Trump violated their conservative principles had no problem supporting McCain (the guy who has now killed the Obamacare repeal and repeatedly tried to pass amnesty) or Bush (who added trillions to the debt, which funnily enough only became a problem to them when Obama did it). When Rubio betrayed his voters by going the gang of eight after promising never to support amnesty, did they attack him for betraying conservative principles? Of course not. He was praised as "electable and moderate" vs Trump being called a leftist for any criticism he made of global neoliberal capitalism, even as they helped him win over moderate working class white voters in key swing states.
Krazen please stop
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1109 on: December 25, 2017, 12:51:26 AM »

Hahahaha

Krazen please stop
#NeverTrump was/is a PERSONAL and not an IDEOLOGICAL movement.  I would think that most of the #NeverTrump crowd are reasonably happy with Trump's agenda to date.  What they hate is their own decreased influence after Trump essentially executed a Hostile Takeover of the GOP.  It's personal; political, but not ideological.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #1110 on: February 10, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »

Hahahaha

Krazen please stop
#NeverTrump was/is a PERSONAL and not an IDEOLOGICAL movement.  I would think that most of the #NeverTrump crowd are reasonably happy with Trump's agenda to date.  What they hate is their own decreased influence after Trump essentially executed a Hostile Takeover of the GOP.  It's personal; political, but not ideological.
I agree. The party elites hated that Trump was winning without kissing their rings. He was ignoring or destroying every well funded think tank and media outlet in his way and revealing that 98% of people don't care what National Review says. The institutions that got behind #NeverTrump were doing so to preserve their own power.

It seemed like they failed, but until a lot of republican in Congress lose their primaries, they can still largely direct Trump's legislative agenda into their preferred territory of tax cuts and deregulation. The "hostile takeover" of the GOP will require more than one election cycle. If it fails to materialize, the GOP is set to be stuck permanently as the minority party with a message of "We'll make the democrats transform society a little more slowly and let our donors keep their tax loopholes."
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1111 on: March 30, 2018, 08:16:39 PM »

Hahahaha

Krazen please stop
I agree. The party elites hated that Trump was winning without kissing their rings. He was ignoring or destroying every well funded think tank and media outlet in his way and revealing that 98% of people don't care what National Review says. The institutions that got behind #NeverTrump were doing so to preserve their own power.

It seemed like they failed, but until a lot of republican in Congress lose their primaries, they can still largely direct Trump's legislative agenda into their preferred territory of tax cuts and deregulation. The "hostile takeover" of the GOP will require more than one election cycle. If it fails to materialize, the GOP is set to be stuck permanently as the minority party with a message of "We'll make the democrats transform society a little more slowly and let our donors keep their tax loopholes."

The GOP has gotten much of what they wanted out of Trump in terms of legislation and appointments.  Trump will never win all of his enemies over, but the legislative successes have brought some pressure on #NeverTrump types to dial their act back.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #1112 on: March 30, 2018, 09:03:18 PM »

Hahahaha

Krazen please stop
#NeverTrump was/is a PERSONAL and not an IDEOLOGICAL movement.  I would think that most of the #NeverTrump crowd are reasonably happy with Trump's agenda to date.  What they hate is their own decreased influence after Trump essentially executed a Hostile Takeover of the GOP.  It's personal; political, but not ideological.

The GOP has gotten much of what they wanted out of Trump in terms of legislation and appointments.  Trump will never win all of his enemies over, but the legislative successes have brought some pressure on #NeverTrump types to dial their act back.

Except they haven't cut the spending which just means that people like me are going to have to pay for the budget deficits that you guys created?

Like you gotta pay for these tax cuts....
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1113 on: April 16, 2018, 09:33:25 PM »

Hahahaha

Krazen please stop
#NeverTrump was/is a PERSONAL and not an IDEOLOGICAL movement.  I would think that most of the #NeverTrump crowd are reasonably happy with Trump's agenda to date.  What they hate is their own decreased influence after Trump essentially executed a Hostile Takeover of the GOP.  It's personal; political, but not ideological.

The GOP has gotten much of what they wanted out of Trump in terms of legislation and appointments.  Trump will never win all of his enemies over, but the legislative successes have brought some pressure on #NeverTrump types to dial their act back.

Except they haven't cut the spending which just means that people like me are going to have to pay for the budget deficits that you guys created?

Like you gotta pay for these tax cuts....

The GOP wants tax cuts.  As long as they can sell the idea that "growth" will pay for the tax cuts, they'll keep doing what they're doing.

I didn't want the tax cuts.  And I don't expect the sort of "entitlement cuts" to be forthcoming.  The gap between the wealthiest and those struggling to remain in the middle class is so big now that this isn't feasible. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1114 on: April 17, 2018, 03:34:59 AM »

The Republicans will continue to push supply side tax cuts until it undeniably wrecks the economy, like with the GOP on protectionism with Smoot-Hawley.
MechaBambi
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1115 on: April 21, 2018, 05:10:22 AM »

if that trump infrastructure plan becomes reality and the freedom caucus just swallows it, america has changed massively.

hahahahahahahahahaha

As if the Republican Party was ever going to deficit-spend a trillion dollars on anything other than tax cuts.

Still, if Trump had used his election victory to browbeat Ryan and McConnell into replacing Obamacare repeal with an infrastructure package - even a watered-down one - his approval would be somewhere around 55% right now. That, to me, is a bigger illustration of his stupidity than anything else. Should've listened to Bannon.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1116 on: May 31, 2018, 10:52:04 AM »

Romney says he wrote in Ann's name in 2016:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/390003-romney-reveals-he-wrote-in-wifes-name-for-president-in-2016
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies