Romney SLAMS Trump; first excerpts from speech
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:12:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Romney SLAMS Trump; first excerpts from speech
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Romney SLAMS Trump; first excerpts from speech  (Read 4381 times)
politicallpd
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2016, 06:09:12 AM »
« edited: March 03, 2016, 06:19:08 AM by politicallpd »

"Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud. His promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University. He's playing the American public for suckers: He gets a free ride to the White House and all we get is a lousy hat.

His domestic policies would lead to recession. His foreign policies would make America and the world less safe. He has neither the temperament nor the judgment to be president. And his personal qualities would mean that America would cease to be a shining city on a hill."

Credit to Mark Halperin for the excerpts.

Frankly, while this a pretty forceful speech, I don't see how the establishment former nominee slamming Trump necessarily hurts him. Maybe it does, but I don't really think it will.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 06:29:38 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2016, 08:43:58 AM by Meclazine »

Here is the video of Romney talking about Trump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlD4hwzGhdY

"The Donald" is like the familiar uncle you have.

The more you attack him, the more people seem to like him.

But the Republican party have decided to get him out before the nomination.

This is going to be a certified disaster.

Hillary may as well be given the keys to the White House now.
Admiral Kizaru
Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -3.83

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 06:44:26 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2016, 06:47:03 AM by Admiral Kizaru »

So basically exactly what Rubio, Cruz and all the other establishment figures in the media have been already saying for the past two weeks?

If it didn't work for them, why does Romney think it'll work for him?
Panda Express

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:07:39 AM »

RIP Romney. Trump is going to eviscerate you on Twitter.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 07:12:13 AM »

RIP Romney. Trump is going to eviscerate you on Twitter.

....with misspelled words, no doubt.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 07:13:07 AM »

I hope people listen to him. Everything on this excerpt is absolutely true.
Admiral Kizaru
Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -3.83

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 07:16:24 AM »

Here are the full excerpts released ahead of the speech:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 08:35:27 AM »

Oh, Mitt.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 09:23:39 AM »

So basically exactly what Rubio, Cruz and all the other establishment figures in the media have been already saying for the past two weeks?

If it didn't work for them, why does Romney think it'll work for him?

It's not about what is said but how forcefully it is said. All I remember from Romney is him bring a very poor speaker.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 09:32:29 AM »

This will swing all those Trump voters.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 09:38:47 AM »

Let's go Romney! Bring the 2x4!
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 09:40:30 AM »

It's not about that but rather growing the anti trump in the general election to send a message to his Neanderthal supporters
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 09:46:39 AM »

Ye God's! The "establishment" who ever they may be,  the "donor class" are really scared when they trot Mitt Romney out to deliver the talking points. I to say it, but I'm deeply disappointed in Romney; wasn't he portrayed as a "Gordon Gekko" character and perhaps for good reason as well. But enough about Mitts,  a keen observation, but the whole speech was about being negative and pointing out how Trump is this and Trump is that blah blah...yada yada yada...yawn. I noticed not once did Trump mentioned about how the average Joe Six-Pack is now the sucker,  as his like and you can bunch Obama and Clinton with his number...have been compromised by a system where the "donor class" is supreme and they are frantically trying to retain there cozy relationship with the power brokers, Trump threatens that; this crowd don't care about the mini controversies which have popped up; they don't care about his rhetoric;  what they care about, there's a good chance they will find there cozy little world comes to a crashing halt with Trump in the White House. They sure as hell don't care about the voters who have been supporting Trump; because they will eagerly sell out America to the Chinese and Mexicans for there 30 pieces of Silver. Romney's speech will not put a dent in Trump's March towards the nomination; he's basically regurgitating the same talking points which Marco Rubio has been reciting. If Romney is your best! Establishment guys, I hate to see your worst 😊😉
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 09:50:41 AM »

Frankly, while this a pretty forceful speech, I don't see how the establishment former nominee slamming Trump necessarily hurts him. Maybe it does, but I don't really think it will.

The attacks are working; Trump isn't getting the delegates he needs to win the nomination outright, which is the bottom line.

Anyone to insults George W. Bush over 9/11 while praising Putin isn't winning the GOP nomination. That would be like Margaret Thatcher winning the Labour Party nomination.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »

I wonder if they'll trot out McCain, W and HW Bush, and even rope Dole into speaking out against Trump.  Have every living Republican presidential nominee anti-endorse him.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 09:55:35 AM »

The attacks are working; Trump isn't getting the delegates he needs to win the nomination outright, which is the bottom line.

Anyone to insults George W. Bush over 9/11 while praising Putin isn't winning the GOP nomination. That would be like Margaret Thatcher winning the Labour Party nomination.

Stop saying it because it isn't true - Donald Trump is ahead of schedule, not behind.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 10:02:09 AM »

Stop saying it because it isn't true - Donald Trump is ahead of schedule, not behind.

He doesn't have a majority of the delegates allotted thus far, and Carson dropping out will help Cruz. A brokered convention is still the most likely outcome, though that scenario would produce either a Trump nomination or a walk-out by him and his supporters.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 10:04:47 AM »

He doesn't have a majority of the delegates allotted thus far, and Carson dropping out will help Cruz. A brokered convention is still the most likely outcome, though that scenario would produce either a Trump nomination or a walk-out by him and his supporters.

On paper, yes, Carson should be splitting to Cruz - but that's not how it's split in practice (where it sort of breaks evenly everywhere, though Trump gets the least and Rubio gets the most).
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 10:11:36 AM »

Great speech, Mitt.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 10:17:36 AM »

Right; the FiveThirtyEight projection has Trump winning Ohio. But notice how Romney included Kasich in his speech. The establishment strategy has shifted from trying to push Kasich out of the race, to keeping him in the race to win Ohio.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 10:19:06 AM »

Will the speech matter? No. IMO

The ONLY thing that can stop Trump at this point is a brokered convention.

And the only way that can happen is if he loses both OHIO and FLORIDA March 15th, which is highly doubtful. I expect him to win atleast one of those states and he has a decent shot to win both.

But March 15th is the last day Republicans have to stop Trump. Florida and Ohio will be it. Trump wins either state and he will get the delegate count needed.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 10:23:28 AM »

People are still convinced that Trump is just a flash in the pan and a flavor of the month, when that clearly isn't the case. A speech isn't going to stop him from winning, it probably will just improve his chances.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 10:25:10 AM »

Right; the FiveThirtyEight projection has Trump winning Ohio. But notice how Romney included Kasich in his speech. The establishment strategy has shifted from trying to push Kasich out of the race, to keeping him in the race to win Ohio.

I've said that for a few weeks now. They NEED Kasich to stay in the race the establishment. There is only one way left to stop Trump that is a brokered convention and for that to happen two things HAVE to happen on March 15th for any chance it is brokered. Rubio needs to find a way to win Florida and Kasich needs to find a way to win Ohio.

If Kasich drops out Trump would easily win Ohio and it would be game over. The establishment can't have Kasich drop out until Ohio.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 10:37:36 AM »

An outright TRUMP victory in the delegate count may be better in the long-term for the Establishment than a brokered convention.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »

probably won't hurt him in the primary, but attacks like this sure won't help him win the general.

They sure don't like him, but would the establishment GOP rather have Trump nominating the next SCOTUS justice or Clinton?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies