Maine: Favorable ratings for Governor, Senator, President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:48:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Maine: Favorable ratings for Governor, Senator, President
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maine: Favorable ratings for Governor, Senator, President  (Read 2852 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2005, 03:34:55 PM »

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/state/050528baldaccirates.shtml

From the top...

Governor Balducci:  29% favorable, 37% unfavorable
Senator Collins:  58% favorable, 16% unfavorable
Senator Snowe: 65% favorable, 13% unfavorable
President Bush:  31% favorable, 53% unfavorable

Baldacci's 'favorability' at 29 percent

By CLARKE CANFIELD, Associated Press

©Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

A telephone survey that tracks what Mainers think of their political leaders has given Gov. John Baldacci a favorability rating of 29 percent, half that of Maine's two U.S. senators and lower than that of President Bush.

Eighteen months before Baldacci seeks a second term, 37 percent of those surveyed said they had an unfavorable opinion of him, while 34 percent were undecided. The governor's job approval rating, a separate question from favorability rating, has gone down 18 percent since last fall, according to the survey released Friday.

"I think there's been a steady erosion of support for the governor," said MaryEllen FitzGerald, president of Critical Insights, the Portland company that conducted the poll.

Baldacci told reporters that he's not concerned about the falling numbers, and said they're not surprising given the tough challenges the state is facing.

"Polls go up and down. They come and go," he said.

For the survey, Critical Insights called 600 Mainers by telephone from May 12-19 asking their opinions of Bush, Baldacci, Sens. Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins, and U.S. Reps. Tom Allen and Mike Michaud. The survey had a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Thirty-one percent of Mainers had a favorable opinion of Bush, while 53 percent had an unfavorable opinion, according to the survey.

Snowe was given a favorable rating from 65 percent of the respondents, while 13 percent said they had a negative opinion of her. Fifty-eight percent had a favorable opinion of Collins, while 16 percent had an unfavorable opinion.

Tom Allen's favorability rating stood at 43 percent, with 17 percent giving him an unfavorable rating. Twenty-nine percent gave Michaud a favorable rating, with 11 percent having an unfavorable opinion.

The survey also gauged Baldacci's job approval rating, which now stands at 43 percent. That's the first time since Baldacci became governor that his job approval rating has fallen below his disapproval rating, which came in at 45 percent, the survey said.

Baldacci had a 61 percent job approval rating last fall, and a 54 percent job approval rating a year ago.

FitzGerald said the economy is the No. 1 concern of residents, and that their opinion of Baldacci has fallen with a bleak economic outlook.

The second day into the survey, the Pentagon announced that it was recommending that Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery and a military processing center in Limestone be closed, and that the Brunswick Naval Air Station be realigned.

If the Pentagon's recommendations are approved, Maine stands to lose up to 12,000 jobs directly and indirectly.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 03:44:18 PM »

What has Badacci really done bad?  I have to admit I don't know that much about Maine state politics
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 03:53:50 PM »

What has Badacci really done bad?  I have to admit I don't know that much about Maine state politics

I honestly don't know why either.  I was just posting information I've read on other sites to be frank.  Smiley
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 01:05:17 AM »

Wow, I was always under the impression that he was fairly popular.  Guess I was wrong on that one.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 03:13:46 PM »

SUSA released a poll saying that his ratings were very favorable, didn't they?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 03:19:17 PM »

Nope - he had a higher unfavuorable than favourable rating there, too. That took a lot of people by surprise, I suppose, considering that Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball called him "popular" recently.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 03:28:54 PM »

Nope - he had a higher unfavuorable than favourable rating there, too. That took a lot of people by surprise, I suppose, considering that Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball called him "popular" recently.

Yep, I saw that too, though I've lost the link to those polls. 

I think his favorables were in the 30s, whereas his unfavorables were in the 40-50s.

Mainers (or Mainiacs, as I prefer to call them) are rather unpredictable, but my guess would be that this has to do with the economy as opposed to anything else, which is not terribly good up there right now.

Nonetheless, the Republican bench in Maine is really small, so unless Olympia Snowe decides to run, I really don't see a good challenger against him from there.  Maybe the Democrats or an Independent, though I doubt that also.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 03:30:01 PM »

His SUSA disapproval was 55%-37%.

http://www.surveyusa.com/50governorsrated051005.htm
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 03:31:40 PM »

Thanks.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 03:32:42 PM »

No problem. And if you have trouble finding it in the future, it's the first Google result for "50 governors" (with or without the quotes). Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 03:40:17 PM »

No problem. And if you have trouble finding it in the future, it's the first Google result for "50 governors" (with or without the quotes). Smiley

Wow, surprised it's that popular.  They must have been screwing with the Google algorhythm.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 06:07:14 PM »

Wow, surprised it's that popular.  They must have been screwing with the Google algorhythm.

I thought so at first, too. However, if you look at the entire first page, every single site is linking to the page. Apparently enough major sites and blogs linked to it to get it up there. Very weird.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 07:32:48 PM »

The results of this poll were terrible for the states. Only tiny states had popular governors. Almost all the big states had very unpopular governors.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 07:36:31 PM »

The results of this poll were terrible for the states. Only tiny states had popular governors. Almost all the big states had very unpopular governors.

Warner does the best of a big state, he's got 55-31 ratings.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 08:15:06 PM »

Why does that mean they were terrible? Controversy is less likely for small-state Governors, I suppose.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 08:15:41 PM »

Why does that mean they were terrible? Controversy is less likely for small-state Governors, I suppose.

It means most people are unhappy with their governors.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 08:52:03 PM »

It means most people are unhappy with their governors.

Ohh! I thought you meant the survey was wrong. Sorry.
MissCatholic

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 04:10:52 AM »

i agree totally. Though it does seem to be a state that doesnt like the Republicans policy on passports.

I read something about people in Maine need passports to get across the border. yet the mcdonalds is in canada while kfc in america. not fair!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies