#NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:52:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 45
Author Topic: #NeverTrump GOP endorsements LATEST: Graham and Lee voted McMullin  (Read 110068 times)
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2016, 10:55:28 AM »

Its really interesting seeing how diverse the opposition is to Trump.  You've got some moderates, some ideological conservatives, some neocons...
That's because he doesn't embody any portion of the Republican Party platform.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2016, 10:57:46 AM »

Might hurt him a little among Republicans, but he mostly needs to stay popular among Democrats.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2016, 12:07:38 PM »

Its really interesting seeing how diverse the opposition is to Trump.  You've got some moderates, some ideological conservatives, some neocons...

This. Trump is appealing to radicals, racists, and authoritarians. Not really to anyone else.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »

Let's assume that's true - a majority of Republican voters are willing to go along with him, that much is clear.

If everyone is willing to buy that a majority of the Republican Party is radical, authoritarian, and racist, so will I.
Paleobrazilian
Brazil

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »

And now McCain (sort of):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/03/03/mccain-voters-should-think-long-and-hard-before-supporting-trump/?wpisrc=fl_powerpost
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2016, 12:47:32 PM »

Norm Coleman's turn.

http://www.startribune.com/norm-coleman-i-will-never-vote-for-donald-trump/370932321/
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »

With the exception of Baker, these are all odious pricks who have spent their careers ruining the country.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »

All of these people who don't want to make America great again will be held responsible for the next 40 years of legal abortions.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2016, 12:50:08 PM »

Who?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2016, 12:50:55 PM »

A guy who lost to an OK comedian. No wonder he doesn't like entertainers.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2016, 06:36:49 PM »

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/705821893207560192

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Harry Enten’s response:

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/705825895978635265

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2016, 05:11:20 AM »

Sasse remains the only sitting Republican Senator who has ruled out voting for Trump in the general election.  But the WaPo tried contacting every sitting Republican Senator to see where they stand on this.  More than half said that they'd support whoever the nominee was, even if they have reservations about Trump and he isn't their first choice.  But there's a significant minority who are holdouts, who haven't explicitly committed themselves to backing the party's presidential nominee no matter what.  Here's a list of possible holdouts:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/03/08/most-gop-senators-appear-ready-to-support-donald-trump-but-plenty-would-rather-not-talk-about-it/?tid=sm_tw

Explicitly ruled out supporting Trump in the GE:
Sasse

Basically said they’re undecided, as they expressed reservations about Trump:
Flake
Coats

Dodged the question:
Gardner
Risch
Kirk
Grassley
Cassidy
Collins
Burr
Graham
Alexander
Enzi

Will back Trump if he’s the nominee “unless something crazy happens”:
Portman

Weirdly said he’d vote for Trump if the nominee, but then said Sasse is probably right about Trump:
Inhofe

Listed as “Undecided”, but WaPo doesn’t provide details:
Murkowski
Moran
Vitter
Cochran
Lankford
Scott
Corker
Lee

Didn’t get back to the WaPo for this story, so no idea what they think:
Cotton
Daines
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2016, 10:55:23 AM »

So if a Republican runs third party, is it closer to 1912 or 1980?
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2016, 11:03:08 AM »

So if a Republican runs third party, is it closer to 1912 or 1980?
1980.  I doubt it will do much.  I think it will be more of the middle class Republicans who join the establishment faction.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2016, 04:25:58 PM »

I'm on board with #NeverTrump.

As a Republican leaning independent, I fully support Hillary for president, for no reason other than Trump is a racist and a demagogue and I cannot morally support him.

Friend, you're tearing up my heart, just like you're tearing up the Republican Party.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2016, 04:28:02 AM »

Rep. Chris Stewart (UT), while not explicitly committing to #NeverTrump, nonetheless compared Trump to Mussolini earlier this week, so I'm guessing he's not a fan:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/natemcdermott/utah-republican-on-trump-hes-our-mussolini#.swVKnv0XP

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2016, 11:54:31 AM »

Rep. Chris Stewart (UT), while not explicitly committing to #NeverTrump, nonetheless compared Trump to Mussolini earlier this week, so I'm guessing he's not a fan:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/natemcdermott/utah-republican-on-trump-hes-our-mussolini#.swVKnv0XP

I find it quite amusing that someone who compares Trump to Mussolini thinks not voting for him in the general may be a bridge too far.

Partisanship is a hell of a drug.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »

I find it quite amusing that someone who compares Trump to Mussolini thinks not voting for him in the general may be a bridge too far.

I feel like Stewart would actually support somebody else in the general, although not publicly. It's just that there are a lot of crazies in Utah, and I haven't completely lost faith in the elected Republicans yet.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2016, 12:06:19 PM »

As JK Rowling wrote in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", there comes a time when we must choose between what is right, and what is easy.

For Republicans office-holders that time is about to come.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2016, 03:41:53 PM »

He didn't say he would vote for Trump in the general, AFAIK.  I'm not sure he's said explicitly what he would do in that circumstance one way or the other.  I'm taking his Mussolini comments as a suggestion that he probably wouldn't, but I just wanted to clarify that he didn't explicitly address that topic, while nonetheless  comparing him to Mussolini(!).

Someone should ask all 200+ Republican members of the House whether they'd vote for Trump in the GE, like the WaPo did for the Senate.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2016, 08:55:07 PM »

To be fair, there are always non-endorsers. Chafee refused to support Bush in 2004, Boren refused to support Obama in 2008.

Usually just a max of one or two major officeholders per election though.

That's true, but I wonder how many of "never Trump" crowd would eventually fall in line if he's nominated. It would be quite difficult to face questions "why are you supporting liberal Hillary?"

Easy. The alternative is a racist demagogue with echoes of Benito Mussolini and policies similar to that of Nazi Germany. The alternative seems happy to have the support of white suprematists. That alone makes this election about more than mere politics, it's about what it means to be a citizen of this country. If being an American means a return to the kind of bigotry and hatred of the past, then by all means vote for Trump. But if not, the only alternative is Hillary.

Now I'm a Trump voter, at least in the primary.  I voted for him because I agreed with him on my big three issues of (1) anti-Free Trade, (2) anti-war and nation-building, and (3) reigning in illegal and reducing overall immigration (as I believe this to be both the National Will and the National Interest).  The Trump Show doesn't do much for me.  The Hostile Takeover of the GOP Establishment makes me happy, however; they have done their darndest to get large blocs of Republicans to vote against their interest for decades, so now those chickens are coming home to roost. 

I have respect for the Republicans who say they won't support Trump.  Some of them have deep policy differences, some of them are afraid of alienating Democrats they need to be re-elected, and some honestly don't like his persona.  What I don't have respect for are those Republicans who put Trump down, call him a bigot, racist, etc, but then say he's better than Hillary, so they'll support him if he's the nominee.  They're only better than the cowards who won't answer the question on the grounds that "Trump's not going to be the nominee."
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2016, 09:01:03 PM »

My reasons against Trump are both policy and persona. While I agree with some elements (reigning in immigration) I oppose him because his history supporting of Hillary and other liberal establishment types on both sides.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2016, 09:02:25 PM »

My reasons being against Trump in order of most to lease importance to me:

1.) his ban on Muslims
2.) his god awful persona
3.) he has no substantive policy plans
4.) he can't be trusted.
P123

Political Matrix
E: 3.64, S: 3.20

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2016, 03:41:52 AM »

Clearly he embodies more of the heart and soul of the GOP then boy toy Marco Rubio. Seeing as how Trump has dominated everywhere from Hawaii to Alabama to Massachusetts.

#NeverTrump people don't seem to understand the Republican party is against open borders.
P123

Political Matrix
E: 3.64, S: 3.20

« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2016, 03:45:11 AM »

Thats why the Republican establishment and the #NeverTrump people are some of the most pathetic people out their. They call Trump Mussolini/Hitler, yet would support him anyways.

Pretty pathetic stuff.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies