Political Compass rewrite
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:13:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Political Compass rewrite
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Political Compass rewrite  (Read 794 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2005, 05:03:27 PM »

Due to the complains here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=22849.0 I thought I'd try to rewrite the PC questions going 1 page at a time. Give your thoughts on these or how they could be made better. Mind you there are some questions I don't think belong there but I'll keep them in this anyway, although I think some people are missing the big picture with ones such as the astrology question (they appear to think that only religious right folks could end up on the authoritarian side. But Hitler believed in astrology, as did several Latin American dictators.)

so here's the first two pages for now:

The interests of common people should always take priority over those of transnational corporations in economic globalization.

I am always inclined to support my country when even when it's not completely in the right.

No one chooses his or her country of birth, so it's foolish to be proud of it. (this one is fine)

Different races are superior and inferior to others in many ways.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. (this one is fine)

Countries should put their own interests ahead of international law.

There is now a worrying fusion of information and entertainment. (this one is fine)

page 2:

People are ultimately divided more by class than by nationality. (this one is fine)

Controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment. (this one is fine)

It is important to protect the environment even when this means further regulations on corporations.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" is a fundamentally good idea. (this one is fine)

It's a sad reflection on our society that something as basic as drinking water is now a bottled, branded consumer product. (this one is fine)

It is unfortunate that now land is just another commodity to be bought and sold

We should try to ensure that people who contribute nothing valuable to society do not end up the wealthiest

Protectionism is sometimes necessary in trade. (this one is fine)

Delivering a profit to its shareholders should be a company's top priority.

The rich are too highly taxed. (this one is fine)

Those with the ability to pay should have the right to higher standards of medical care . (this one is fine)

The government should step in whenever businesses engage in misleading advertising

In order to be truly and geninualy free, a free market requires some restrictions

A free market is one of the most important things as to how free overall a nation is.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 05:28:52 PM »

Not bad. Some comments:

The interests of common people should always take priority over those of transnational corporations in economic globalization.

This is still too likely to result in a liberal answer.  I would personally change it to "The government should assure that the interests of humanity are put ahead of those of international corporations." It still leans liberal, but it's much less suggestive.

I am always inclined to support my country when even when it's not completely in the right.

For some reason, people are a lot less likely to agree with a question if it has "always" in it, I've observed. It makes them feel too predictable. I would remove that word. Otherwise, it's OK.

No one chooses his or her country of birth, so it's foolish to be proud of it. (this one is fine)

This question tends to result in a conservative answer, but it's good enough.

Different races are superior and inferior to others in many ways.

I don't like the wording on this. Honestly, it's too likely to make people want to avoid looking racist. I'd remove this and replace it with something entirely different.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. (this one is fine)

Good enough.

Countries should put their own interests ahead of international law.

I thought the original wording was acceptable, but this change isn't bad at all.

There is now a worrying fusion of information and entertainment. (this one is fine)

More cultural than political, but fine.

page 2:

People are ultimately divided more by class than by nationality. (this one is fine)

Usually gets a liberal answer, honestly.  I don't like it.

Controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment. (this one is fine)

This one is fine.

It is important to protect the environment even when this means further regulations on corporations.

I'd change the wording to "Corporations should be regulated to assure that they do not hurt the environment," but otherwise it's good.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" is a fundamentally good idea. (this one is fine)

Fine, indeed.

It's a sad reflection on our society that something as basic as drinking water is now a bottled, branded consumer product. (this one is fine)

Not really political, but tends to sort people into the right camp.

It is unfortunate that now land is just another commodity to be bought and sold

I like this change, because it is likely to bring out those who don't necessarily object to trading of land, but pine for a "better system."

We should try to ensure that people who contribute nothing valuable to society do not end up the wealthiest

Good.

Protectionism is sometimes necessary in trade. (this one is fine)

Fine.

Delivering a profit to its shareholders should be a company's top priority.

The previous one was too liberal, this one is too conservative. I'd suggest a chance to "A company's first priority should be delivering profit to its shareholders."

The rich are too highly taxed. (this one is fine)

One of the best, simplest questions on the test.

Those with the ability to pay should have the right to higher standards of medical care . (this one is fine)

Never liked this one. Response is too liberal. Is the government going to stop people from paying for health care of an extremely high quality, or something? I'd personally change it to "The government should provide health care services for those who have difficulties affording it."

The government should step in whenever businesses engage in misleading advertising

"Step in" is a little too slang-like for me. I'd suggest "The government should punish companies that engage in misleading advertising."

In order to be truly and geninualy free, a free market requires some restrictions

Way too liberal response on this one. I would change it to "The only truly free market is a fair market."

A free market is one of the most important things as to how free overall a nation is.

Good question, but bad phrasing. I'd change it to "A free market is an essential component of freedom in general."

As a final note, I think there are too many "cultural" questions. You may have to remove some perfectly reasonable questions, like the one about bottled watter being a poor reflection on society, and replace them with actual policy questions in order to make the test seem more down-to-earth.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 06:42:44 PM »

My personal opinion on this is that it's a bit misleading economically.  You cannot, in the long term, trade unemployment for inflation--that's the myth of the Phillips Curve which the stagflation of the 1970's disproved.

You can have lower inflation in the long term by having higher unemployment in the short term (1981-1982 recession), or lower unemployment in the short term by having higher inflation in the long term (60's boom, 70's inflation)...but there's really no long-term tradeoff.  So the question seems a bit antiquated to me.
WilliamSeward
sepoy1857
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 06:45:33 PM »

My personal opinion on this is that it's a bit misleading economically.  You cannot, in the long term, trade unemployment for inflation--that's the myth of the Phillips Curve which the stagflation of the 1970's disproved.

You can have lower inflation in the long term by having higher unemployment in the short term (1981-1982 recession), or lower unemployment in the short term by having higher inflation in the long term (60's boom, 70's inflation)...but there's really no long-term tradeoff.  So the question seems a bit antiquated to me.

Erc, I suspect this question is less about a policy decision and more about generalized values, in which case it is a good one.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 06:50:25 PM »

Erc, I suspect this question is less about a policy decision and more about generalized values, in which case it is a good one.

Well, yes.  But it still doesn't prevent me from not liking the question.  One of my greatest pet peeves are false dichotomies...
WilliamSeward
sepoy1857
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 06:53:47 PM »

Well, yes.  But it still doesn't prevent me from not liking the question.  One of my greatest pet peeves are false dichotomies...

Fair enough
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 09:35:53 PM »

Yep.  The Phillips Curve has broken down in the last few decades. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 10:28:33 PM »

pages 3 and 4:

Abortion should be legal in most or all circumstances

It is important to question authority

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. (fine)

If an entity can not survive on its own, it should not be propped up through federal funds

Schools should not make classroom attendance compulsory. (fine)

All people have their rights, but certain types of people do not mix very well

It is OK for parents to spank their children

There is nothing wrong with children keeping some secrets from their parents

Marijuana should be legalised. (fine)

The prime function of schooling should be to equip the future generation to find jobs. (fine)

People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce. (fine)

Discipline is one of the most important aspects of raising children

Certain elements of cultures may be unsavory, but the generally the overall culture is simply different from others, not inferior or superior

It's not society's business to take care of people who refuse to work.

When you are troubled, it's better not to think about it, but to keep busy with more cheerful things. (I'd just throw this one out)

Generally first-generation immigrants do not fully integrate with their new country

What benefits business also benefits society

There should be no public broadcasting

page 4:

Our civil liberties are being excessively curbed in the name of counter-terrorism. (fine)

The arguments that delay a democratic system are a valid reason to consider a one party state

If you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about from increased surveillance

The death penalty should be an option for the most serious crimes.  (fine)

Some sort of heirarchy is neccesary in a civilized society.

Abstract art that doesn't represent anything shouldn't be considered art at all. (throw out)

The purpose of criminal justice is for punishment just as much as rehabilitation

Some criminals can not be rehabilitated

The businessperson and the manufacturer are more important than the writer and the artist. (fine)

Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers. (fine)

Developing countries are frequently unfairly exploited by multinational corporations

One must make peace with the establishment is neccesary to be mature
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 12:02:15 AM »

It is OK for parents to spank their children

There is nothing wrong with children keeping some secrets from their parents

I think these two should combined into one question as both are parent - child related.

On the other hand, I think we should all get together and write a whole new test.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies