Democrats see Trump as a formidable opponent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:27:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democrats see Trump as a formidable opponent
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats see Trump as a formidable opponent  (Read 1855 times)
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2016, 01:03:40 PM »

I think this article is a good read that provides a potential glimpse into the upcoming GE campaign:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/01/us/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-general-election.html

Select quotes:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 01:43:05 PM »

I think the Secretary has learned her lesson not to be too overconfident, after losing NH.
No, the Democrats shouldn't expect to win without giving it their best. We all remember 2000, when beating someone like Bush should have been easy. 1964 would be nice, but more than likely it won't be that much of a landslide, so Clinton should be very very careful.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 01:43:57 PM »

TRUMP will defeat her in the fall, so yes he's formidable.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 01:52:15 PM »

Yep she should be very careful that the scale of her defeat isn't as bad as Dukakis' s 1988 loss😊
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 01:59:33 PM »

Yep she should be very careful that the scale of her defeat isn't as bad as Dukakis' s 1988 loss😊

Get on board THE TRUMP TRAIN. I was wrong about Trump, after actually doing the research on him, he should have been my 2nd choice after all.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 02:00:36 PM »

I'm sure the battle over Nebraska's 1st congressional district is making Hillary quake in her boots, but I think she'll take it in the end.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 02:02:44 PM »

The silent majority will no longer stand by as frauds like the Clintons and Bushes take our country away!
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 02:04:31 PM »

Get on board THE TRUMP TRAIN. I was wrong about Trump, after actually doing the research on him, he should have been my 2nd choice after all.

I knew you'd come around, bro. Smiley
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:12:11 PM »

Haven't you been wrong about literally everything so far? Perhaps you should take the hint.
Zache

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 03:14:17 PM »

oh god it's like an infectious disease at this point
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 03:22:26 PM »

oh god it's like an infectious disease at this point

Don't call it a disease. TRUMP will save America. The real diseases are the twin Democratic Party monsters, and Cruz the Canuck and Rubio the Robot.
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 03:53:18 PM »

Americans want a principled man of the people that can get stuff done so they'll select a flip flopping billionaire...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 03:59:19 PM »

He's very formidable. I would never underestimate him in the general. He's beating politicians at their own game, and it's not even close.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 04:15:41 PM »

The silent majority will no longer stand by as frauds like the Clintons and Bushes take our country away!

Exactly! Why vote for another Goldman Sachs' lackey, when you can vote for a bigoted, cowardly, bullying billionaire instead?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 06:41:14 PM »

LibRep, I love you! We all love you!
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 07:17:55 PM »

He's very formidable. I would never underestimate him in the general. He's beating politicians at their own game, and it's not even close.

This.

Why is it shocking that Trump would be a "formidable opponent"?  He's been the frontrunner from the beginning; the one constant in the GOP race has been Trump's lead.  He has support from all types of Republicans, and he has support of the most VIBRANT GOP voters at this point.  The vibrant activists that were supposed to propel Cruz have defected in large numbers to Trump.  Indeed, a number of "Establishment Republicans" have defected to Trump to stop Cruz.

Stopping Trump from being nominated will probably be impossible after tonight without resorting to heavy-handed tactics that would not go over well with the voters that support Trump.  And the GOP NEEDS these voters to win, and to elect Senators to boot.  How will it play if they manipulate to gain a brokered convention, then force an "airlifted" candidate on the GOP in a brokered convention?  How will Trump voters feel about getting behind a ticket of John Thune and Nikki Haley? 

Stopping Trump in the general will require shoring up the Democratic base.  Trump is a Map Expander; he's not likely to finish in the Blue/Red box we've been in for so long.  I think that this year, the electorate will swing strongly, one way or the other.  I also think that Trump, while having the capacity to do himself in, has the capacity to rally folks for a mini-landslide.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »

This is a good development if true.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 08:25:06 PM »

Despite it's impressive length, it's a nimble navigator, and some can be highly venomous. As quick as lightning, just like the tarantula it's killing, the centipede has two curved hollow fangs which inject paralyzing venom. Even tarantulas aren't immune from an ambush.

This centipede is a predator...

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies